Husker/Hawkeye Game Thread

Who is inexperienced? Binns? Daniels? Nielsen? Hyde? Prater? Coker? McNutt? Davis? O-Line? can't think of anyone.
Nardo, Bigach, Daniel, Morris, Kirksey, Miller, Bernstein, Lowery, Vandenberg, Tobin/Scherff, Herman, Fiedorowicz, Derby, Martin-Manley.

Just off the top of my head. I'd have to look at everyone on the roster to see who all played this year.

Who was so inexperienced this year? Seriously, I'd like to know.

The following all had playing time this year, some due to need, some due to injury, etc. but none of them with very much playing time in the past. I realize some of them were either hurt in the past or are themselves young, but were playing vital minutes this year without much prior experience and several of them won't be returning or will be seniors next year, therefore not young.

Sleeper, Miller, Bernstine, Castillo, White, Donatell, Lowery, DiBona, Herman, Bigach, Daniels, Tobin, Orne, Donnal, Alvis, Staggs, Z. Derby, Nardo, Forgy, Gaglione, (as well as JVB, KMM, Kirksey, Hitchens, Scherff)

Our definitions of inexperience are clearly different. No wonder you think this is a rebuilding year. :-(

By my count we had roughly 6 guys on offense and 5 or 6 on defense that had enough quality playing time to be considered experienced. A few plays here or there or even enough to be most of a couple of games is not enough quality game time experience in D1 football in the Big Ten. By this count about half of our starting team could be considered inexperienced which by most peoples standards would be a rebuilding year.

By my count we had roughly 6 guys on offense and 5 or 6 on defense that had enough quality playing time to be considered experienced. A few plays here or there or even enough to be most of a couple of games is not enough quality game time experience in D1 football in the Big Ten. By this count about half of our starting team could be considered inexperienced which by most peoples standards would be a rebuilding year.

so the next couple years will be rebuilding years? personnel turnover is part of the game. rarely do you have a situation like last year with sooo many seniors.

next year will be difficult too, then after that we start all over again with a new QB. just how it goes.

so the next couple years will be rebuilding years? personnel turnover is part of the game. rarely do you have a situation like last year with sooo many seniors.

next year will be difficult too, then after that we start all over again with a new QB. just how it goes.

Isn't this pretty much the life of a non-powerhouse program? It seems that most programs have their best years when they have a lot of seniors and have mediocre years when they don't.

Right, bcl. Some people don't understand the reality that Iowa isn't a powerhouse program, meaning powerhouse recruits with true speed (the one thing that sets great teams apart) aren't funneling through Iowa. Those same people also don't understand the fact that admitting Iowa isn't a powerhouse program doesn't mean you accept mediocrity.

Look, this season hasn't been great. I get that. Losing to Minnesota is ridiculous, losing to Iowa State is really bad, but this team wasn't going to be a Top 20 team with BCS aspirtations. That wouldn't have changed no matter who was coaching. One roller coaster year does not mean mutiny, a total overhaul of the program or armageddon.

Our definitions of inexperience are clearly different. No wonder you think this is a rebuilding year. :-(
Which of the guys I mentioned do you consider experienced? Does spot play on special teams equal experienced in your mind?

Iowa combined a lot of inexperience with low talent in positions of need. Plain and simply, Lebron Daniel, Steve Bigach, Thomas Nardo and Tanner Miller really aren't that good to beging with. Heck, Nielsen isn't even that good. That's half of the defense right there. Clayborn, Ballard, Klug, Sash and Greenwood represtend a lot of playmaking ability for Iowa. That was one thing that was majorly lacking from the defense this year.