Husker fans keep amazing me

Anybody have anything to back this up? I would love to rub this in the face of a couple bugeaters who brag about their "streak".
If we would have done that for a couple games we would be right there with them. I think we have only not sold out 2 or 3 games since ball st 2002.

Ive often wondered this also. They sell out the stadium with boosters and tickets sales from box offices. Not every seat in Memorial is full. Yes the ticket is sold so technically its sold out but as far as butts in the seat.

That would be Nooo scott.

It would be interesting to play for some corn but maybe we can swap corn for soy beans or something LOL.

Anybody have anything to back this up? I would love to rub this in the face of a couple bugeaters who brag about their "streak".
If we would have done that for a couple games we would be right there with them. I think we have only not sold out 2 or 3 games since ball st 2002.

He can't back it up because its simply not true. There were absolutely days during the Callahan years were tickets were available at the box office right up to game day, but they all eventually sold. I can't guarantee that a booster didn't buy a couple hunderd up on those days, but there was NEVER any sort of free ticket give away. Also, right there with them has to go back a lot farther than 2002, the streak started in November of 1962.

Look, I'm certainly not coming on your board to flame at all, just wanted to provide some info. I don't post here much, but I like this board so I come by to read (not just possible Big Ten stuff, but off topic too). Its a good board, headed up by a great guy in Jon. I really look forward to a series with the Hawks if it works out. I usually make it over to Kinnick every couple years, and love to tailgate with you all. I look forward to a very competitive rivalry.

IowaHusker- if the fanbase was as gracious as you- life would be good. About 95% of my family lives in NE, and that is the reason I have really learned to dis-like them (the Huskers, not my family). I completely 100% respect their tradition, and I think they are probably one of the top 5-7 programs of all time. The problem lies with their obsession, and yes, arrogant feelings when comparing themselves to other schools. My family members in particular, while completely normal god-fearing christians outside of football talk, go completely nuts when discussing the football team. They think they are the best team ever, with nobody coming in 2nd because they are so much better. It's truly a sight to see. They don't have opinions, because in their minds they are facts.
Meanwhile, back on earth, we have been in the same boat as them over the past 10 yrs or so. We have 4 tops 10's, victories over top 5, top 10 and top 20 teams. How have they done in the past few years beating any team worth a crap? Last year was the worst as they continually talk down about the B10, easy schedule, blah, blah blah. Then after the dust settles, the B10 has 3 teams in the top 10 and 4 in the top 15. Iowa had the 11th toughest schedule in the country last year..... where do they come up with their claims?
Overall, I don't want them to come to the B10 because their fans remind me of the friend that everyone has that is ALWAYS talking about how good he is, and talking down to others. All while being no better than the people they talk to. The 90's are over.... time to move on.
rant over.

wow...did you join this site just to type that? lol

iowahusker, i liked what you had to say. seems like you have a good head on your shoulders...and WHEN this whole deal goes through, i'd have a beer with ya at kinnick anytime

IowaHusker- if the fanbase was as gracious as you- life would be good. About 95% of my family lives in NE, and that is the reason I have really learned to dis-like them (the Huskers, not my family). I completely 100% respect their tradition, and I think they are probably one of the top 5-7 programs of all time. The problem lies with their obsession, and yes, arrogant feelings when comparing themselves to other schools. My family members in particular, while completely normal god-fearing christians outside of football talk, go completely nuts when discussing the football team. They think they are the best team ever, with nobody coming in 2nd because they are so much better. It's truly a sight to see. They don't have opinions, because in their minds they are facts.
Meanwhile, back on earth, we have been in the same boat as them over the past 10 yrs or so. We have 4 tops 10's, victories over top 5, top 10 and top 20 teams. How have they done in the past few years beating any team worth a crap? Last year was the worst as they continually talk down about the B10, easy schedule, blah, blah blah. Then after the dust settles, the B10 has 3 teams in the top 10 and 4 in the top 15. Iowa had the 11th toughest schedule in the country last year..... where do they come up with their claims?
Overall, I don't want them to come to the B10 because their fans remind me of the friend that everyone has that is ALWAYS talking about how good he is, and talking down to others. All while being no better than the people they talk to. The 90's are over.... time to move on.
rant over.
Couldn't have said it better. It's truly difficult being in close proximity to these people. Let them keep their Big Red Religion in their own conference.

rant over.
Nicely said, I completely agree.

There are too many of these idiot Husker fans living in central Iowa already. I'd rather not give them any more reason to engage me in conversation about the upcoming "big game".

There are too many of these idiot Husker fans living in central Iowa already. I'd rather not give them any more reason to engage me in conversation about the upcoming "big game".

I say bring 'em on, I'll gladly converse the game with them as long as they can take it as well as they dish it out.

Try living in Northwest Iowa. It really is unbearable, and I'm not exaggerating. I've enjoyed the last decade watching them struggle to win the mighty Big 12 North.

I always welcome opposing fans to the Kinnick experience. Always invite them to stop at our tailgate when I see them walk by. If they are going to make the effort to travel to IC to follow their team, they are OK by me.
I cringe when I see hooligan style hospitality shown to opposing fans at any stadium.
It reflects poorly on the college sports. I have always felt that way, even when I was much younger.

Well said, completely agree, and this has always been my approach also. My standard postgame line was "thanks for coming, drive safely". Try it, its easy and makes an impression.

He can't back it up because its simply not true. There were absolutely days during the Callahan years were tickets were available at the box office right up to game day, but they all eventually sold. I can't guarantee that a booster didn't buy a couple hunderd up on those days, but there was NEVER any sort of free ticket give away. Also, right there with them has to go back a lot farther than 2002, the streak started in November of 1962.

You would be wrong that there were never tickets given away because I went to a couple of games on those free tickets. There were about 5 games over 2 years that they sent out emails on Friday morning to alumni. They didn't go out to all alumni for each game and I am not sure how they decided how to determine which ones to send to for each game - but I had several co-workers that received them as well as my in-laws. It was first come, first serve at the ticket window bring the code from the email for 2 free tickets.

Well said, completely agree, and this has always been my approach also. My standard postgame line was "thanks for coming, drive safely". Try it, its easy and makes an impression.

I agree as well. Nothing irritates me more than watching a couple drunken morons act like complete jacka$$es to visiting fans. We should hold ourselves to a better standard than that. One of my proudest moments as a Hawk fan came a few years ago when Northwestern was at Kinnick, (the start of their win streak here:mad:) and they had brought their band along. Near the end of the game when it had become clear that we were going to lose, some nimrod in my section threw a bottle of water as hard as he could into the band's section, and started jeering at them. Almost in unison, me and about 20 other guys jumped out of our seats, and immediatly told this dumba$$ to beat it or else we would dump him out of the stadium on his head because "we are Hawk fans dammit, and we're above this BS!" Needless to say, the guy bailed out immediatly.

Later as we were leaving, a few members of the NW band came up to thank us for standing up for them, and that they'd never had any opposing teams fans show them that kind of respect before. Even though we lost that day, I was never prouder to be a Hawkeye!

I agree as well. Nothing irritates me more than watching a couple drunken morons act like complete jacka$$es to visiting fans. We should hold ourselves to a better standard than that. One of my proudest moments as a Hawk fan came a few years ago when Northwestern was at Kinnick, (the start of their win streak here:mad:) and they had brought their band along. Near the end of the game when it had become clear that we were going to lose, some nimrod in my section threw a bottle of water as hard as he could into the band's section, and started jeering at them. Almost in unison, me and about 20 other guys jumped out of our seats, and immediatly told this dumba$$ to beat it or else we would dump him out of the stadium on his head because "we are Hawk fans dammit, and we're above this BS!" Needless to say, the guy bailed out immediatly.

Later as we were leaving, a few members of the NW band came up to thank us for standing up for them, and that they'd never had any opposing teams fans show them that kind of respect before. Even though we lost that day, I was never prouder to be a Hawkeye!

Ill remember this on the chance nebraska wins in iowa city and i am confroted with a drunk beatdown with chants of kill the red man

That is not only what it means to be a Hawkeye - but to be a TRUE HAWK FAN. That 1 out of 20 drunken monkey should not be the face our fanbase and you and your fellow fans took care of it.

Good on ya.

That is not only what it means to be a Hawkeye - but to be a TRUE HAWK FAN. That 1 out of 20 drunken monkey should not be the face our fanbase and you and your fellow fans took care of it.

Good on ya.

In the same aspect, please dont assume that every husker fan is a dillusional tool stuck in the 90s. Most of us dont wear our ace of base t shirts and drink our zima while talking about the good old days. There are tools in every fan base so please try not to generalize. Its not like i havent had to endure tons of hawk and cyclone smacktalk while living in central iowa.

wow...did you join this site just to type that? lol

iowahusker, i liked what you had to say. seems like you have a good head on your shoulders...and WHEN this whole deal goes through, i'd have a beer with ya at kinnick anytime

No- I didn't join just for that. I have been lurking around for a while. I probably should have started with a different post though:D
Jon does a great job on this site, and I'm happy to be a member.

Iowahusker- you're invited to my tailgate any day of the week.

No- I didn't join just for that. I have been lurking around for a while. I probably should have started with a different post though:D
Jon does a great job on this site, and I'm happy to be a member.

Iowahusker- you're invited to my tailgate any day of the week.

My in-laws in Nebraska fortunately aren't as bad as your Husker family members. However, I must admit that I've run into plenty of them (Husker fans) that are just as you described.

However, for the most part, I don't mind Husker fans. I think that each of our fanbases have fringe elements who are particular vocal ... and make the whole seem nuttier than they really are. Nebby might have a disproportionately large number of those folks in the fringe ... however, I'm not sure that they're all that representative of the whole.

In my experience, Notre Dame fans are an even larger proportion of folks in the fringe ... so they tend to irk me a bit more.

My in-laws in Nebraska fortunately aren't as bad as your Husker family members. However, I must admit that I've run into plenty of them (Husker fans) that are just as you described.

However, for the most part, I don't mind Husker fans. I think that each of our fanbases have fringe elements who are particular vocal ... and make the whole seem nuttier than they really are. Nebby might have a disproportionately large number of those folks in the fringe ... however, I'm not sure that they're all that representative of the whole.

In my experience, Notre Dame fans are an even larger proportion of folks in the fringe ... so they tend to irk me a bit more.

I just really dislike anyone who thinks there stuff dont stink. My inlaws are Cyclone fans and you would think the way they talk they win the NC every year. When they beat us in lincoln last year you would of thought the 2nd coming of christ was at hand. I enjoy the cyclones and hawkeyes winning but when i say im a husker fan or wear a husker shirt to work and here comes the bashing. Bringin up the last 5 years. Especially 07 when we really bombed. Im just not that type of person so i just shrug my shoulders. Does get irritating though.

I just really dislike anyone who thinks there stuff dont stink. My inlaws are Cyclone fans and you would think the way they talk they win the NC every year. When they beat us in lincoln last year you would of thought the 2nd coming of christ was at hand. I enjoy the cyclones and hawkeyes winning but when i say im a husker fan or wear a husker shirt to work and here comes the bashing. Bringin up the last 5 years. Especially 07 when we really bombed. Im just not that type of person so i just shrug my shoulders. Does get irritating though.

I think that is where a history of winning tends to nicely lead a fan-base to not go too far overboard. When a program isn't as used to winning ... they tend to make a big to-do about ANY big victory. Of course, there I'm not referring to the reaction of the fringe there ... they almost always react like a bunch of crazies.

Of course, there are plenty of Hawk fans who enjoyed the Fry years but also gained an appreciation concerning how "the ride" as a fan can have BOTH the highs and the lows. I think that has led to a large proportion of Hawk fans to be rather measured when it comes to their expectations for the Hawks.

In contrast, Husker fans didn't really have ups and downs to the same magnitude as Iowa had until Solich and Cally took the helm. With Pelini at the helm, I expect things to level out more for the Huskers ... although I'm not certain that they're going to quite be back to the days of domination. There's still a pretty big difference between the old Big 8 and the current Big 12.

Most every Big 12 fan I have met, and I've met a lot of them, think that every Big 12 team, except ISU an Baylor, would dominate in the Big 10. While they admit that the North is weaker than the South, they still believe the North would dominate in the Big 10. Right now Missouri is saying the same things that Nebraska is saying. Because they typically spank Illinois, they think they could just roll over the rest of the Big 10.