Hunter Dickinson in portal

Zstatman

Just saw this morning that Dickinson has entered the portal.

Made me wonder if Iowa has a shot? Would we want him? Uh, yowsa.

I do wonder why he's entering the portal? Improve his draft position? Yes, Michigan had a bit of a down year but does he need to prove himself more? I wouldn't think so plus he's a 7 footer.

Didn't he go to the same high school as Luka Garza? Are they talking?

Last edited:

I do wonder why he's entering the portal? Improve his draft position? Yes, Michigan had a bit of a down year but does he need to prove himself more? I wouldn't think so plus he's a 7 footer.

same area sort of, different schools, Garza went to Maret, Dickinson DeMatha. Whatever, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Black and Gold!

I'll show my age here...but oh well...

I remember when Lew Alcindor went to Milwaukee in 1969. I was a huge Laker's fan.

I couldn't stand (soon Jabbar) beating Wilt, West, Goodrich. I had disdain....

...until he became a Laker in 1975 and proceeded to be one of my favorites.

He became part of Showtime, Magic, Riley, etc. So, for me, it's all about what uniform you're wearing.

Was thinking the same thing

Mixed emotions on Dickinson. My preference would be to get a defensive minded center similar to Rutgers' Omoruyi, but you can't trust Perk/Sandfort/Pmac to be consistent enough on the offensive end where you wouldn't need someone like Dickinson.

I wonder how much he rubbed elbows with McNamara or All?

It will come down to NIL money if he ever plays for the Hawkeyes.

Edit: A lot of it.

Damn. Midway through the season while watching him play, it seemed to me he was overrated, not putting forth maximum effort, or it just seemed like something was off. I almost posted it on this board, but then started checking his game and season stats and they were actually pretty darn good and he was actually pretty productive. He goes about his business pretty quietly, as in he can get a 20 pt, 10 rebound game and hardly get noticed.
Hawks could use him next year, Big Time.

It’s probably because Juwan Howard’s an asshole and Michigan sucks.
I was wondering about this scenario myself.

Michigan under performed this year, at least to Michigan standards. You always expect them to be a B1G contender and make some kind of run in the Dance. That didn't happen and I'm not smart enough to figure out why?

In reading Howard's statement about his leaving I thought he was laying it on pretty thick, too thick. We will probably never know the real season.

My first inclination is that HD would go to a blue blood; Duke, Kentucky etc. But what does he gain by that, Michigan is right there with that level. And, why doesn't he go pro? What does he gain from another year of college ball?

It will be interesting to see this play out. Meanwhile I trust Fran & Co are working the portal hard.

Would Iowa to get him, but I doubt Iowa will be on the list. I assume Hunter feels he is not going to be an NBA player, so maybe feels like going into the portal and getting a big payday to join the next team is the best way to get a financial windfall before he leaves college and ends up in the G league or bouncing around Europe. I don't see Iowa out bidding bigger programs that have more cash at their disposal.

Speaking of the portal...players and teams need be cautious to what they ultimately seek and wish for, as Pete Nance left N'Western (who did not dance in 2021-22) for National Title runner-up NC. This year, N'Western danced without him, and the Tar Heels were relegated to watching the dance from the sidelines. We live in a world and times where the grass is perpetually greener...

Last edited:
Saw he was gonna be talking to UK.... He can go damn near wherever he wants so the blue blood that wins the bidding will probably get him