Howe: Who Does the Brian Ferentz "Salary-Reduction" Move Satisfy?

200w.gif

At least, we now know the expectations for the OC job.
In 2021, Iowa was 121st in TO and 99th in PPG (23.4). Brian got a raise.
In 2022, Iowa was 130th in TO and 123rd in PPG (17.7). Brian kept his job, but the previous year's raise was rescinded.
Next year, if he returns to his 2021 performance, his goals will be met and his contract is renewed with a possible raise.

Last edited:
It satisfies Kurt, the man who runs the football program. With this token move he has ammo when the reporters ask "Hey Kurt, what do you plan to do to fix the offense?" He can retort with "We made some tough decisions in the offseason, including cutting the pay of the coordinator. That's football. Snort." If the offense is still dismal next year, which it likely will be although not nearly as bad as it was this year, ol' ball coach can just keep firing back that response. You will hear it 20 times between now and February 1, 2024.

This is sad because I don't think it helps Brian's career. Coach should get Brian some help and it should be someone we all will agree is great.

Themselves.... As in Kirk and Barta. Brian I'm sure hates everything about it. It's all about the optics and Kirk trying to pacify the folks with pitchforks. Which this doesn't even remotely do. All it does is put numbers on paper. They really shoulda just left it all alone. I really dislike this sort of thing for coaches. Either he's good enough to have the job or he's not. (clearly he's not) And by doing this sort of thing all it does is tell us that they are well aware that he's not either. But they don't care and nepotism trumps everything.. That's all this shows me

Long term he sure as hell isn't that's for sure. Short term he's made the kid like 4 or 5 million plus bucks I think. My old man didn't do that for me damn it. ;)

My dad gave me 4 or 5 bucks for mowing his lawn once.

What a con job this all is. So they say it’s up to Barta to make the final decision. A guy who can’t find a good dentist or a descent tooth floss.

If it had been left up to Kirp (awe hell I might as well have fun with his name too) then if Kirp had kept Brian on board then the University would have grounds to fire Kirk for nepotism and lack of performance stemming from the nepotism.

Barta was only protecting Kirp with that “I will evaluate Brian” bullshit.

All things sad I still think the offense will improve just by default of being near bottom. WE ALL KNOW that Brian would be toast at any other power five school. T O A S T !!!!

Rob I’ll give you credit on the article and on speaking up and against the Kirp mafia.

What a con job this all is. So they say it’s up to Barta to make the final decision. A guy who can’t find a good dentist or a descent tooth floss.

If it had been left up to Kirp (awe hell I might as well have fun with his name too) then if Kirp had kept Brian on board then the University would have grounds to fire Kirk for nepotism and lack of performance stemming from the nepotism.

All things sad I still think the offense will improve just by default of being near bottom. WE ALL KNOW that Brian would be toast at any other power five school. T O A S T !!!!

Rob I’ll give you credit on the article and on speaking up and against the Kirp mafia.

My dad once paid me $70 to scrape and repaint our large two story house. I'm talking one of those large square built in the 1930's houses with wood siding. WTF dad? Oh, this included our 2 stall garage as well. I got screwed.

When my folks sold their old house many years ago, the house inspector brought up the asbestos pipe wrap. Pop got a quote, like $10K, so guess who ended up doing the bulk of the removal? and for no pay (cough, cough.....). I am thinking we did wear hardware store dust masks though.

Now, if I could get close to a million a year for job performance that would/should get a person canned...............

To me it should be that simple. No other coordinator has gotten or would get this kind of rope with his resume. Nobody past yr 5 of their tenure (or 2 or 3 for most programs) can have a damn near last place offense and keep the job.

BF has been the beneficiary of the jobs Parker and Woods have been doing. Because if say Iowa was losing games then helloo... There's not been any 'complimentary' football being played at Iowa lately. Only if you're talking about the D and special teams. The O hasn't been doing squat jack the last 2 yrs of Petras starting. (I'd say 3 but I'll be nice and give him a mulligan for his first yr of playing and the covid yr and all that)

I think BF has to own the fact that he recruited 'developed' and played Petras all that time. He was a Hawk for 5 yrs and started for 3 of them and stunk the whole time. He never improved in any kind of noticeable way. For whatever reasons BF kept him and didn't try to replace him in the portal after either of his 2 other seasons prior to this yr. And he wasn't able to recruit or develop anyone behind him good enough to play instead. He of all people should have known he stunk and we had no shot at any serious success with him playing QB. That's on Brian (and Kirk) they gotta own that huge mistake that they never at any point should have tried to fix.

It's one thing to swing and miss on a recruit. That happens all the time but you can't let it turn into a 5 yr/3 yrs of starting mistake. Is it Petras's inability to improve or BFs lack of coaching acumen or both that lead to all this I'm sure it's some of both. But this is the position that can't be missed on to this extent and they got ever so lucky to have a prayer answered by having Cade McNamara fall in their laps. So we'll see how this goes...

I could go on with the WR postions and Oline as well with how BF has bungled things but for the sake of not writing a novel I'll stop and you all get the point.

What was already a small national punchline just got a cup full of gasoline poured on it. The truth is that Barta and KF are just so out of touch. As Rob framed it, this satisfied no one and just made all involved seem even more foolish.

I am done with this dumb topic. The bottom line is that either BF will show improvement and hit these incredibly low thresholds or he won't, but that won't matter. What will really matter is does Iowa win 11 games or 6. If KF keeps winning, the wolves remain at bay. If not, KF will be brought down by his hubris.

Because I am quite optimistic for next season, I guess I have to predict that BF gets his bonuses and claims redemption. I doubt, however, many fans will agree.

When my folks sold their old house many years ago, the house inspector brought up the asbestos pipe wrap. Pop got a quote, like $10K, so guess who ended up doing the bulk of the removal? and for no pay (cough, cough.....). I am thinking we did wear hardware store dust masks though.

Now, if I could get close to a million a year for job performance that would/should get a person canned...............

So I get lead poisoning from living in paint scrapings for a month and you get Mesothelioma when your 90 from the asbestos. Thanks Dads!

It's like rubbing salt in the wound, is this an attempt by Barta to play "bad cop". Really? And who is going to be pulling the trigger next year if Iowa implodes on offense. Barta? This is like that old Clint Eastwood movie where Eastwood's character takes the badge from the sheriff and gives it to the town outcast than makes him mayor. I laugh because the extentions Barta threw at Kirk literally makes him untouchable and unaccoutable, but not Barta. It would be funny if he ends up being the one fired.

Latest posts