Howe: Time for Change

Line of the year..

The choice spoke to Kirk Ferentz's faith in his defense and lack of it in his son's offense.

Many on here have been saying for years the head coach and his offensive philosophy needs to change. It never does.

I am still shocked two dual threat QB's, who are highly rated, committed to this team with their offensive ineptitude.

Reactions: haw
Maybe someday the media and athletic department will grow some balls and stop playing this fake game of “Iowa nice” bs and start grilling Kirk on why his son is still allowed to run the offense.

I've been saying it for years: If Iowa had a decent offense, most every year would be more like 2002. I believe that firmly.

The program has been consistently good, but the lack of offense year in and year out is the obvious glaring weakness that prevents this program from reaching "great" status.

The frustrating part, to me, is that I don't get the sense that improving the offense is even an afterthought.

Good article, Rob. But where were you when most of us realized the problem shortly after Brian Ferentz was hired?

As a member of Iowa’s sports media, by remaining silent you’ve been part of the problem.

Glad you’ve finally come around.
I don't think there has been a member of Iowa sports media more critical of BF than Rob. That has usually been about off the field stuff, but let's at least give credit where credit is due.

The decision to punt from midfield was classic Kirk, 1/2 a yard to certain victory was just to much to ask of our offense. Giving the ball to Kentucky at midfield was just too big a risk, I guess. That's a call Kirk makes 9 out of 10 times so it's no surprise but it is Kirk's thing. I was taught never give the ball back to the opponent's offense late in the game if at all possible. Kirk prefers to. I guess the 4th down play that blew up earlier was a factor, but to me that made it even less possible to happen twice. Stoops went for it twice on 4th down failed, but his team never game up. I don't know whose fault this season was and I don't know how Iowa can fix it. Petras is so Jeckle and Hyde it's scary but he has been chosen so we know he will be the starter for the rest of his career, Padilla will exit and three to four of our best players will go pro. Brian will be back unless Kirk retires, get used to it.

I was all for enduring growing pains and giving BF the opportunity to grow into the position. It seemed early on that he was maybe going to be the guy to convince Kirk to open things up and appeared to be trying to do so. But unfortunately the woeful stats after 5 years show he simply ain't cutting it.

So now we have the classic case of why it is not a good idea to hire family and I speak from experience. When things work out it is really great but when in time their performance becomes a detriment then you have a real problem. You know you are cutting them slack and if they weren't family you would let them go. Got a feeling no matter what, KF will never fire or demote BF at this stage of his career and put a strain on family relations for the rest of his life. He's gonna stick with these cards until he rides off into the sunset, so let's hope they can improve the way he plays em...

I've been saying it for years: If Iowa had a decent offense, most every year would be more like 2002. I believe that firmly.

The program has been consistently good, but the lack of offense year in and year out is the obvious glaring weakness that prevents this program from reaching "great" status.

The frustrating part, to me, is that I don't get the sense that improving the offense is even an afterthought.
Putting together a more exciting offense wouldn’t hurt on the recruiting trails either. I would guess our reputation on this side of the ball is made we’ll known by those competing against us for certain more talented skill players.

This is a story that seems to have been with us for a long time as you have indicated…….little has changed on the field.

It is maddening to me how inept we start games. And has been typical this year, the entire first half was an offensive disaster. I applaud the second half offense but you lose a lot of games when you can only play one half of offense. And to be honest, there were entire games this year where we couldn't generate much of anything on that side of the ball. They need to make necessary changes. Whatever that is, I'm not sure but what we're doing now is not leading to where we want to be.

It occured to me... KY had no time outs. You could run play action boot pass and get the first down and the game is over. Over. The could not stop the clock.

It occured to me... KY had no time outs. You could run play action boot pass and get the first down and the game is over. Over. The could not stop the clock.
Iowa hasn’t been able to get to get a 1st down all year. I don’t know where we rank in 3rd down conversions or total first downs because the season’s over and I frankly don’t give a shit anymore, but if either one of those is better than 120th I’d be surprised.

I do know running this back status quo is a hard sell, especially if Petras is the starter. Brian isn't going to be fired so I am not sure what the move is here.