Howe: Iowa Needs to Pick Up Pace in NIL Race

This string is pure bull shit. Same old same old about KF and GB being unable to adapt. In the meantime, they continue to build facilities competitive with anyone in the Power 5/community, win a lot of contests in a variety of sports, including the big two or three, create massive investments from TV, Media, and most of all, rich alums. Attendance is among the national’s best. Athletic budget is solid with no taxpayer help. Stop whining, Nancy, about Barta’s teeth and old school ways while he has produced enough revenue for Iowa sports to buy and sell you clowns multiple times. Money talks. NIL at Iowa will take a conservative approach to maturity while most of us laugh our asses off at your nonsense.

This string is pure bull shit. Same old same old about KF and GB being unable to adapt. In the meantime, they continue to build facilities competitive with anyone in the Power 5/community, win a lot of contests in a variety of sports, including the big two or three, create massive investments from TV, Media, and most of all, rich alums. Attendance is among the national’s best. Athletic budget is solid with no taxpayer help. Stop whining, Nancy, about Barta’s teeth and old school ways while he has produced enough revenue for Iowa sports to buy and sell you clowns multiple times. Money talks. NIL at Iowa will take a conservative approach to maturity while most of us laugh our asses off at your nonsense.
What do YOUR teeth look like, ya geezer?

LOL Huck, they're probably in better shape than Gary's.

If Rob senses trouble ahead, as well as already falling behind the times that's good enough for me. He's more connected to Iowa athletics than many of us clowns multiple times.

Easy to say for someone who isn’t going to live long enough to see the results of the snail’s pace Farta and Kurt are moving at. You’re not vulnerable to an “I told you so.”

Anyone who can’t see Iowa is behind the curve with NIL is either blind, stupid, or both.

I think the NCAA or governing body needs to cap out the payments from the collectives to students. Maybe they have. This could at least somewhat level the playing field if some of the other smaller or non-blue blood programs don't raise quite as much but can meet that cap for their athletes.

So, if they did that, players would be paid and have more $$ to live comfortably and many teams would have a level playing field if they could raise the $$ to cover athletes to meet the cap. It's all about regulating the "collective" and amount the athletes can get.

Also, will this be affecting every single athlete in every sport at the college? Are we going to expect athletes from the volleyball team or crew club expecting the same payouts, and if they don, lawsuits coming.?

This is a can of worms, folks! Buckle up!

Breh, the NCAA's biggest fear is antitrust litigation. The NCAA lost a case in 1984 regarding the televising of football games and ever bince then they have been scared shitless of Sherman Act and Clayton Act suits. In light of recent developments, they aren't going to attempt to impose any sort of salary cap. Caps in pro sports leagues have been upheld, but I don't think the NCAA wants to spend $50 million litigating with an uncertain outcome where they can get hammered with treble damages if they read the tea leaves wrong.

Why am I thinking about being a part of a Dolly Parton and Nancy Pelosee naked sandwich?? Of course, Nancy muffled. Awkwardly erotic?
200.gif

What do YOUR teeth look like, ya geezer?

LOL Huck, they're probably in better shape than Gary's.

If Rob senses trouble ahead, as well as already falling behind the times that's good enough for me. He's more connected to Iowa athletics than many of us clowns multiple times.
Still got them all!

Easy to say for someone who isn’t going to live long enough to see the results of the snail’s pace Farta and Kurt are moving at. You’re not vulnerable to an “I told you so.”

Anyone who can’t see Iowa is behind the curve with NIL is either blind, stupid, or both.
Am I on my deathbed? Wow. Sorry to hear that. And, another of your conclusions about other’s views being blind and stupid. FRY…World’s Foremost Authority.

And I wonder what pushed Mike Krchyeslskseiskskiki at Duke to retire? I wonder if this portal and NIL shit was of no interest to him. When changes come, many people decide F it, I'm just going to retire. Happens all the time where I work.

The news of Jay Wright retiring came the day after you posted this. He is 60, but looks 45 and has Villanova rollin. He decided to check out. We will find out in the next day or two why...got a feeling it is what you are describing as being the main culprit. He will speak in code and say all the right things, but in reality he is just pulling a Roy Williams(I can't do this anymore... I'm out).

The news of Jay Wright retiring came the day after you posted this. He is 60, but looks 45 and has Villanova rollin. He decided to check out. We will find out in the next day or two why...got a feeling it is what you are describing as being the main culprit. He will speak in code and say all the right things, but in reality he is just pulling a Roy Williams(I can't do this anymore... I'm out).
He will garner serious NBA interest if interested.

Barta is one of the best AD’s in the country when it comes to $$ and athletics at Iowa are flourishing. Iowa football is recruiting better than it ever has. Iowa basketball is producing better players than it ever has. Could they be behind in NIL? Probably, but this is all moving very quickly. I have almost no worries about Iowa keeping up because in general, Iowa is one of the wealthiest and most competitive athletic programs in the country.

I mean, say what you want about Barta, he’s fucked up a lot of things at Iowa and has a history of public relations issues, but seriously stfu if you think he can’t raise money or foster winning programs. It’s a new world and I understand being worried about Iowa falling behind, but I can at the very least give him that benefit of the doubt because IMO, Iowa has kept up with the Jones’s for decades when it comes to being competitive on the fields and court.

This NIL process got way out of control really fast as once again the humans in charge overreacted and put in a system without having a long what-if thought process of what direction it might take.

Let's go back in time just a short while ago, student athletes were threatening to sue the NCAA and athletic conferences and schools to get their rights to make some dough of their likenesses. So the NCAA or whoever creates a program with no thought to it. Now, instead of the NIL program having some limits on it like maybe the athlete can only set up a NIL as a personal LLC or such to raise money or personal uses we have schools, boosters etc creating these NIL accounts just to raise money.

Maybe NIL should be limited to only those enrolled in college and not high school recruits.

NIL is very bad to me when a high school kid can be bought for doing nothing.

Credit where credit is due, Barta has kept the train rolling at Iowa. Bump and Bowlsby got it rolling. And Hayden and Kirk have played a HUGE role in fundraising as have the other coaches at Iowa.

IMO, Iowa fans shouldn't be worried about replacing Barta. I don't think his legacy will be looked back on fondly by this fan base as a whole. Some bad shit has happened under his watch.

Racism in the football program, losing a discrimination case that cost $6M+ and having to reinstate a sport he cut because he was going to get killed on court for Title IX violations, the handling of the Gary Dolphin situation, to name a few.

BTW, found out this week who is leading Iowa's collective. Fans should feel good about it. It's someone who is a financial wiz and can help maximize the Hawkeyes in the space. Hopefully the athletic department doesn't screw it up.