Howe: Hawkeyes Lack What Should Be Inherent in Loss

I saw the same thing, not ready to play this game, no urgency, lack of hustle. NO CONFIDENCE in their shooting, defense, or anything. Garza was completely lost on defense at times running to the top of the key then running back as someone scores a layup. Why not leave the 7 footer by the basket? To Garza's defense, he got no help on defense from the guard court. This game made me feel like a fool for believing in this team.

I saw the same thing, not ready to play this game, no urgency, lack of hustle. NO CONFIDENCE in their shooting, defense, or anything. Garza was completely lost on defense at times running to the top of the key then running back as someone scores a layup. Why not leave the 7 footer by the basket? To Garza's defense, he got no help on defense from the guard court. This game made me feel like a fool for believing in this team.
Garza wasn’t lost he is just that slow. Why he is being asked to hedge is mind boggling .

Fran’s post-game sounded like his others.

Crappy offense leads to bad defense? What?
No really. What?

I can understand crappy offense leading to breakaways but that’s not bad defense. I was always taught if you’re shot isn’t going down then you man-up even harder on defense.

Crappy offense shouldn’t lead to lack of hustle and intensity.

Team Defense is all about “want to.”
This team doesn’t want to.

I laughed listening to the radio for Dolph and Bobby saying the Hawks were needing to foul with 3 minutes to play but Fran told them not to until it got down to 7-8 with 30 seconds to go.

Did he want to get the game over? They were both shocked the fouling didn’t start earlier.

I think we are going to see this lack of defense all season long. Hawks have some length, but no lateral foot speed especially at our guard positions. Simpson off Michigan's bench was able to go where he wanted. He came in averaging 4 a game and scored 15. Other teams see this on tape and can't wait to break us down off the dribble. Can't coach quickness. Gonna be a long big ten season.

No really. What?

I can understand crappy offense leading to breakaways but that’s not bad defense. I was always taught if you’re shot isn’t going down then you man-up even harder on defense.

I laughed when I read his comments. It doesn't matter how good or bad the offense is playing, the D always looks the same to me. Like you said, its about "what to" and they don't. Even with a lack of athletes they could be a solid defensive team if they had the will and played together but they don't do that. And lets not kid ourselves. This isn't one of Lick's teams, they have some talent on the roster.

I like Fran but his defensive coaching is poor at best. This is not a 2017-2018 team problem, this is a program problem that has been going on for years and primary reason why Iowa has made it out of the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament once since GR's recruits left. I'll give Davis some credit, he ran full court pressure that at least created turnovers. With Fran's defense, if the other team doesn't miss wide open shots, Iowa is in trouble.

Last edited:
When your team is slow at Pt Guard, it makes everything else look a half or full step behind on D or O. CM isn't going to improve that area much. Long arms and more good passing will help, but it won't fix things.

No Pt Guard Rob. That is what is inherently lacking.

tickets will be plentiful and cheap... this ship is not sailing well. And the whole "angry Fran" thing is wearing thin. Coach better.

No really. What?

I watched the postgame. The reporters had to have been like wtf is this guy talking about, I know I was. Your defense is a result of bad offense??? What?!?!? He’s completely disconnected and delusional and a change needs to be made.

Analysis:

No marginally athletic PG options

Terrible individual fundamentals: boxing out, pick and roll (the correct way), give and go, helping out on defense, FT shooting, jump shooting...

Hideous team fundamentals

Terrible in game coaching

Lots of average players, about the same size, same foot speed

Heartless players

Heartless coaches

There you have it...

Analysis:

Terrible individual fundamentals: boxing out, pick and roll (the correct way), give and go, helping out on defense, FT shooting, jump shooting...

Heartless players

Heartless coaches

There you have it...

You had me until you called the coaches and players heartless, IMO no one wants to win more then them.

Analysis:

Heartless players

Heartless coaches

There you have it...

Good thing we don't have a pg coming in next year. Seriously, wtf was Fran thinking when he thought JorBo was a good enough option at pg? Or that even his own son is a good enough option? Why the hell are we still going 10-11 deep?!? And why are Wagner and Ellingson receiving any playing time?!?!?!? Isn't 3 years enough to see they aren't Power 5, or even D1, talent? Just absolutely mind-boggling.

Yea, they really need to stop doing that hedge. Risk vs reward is not there.

They panned to Margaret several times last night... she looked pissed. I am not an expert, but you could see just how miserable she was for the team and Fran, imagine how they feel? Fran aint happy - the players aint happy. They aren't enjoying this. They aren't showing no heart tho. They are over matched. That's on Fran for assembling the roster, not having them more cohesive. His chairs gonna get hotter and hotter and life a little more miserable the longer this slide remains. I have no doubt they are doing everything they can think of to change things, but at this point of the year, not having more average or above average guards is killing the team. But no heart? That's a lil over the top. I bet there are few people in the Iowa athletic department that enjoy or are comfortable with under performing then Fran. He expects to win and win all the time and if you aren't, you're gonna hear about it and he don't care where that is or who's watching.

I get it - it's all fair game right now. I am agreeing with most of the things said about Fran and the team shortcomings this season and I am not happy at all about it.

I only watched less than half of the game, but I thought Michigan looked to athletic for Iowa. Eventually the Michigan players athleticism wore Iowa down.

I laughed when I read his comments. It doesn't matter how good or bad the offense is playing, the D always looks the same to me. Like you said, its about "what to" and they don't. Even with a lack of athletes they could be a solid defensive team if they had the will and played together but they don't do that. And lets not kid ourselves. This isn't one of Lick's teams, they have some talent on the roster.

I like Fran but his defensive coaching is poor at best. This is not a 2017-2018 team problem, this is a program problem that has been going on for years and primary reason why Iowa has made it out of the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament once since GR's recruits left. I'll give Davis some credit, he ran full court pressure that at least created turnovers. With Fran's defensive, if the other team doesn't miss wide open shots, Iowa is in trouble.
To be fair to Fran we wanted a more exciting brand of basketball to watch and not the slow it down mug-defense losing Lick-ball.

“If we’re going to lose then lose watching exciting offensive play”.

Of course, I could be getting this mixed up with the football haters.

But if not then, We got what we wanted. But Fran has had them winning with exciting offense and average defense.

This year the offense is pathetic and defense just plain bad.

So now we want defense again.

Fandom, thy name is Fickle.

Latest posts