Howe: Hawkeyes Lack What Should Be Inherent in Loss

Ohhh, So that’s why you’re not coaching anymore.

I'll bit. No. I'm not coaching because as my own kids got older I couldn't be at their stuff as much.

As a coach I was highly flexible. I didn't know anyone who could do more with less talent and make changes prior to and during games. I was really into the psychology. I had an unusual ability to see the whole court/field.

My main strategy was this. If you have more talented players, you have to take on all of my players. I can be your 2 or 3 with 5 or 5/6 with 11. Everyone had a role and those roles changed for example if speed is need over strength for an opponent. All players have strengths and weaknesses. It's up to a coach to use those.

KF is terrible at that. As much as I don't like him, Fitz does that. Lute Olson did that. HF did that. It's a style. Fran, frankly I don't know what his style is. I don't think he's a good coach basically. I do think he gets a lot out of some players which accounts for his success. He's terrible at fundamentals.

I saw the same thing, not ready to play this game, no urgency, lack of hustle. NO CONFIDENCE in their shooting, defense, or anything. Garza was completely lost on defense at times running to the top of the key then running back as someone scores a layup. Why not leave the 7 footer by the basket? To Garza's defense, he got no help on defense from the guard court. This game made me feel like a fool for believing in this team.

You can tell Garza is not comfortable assisting the PG by hedging. Fran needs to scrap this when Garza is in the game, you can just see the panic he has when he lets his guy free.

"Exciting offensive play."

It is painful, mind-dulling...how bad Iowa looks most of the time, on both ends of the court.

"Exciting offensive play."

It is painful, mind-dulling...how bad Iowa looks most of the time, on both ends of the court.

What style of basketball I want is the winning type. Sure, I'd rather be uptempo if I had a choice, but it really doesn't matter to me if we lose 100-98 or 52-50. Ditto for winning.

Losing is losing and it sucks no matter how you slice it. Guess I'm a bottom line kind of guy.

What style of basketball I want is the winning type. Sure, I'd rather be uptempo if I had a choice, but it really doesn't matter to me if we lose 100-98 or 52-50. Ditto for winning.

Losing is losing and it sucks no matter how you slice it. Guess I'm a bottom line kind of guy.

Sure but if we are borderline NCAA most years as a program, I would rather be fast paced than slow paced. To me, Ferentz's results might satisfy me if we played more up tempo exciting football. Just like Fran's results might not be good enough for me if he played Lick ball. I guess what I'm saying is when you're on the fence one way or the other, style of play can sway your opinion.

Analysis:

No marginally athletic PG options

Terrible individual fundamentals: boxing out, pick and roll (the correct way), give and go, helping out on defense, FT shooting, jump shooting...

Hideous team fundamentals

Terrible in game coaching

Lots of average players, about the same size, same foot speed

Heartless players

Heartless coaches

There you have it...
They are not heartless.Just start with Desire and Toughness Again.Not that difficult.Osu good start no?

As a firm supporter of Fran from day one I am starting to feel coach is headed in the wrong direction. At Frans previous stops his teams ran up and down the court. Realizing the big ten (and Nebraska) are very physical in nature, Fran has moved away from his typical ball player. Now he has over build the team with big guys and they have zero agility and move about as quickly as a turd rolling down a hill.

Yeah it very fixable if gets out finds a couple high ranking point guards and promises to play them as starters. I see no leadership and nobody that can run the floor.

If these changes don't happen I think it might be time to bring in Tom Crean

I laughed listening to the radio for Dolph and Bobby saying the Hawks were needing to foul with 3 minutes to play but Fran told them not to until it got down to 7-8 with 30 seconds to go.

Did he want to get the game over? They were both shocked the fouling didn’t start earlier.

OMG are you serious?????? LMAO and crying at the same time. :confused:

He wouldn't be the first coach to prize process over wins. But in this case I agree.

Now this sounds familiar. I had brought up systems and gimmicks that coaches who are not keeping up with recruiting in their conference try to put into place. This was after year four or five for Fran. It appears his gimmick it to try to wear the other team down and keep it close so you can overcome them in the last seven minutes of the game. Not working to well. Also his defense looks mid major.

I’m the same and expect it from both head coaches.

I also took some heat on here just a year or two ago when I started to question Fran’s ability. I finally caved in and excepted some posters thoughts on how we had these two B1Gs coming in that were going to protect rim and after that a awesome shooting guard that was going to lift the offense. Got the popcorn out and just sitting here reading now.
Some of you know who you were. Want to man up now?

Then there were the ones who thought we would be better without Joc. I flatly stated how you don’t lose the leading scorer in the Big Ten and get better? Anyone want to own that one and man up?

Honestly I don’t know who all said what as I think it was all said in sincerity and belief and I can’t fault anyone for that. Some should keep that in perspective however when I get frustrated with Kirk.

I think you all know that it means a lot to me. My family and I are always wearing the Hawkeyes tea shirts, hats, jackets, and coats. I don’t take pleasure in having to criticize the coaches. I especially try not to call out the players. The coaches are getting paid millions of dollars for performance so they are free game.

I like Fran but his defensive coaching is poor at best. This is not a 2017-2018 team problem, this is a program problem that has been going on for years and primary reason why Iowa has made it out of the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament once since GR's recruits left. I'll give Davis some credit, he ran full court pressure that at least created turnovers. With Fran's defense, if the other team doesn't miss wide open shots, Iowa is in trouble.

Why is the genuflect present?
People need to get away from this lame attempt to present their argument as compelling because they have affection for coach x,y, or z. An otherwise respectable critique gets turned into a 10th grade debate class cliche.
Can we all agree that we love the coaches and want to cradle their head in our laps and serenade them with 70s love songs. (I don't of course cuz I'm a manly man who reserves his love for manly winners)
Now that we got that out of the way, for God's sake can us men all start being men as men can be?!?!?!

Now this is what I'm talkin about. We need more of this. Less sissy feelings posts and more "bottom-line" posts. Those are the type of posts we'd be getting from John Wayne and Randolph Scott if they were alive.

Latest posts