Howe: Hawkeyes About to Be Part of Science Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
KF was on ESPN last night and seemed fired up and ready to go, but noted concern over COVID for sure.

I wonder how practical it is for coaches and non-players to wear masks. Once practice starts, the players will be all over each other. Its gonna spread if any of them have it. But, coaches could take some protections I suppose. Such a tough situation.

If schools cannot get a couple hundred kids onto campus, how are they going to handle 20,000?

If schools are going to allow a handful of infections to shut things down, then what is the point of even trying?

You either need to recognize that COVID is going to make its way around campuses and teams, and certainly do your best to practice good hygiene, but in the end, you will move forward with sports and classes under the belief that healthy young kids who contract the virus are highly likely to be fine;

or you need to shut it all down now.
We are DONE shutting things down.

Got it?

Protect the vulnerable, wear a mask if you choose, don't wear a mask if you choose, use common sense, respect the threat.

But if these protesters and demonstrators can go out there in large groups and ignore all the social distancing and shelter mandates and we don't get a cataclysmic spike then what does that tell you?

Forty percent of the deaths from this thing we're nursing home residents, our most vulnerable people doing exactly what the government told us to do, i.e. sheltering in place. What does that tell you?

All these doctors and scientists who were telling us to stay inside and using these big bad charts and graphs are now doing 180's and the same experts who were telling us we couldn't work are now saying it's OK for these people to congregate and protest, open schools, etc. This includes Dr. Fauci.

They are even blaming the police for potentially exascerbating a new wave with their tear gas, but not blaming the protesters themselves, saying that vandalizing and damaging property and looting is evidently an essential activity.

All those controversial Twitter sources that presumably got tk banned? Doctors have been backtracking on a good deal of them. He he went too far but he spent a good deal of that thread telling us not to be scared of this big bad world.

I feared rioting and unrest for weeks, said that Chicago is a ticking time bomb, and that it might take a militant action somewhere to trigger it. We have had some but not as much as I feared. But if these Minneapolis cops get anything less than murder convictions then Rodney King 2.0 is coming.

In a roundabout way perhaps this whole crisis, culminating with the George Floyd death, will finally bring about the necessary changes on a lot of things. Some voices are long overdue to be heard and some changes are also long overdue.

Last edited:
We are DONE shutting things down.

Got it?

Protect the vulnerable, wear a mask if you choose, use common sense, respect the threat.

But if these protesters and demonstrators can go out there in large groups and ignore all the social distancing and shelter mandates and we don't get a cataclysmic spike then what does that tell you?

Forty percent of the deaths from this thing we're nursing home residents, our most vulnerable people doing exactly what the government told us to do, i.e. sheltering in place. What does that tell you?

All these doctors and scientists who were telling us to stay inside and using these big bad charts and graphs are now doing 180's and the same experts who were telling us we couldn't work are now saying it's OK for these people to congregate and protest, open schools, etc. This includes Dr. Fauci.

They are even blaming the police for potentially exascerbating a new wave with their tear gas, but not blaming the protesters themselves, saying that vandalizing and damaging property and looting is evidently an essential activity.

All those controversial Twitter sources that presumably got tk banned? Doctors have been backtracking on a good deal of them. He he went too far but he spent a good deal of that thread telling us not to be scared of this big bad world.

I feared rioting and unrest for weeks, said that Chicago is a ticking time bomb, and that it might take a militant action somewhere to trigger it. We have had some but not as much as I feared. But if these Minneapolis cops get anything less than murder convictions then Rodney King 2.0 is coming.

In a roundabout way perhaps this whole crisis, culminating with the George Floyd death, will finally bring about the necessary changes on a lot of things. Some voices are long overdue to be heard and some changes are also long overdue.

While I agree with you that based on what we know now there's absolutely no point in shutting things down, I'm not sure the argument you made about the deaths of those in nursing homes really supports your argument against sheltering in place.

KF was on ESPN last night and seemed fired up and ready to go, but noted concern over COVID for sure.

I wonder how practical it is for coaches and non-players to wear masks. Once practice starts, the players will be all over each other. Its gonna spread if any of them have it. But, coaches could take some protections I suppose. Such a tough situation.

you do realize covid-19 has the same lethality to this age group as a normal flu season

Gary Barta mentioned Iowa has a 'pledge' instead of a waiver for Iowa athletes returning.

Here's an example of a waiver.

They're outside applauding the protestors.

How about that? :)

Nurse-Protestors.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts