Howe: Hawkeyes About to Be Part of Science Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are petri dishes already happening. 4000 fans packed a auto race this weekend. The Lake of the Ozarks is packed full of people from all over our state and probably other states as well.

Things will continue to change rapidly.

There are still so many unknowns with this virus. At least the hospitals are more prepared.

Well...I hope Iowa is testing the athletes now. They should have a few mandatory tests prior to getting everyone together. You can't risk bringing someone in if they are positive. It's over if you do before it even begins. The second aspect is that you should isolate the athletes as much as possible from the rest of the students. It's possible. It limits what they can do...but they are limited anyway during this time of year and it fall camp.

I know it sounds draconian but if you want to do this...it needs to be done with military precision. I wouldn't bring an athlete into the building...without being tested a few times...and I would allow them outside of controlled areas when not training.

If you want football...you must have zero tolerance to allowing the virus in.

Someone on our Facebook page called me a c&@t for writing this column. o_O

I don't believe Hawkeyenation is a "cult" at all Rob. Nor do I view you as some sort of Jonesian figure. People drink the Koolaid because they want to drink the Koolaid. Wait, did they call you a "coot"...well, ummm...I'm sure there is an argument to that. Give me a minute.

Someone on our Facebook page called me a c&@t for writing this column. o_O

did they mean a c-u-Next-Tuesday? I didn’t know that person knew you so well to have such a strong opinion.

Look man, I’m pretty sure I’m on opposite sides of this than you. But you know what? I don’t give a rip. You write a nice column, run a nice website. I don’t judge you for your thoughts, and I hope you don’t judge me, but I don’t care if you do. It’s a big enough, free enough country that we can disagree and still be civil, respectful and probably enjoy many similar things. Be well sir.

It’s almost a certainty a D1 football player will get this when it rebounds in the fall. That will be the big test, what do you do?

did they mean a c-u-Next-Tuesday? I didn’t know that person knew you so well to have such a strong opinion.

Look man, I’m pretty sure I’m on opposite sides of this than you. But you know what? I don’t give a rip. You write a nice column, run a nice website. I don’t judge you for your thoughts, and I hope you don’t judge me, but I don’t care if you do. It’s a big enough, free enough country that we can disagree and still be civil, respectful and probably enjoy many similar things. Be well sir.

You as well. I hope all of you are doing well. Really.

I write for a living. Some of those pieces are opinions. I don’t expect everyone to agree. That would be crazy.

As of May 6th, Total Corona Virus US deaths for ages 24 and under were 58. A student athlete is far more likely to die in an auto accident, than to die from this virus. By comparison, US Auto deaths for 24 & Under are well over 500 per MONTH.

Last edited:
As of May 6th, Total Corona Virus US deaths for ages 24 and under were 58. A student athlete is far more likely to die in an auto accident, than to die from this virus. By comparison, US Auto deaths for 24 & Under are well over 500 per MONTH.

I suspect it would take quite a bit for The Germ to be more deadly than auto accidents, turf/drug murders in major cities and opiod overdose in the sub 24 set.

Well said

Of those 58, likely over 50 had at least one pre-existing medical condition (compared to college football players, who typically are very healthy).

Now as Rob mentioned in the article there are other “parties” involved here with older coaches and support staff etc. Personally I’m confident that they are smart enough to develop practical solutions to best protect everyone involved.

As Rob said we can all agree that we hope for the best. This is a very polarizing topic for many right now so while I may have some more pointed views on them I’ll refrain from them here. We like this place for talking hawkeye sports!

I thought the article was fine. But, I am feeling like we are getting mixed messages on this topic. Rob, you have shut down several threads on COVID as being too political in nature. I get that. But then you keep writing articles about the topic. I don't think it is feasible to discuss this devisive topic without politics creeping in. The whole point of the board is to express our opinions to each other and those opinions are laced with our beliefs and our beliefs are shaped on this issue by our moral and political compasses.

Personally, I am in favor of discussing COVID in the context of how it impacts sports even if the conversation creeps political. Hell, what else is there to talk about!!?? But, I would like a better idea of what is acceptable and not here.

I thought the article was fine. But, I am feeling like we are getting mixed messages on this topic. Rob, you have shut down several threads on COVID as being too political in nature. I get that. But then you keep writing articles about the topic. I don't think it is feasible to discuss this devisive topic without politics creeping in. The whole point of the board is to express our opinions to each other and those opinions are laced with our beliefs and our beliefs are shaped on this issue by our moral and political compasses.

Personally, I am in favor of discussing COVID in the context of how it impacts sports even if the conversation creeps political. Hell, what else is there to talk about!!?? But, I would like a better idea of what is acceptable and not here.

I am a journalist, or at least I like to think so. I write opinion pieces as part of my job. As you can see from this column, I did not invoke politics. Therefore, I think it's fair to ask they not be discussed on here.

There's gray area. We've seen that throughout the last two and a half months. Shit, people have made studies political, actual science.

So, I don't want to see "this study says this and that study says that" because it's just another way of invoking politics. And I don't want people saying, "hey, the flu from 1918 did this, so that means COVID is going to do it and we're all going to die if go back to forms of previous normal. There's a second wave coming!" or "Hey, it's just like the common cold. It's not killing young people yet, so they're safe. Live it up!"

WE DON'T KNOW. IT'S A NEW VIRUS.

That was the angle to my column.

As I've said REPEATEDLY, and it can be viewed on the FORUM RULES thread that's tacked to the top of this and other boards, we're not going to have political discussion about COVID-19. And for some, being able to separate that from discussion on IOWA sports returning is proving difficult. Fry even started a message board on a free site for people to discuss corona. Instead of taking him up on it, people continue to push that shit on here.

Why? My guess is for attention.

Trying to moderate it sucks, which I'm sure you can tell from my tone. If you guys can't police yourselves, erring on the side of doing your best to avoid politics, then I have to step in. I banned someone this weekend for drawing a direct comparison between a former presidential candidate and Dave Schwartz's column, pretty much just pissing on any forum rules.

I want to talk about the games and the athletes. I'm allowing some of the COVID-19 conversation based on how those games come back, updates and news on when they come back. But I'm moving towards the conversation being strictly about Iowa sports apart from the virus. Having to spend time writing posts like this one takes away from my ability to write stories, including columns on Iowa sports, recruiting updates, etc., which I think most people on here prefer to be reading.

You guys decide how that shakes out.

Rob, do you remember that scene from the first vacation movie where he loses it in the family truckster and goes on an obscenity laced tirade about going to Wally-World? Then Rusty asks him “dad, you need an aspirin or something?”

I think this is about where we are at.

Rob, do you remember that scene from the first vacation movie where he loses it in the family truckster and goes on an obscenity laced tirade about going to Wally-World? Then Rusty asks him “dad, you need an aspirin or something?”

I think this is about where we are at.

Fan of that film. I do try to control my language on here. My kids hear worse.

As others have said these players are in very good physical condition. We can all breathe in the virus if it is right there for us to do so. But we think almost all of these players could handle having the virus come into their bodies. Nobody knows how your immune system will respond but I think we would think they are pretty good in that category also.

I do want to stress that some people say it is harder for someone in really good shape to catch the virus. I am pretty sure the experts would say that is probably not true as we all breathe it in the same way.

The main thing is the schools and medical people are going to do everything they can with testing, masks in certain situations, distancing when possible to really lower the odds of even any virus being around the players, coaches and other personnel.

Let us hope that all of these young people even students not involved in athletics can come through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts