Howe: Five Thoughts About Hawkeyes with Hoops Practice Tipping Off

He had to try something right? I get it. That said, he's got way too long of a bench and always has, though he typically shortened it as the season progressed. Now with a 20 game conference, early season tests, I think he's gotta be settled a lot sooner. IMO, I think the team and coaching staff HAD to of done a ton of self evaluation this off season. None of them had to of liked last year. If you expect no change or worse, then I guess that means you think Fran has no competitive spirit and likes losing cause he's cashing that fat check. It must also mean you think that Fran wants to subject his own children to the garbage that goes along with being a losing coach at Iowa. I expect a rather big turn around this season, if we don't see it, it should spell the end for Fran.

*** note, I wasn't speaking directly at you fntn - sorry if it sounded like I was***
This was the same logic you used when you said Fran was a going to go after a transfer with the two open schollies but it never happened. It may just be that Fran is a little stubborn and still believes his way is the right way.

I like your point about the difference in the schedule this year. Especially with the early concerned games we have to be ready to go. To make it back to the dance there is almost no room for error for this team.

My prediction is Fran continues to play too many guys, that likely costs a few games and leads to an NIT year. While it should spell the end for him at Iowa, it won’t.

He had to try something right? I get it. That said, he's got way too long of a bench and always has, though he typically shortened it as the season progressed. Now with a 20 game conference, early season tests, I think he's gotta be settled a lot sooner. IMO, I think the team and coaching staff HAD to of done a ton of self evaluation this off season. None of them had to of liked last year. If you expect no change or worse, then I guess that means you think Fran has no competitive spirit and likes losing cause he's cashing that fat check. It must also mean you think that Fran wants to subject his own children to the garbage that goes along with being a losing coach at Iowa. I expect a rather big turn around this season, if we don't see it, it should spell the end for Fran.

*** note, I wasn't speaking directly at you fntn - sorry if it sounded like I was***
Oh I totally get what your sayin all good. I think a big part of his shuffling of players what seemed almost random at times was just his frustration with how they were playing as individuals on the team. It's tough to 'reward' guys that are playing poorly and losing with more time in favor of someone else. I can see that mindset for sure. It was usually the shuffling of Moss, Pemsl, Baer, Dailey and Nunge who game to game probably just never knew what to expect with their PT.

Much of it will be how well Connor can play defense at that position. I don't know what to think. If McCaffery never made it an emphasis for his team in the past, how much can one assume it's an emphasis for his sons growing up in their home.

That makes sense. I am just going on my personal observation of his limited play last season.....

Obviously Fran, as has been documented, places little value on defense.....

Hope that I am correct on this.....

:cool:

The main problem with Fran attempting so many combinations is that many of the players do not have enough time on the floor, a few minutes at a time, to feel comfortable, realizing that if they make a mistake, they will probably not see significant playing time for a while.....

Kriener has been a vastly underused player who didn't get enough playing time to adjust to the game. When he did get more playing time he proved his value.....

As has been mentioned many times, Fran needs to find 7/8 players who will get the necessary playing time to present a strong lineup to deal with the conference games. We need to finish in the top half of the conference this time.....

Disagree. Defense. Look at the teams that go far in the tourney. Villanova plays pretty good team defense. Virginia hangs its hat on their defense.

Iowa has tried the "outscore" game plan since McCaffery has gotten here and it clearly hasn't worked.

It's a big gamble hoping your core 3-5 guys are going to hit on their shots each game. Good defense brings consistency and will keep a team in most games, even the games when shooting may be a bit off.

The ceiling for this team defensively is the Jok team from 2 years ago. Btw, wasn’t very good. Defense gets you deep in the tournament you don’t need it to make the tournament. At this stage all we are talking about is making the tournament.

It is not a big gamble increasing your 3 pt. attempts by 3-5 per game. For this year’s team it will be easier to “outscore” teams 85-80, than to lock them down 66-60.

The ceiling for this team defensively is the Jok team from 2 years ago. Btw, wasn’t very good. Defense gets you deep in the tournament you don’t need it to make the tournament. At this stage all we are talking about is making the tournament.

It is not a big gamble increasing your 3 pt. attempts by 3-5 per game. For this year’s team it will be easier to “outscore” teams 85-80, than to lock them down 66-60.

The team that was rated #1 in KenPom for a week was good playing D, sometimes excellent. The win at Purdue after being behind by 20 points was mainly due to a rabid defense. Didn't help with the eventual champion Villanova though. They tore through everyone they played up to the Championship Game with North Carolina.....

Believe they set a tournament record when they destroyed Oklahoma. That was almost painful to watch.....

That doesn't necessarily mean that Fran can coach D, but he did have Clemons on the floor, and maybe he influenced the others. They couldn't possibly be worse than last season.....

We shall see. The season depends on improvement on the defensive end of the floor.....

No.

First, how can you say the ceiling for this team is the Jok team from 2 years ago? That is a hell of an assumption. They weren't even coached much as far as playing team defense and this has been a focus this off season and year. You might not be able to grasp it, but things can change.

I am talking about the ability to make a run in the tournament. What's the use of making the tournament if you aren't expecting to do decent, and more importantly, build your team to make a decent run. Doesn't make sense.

I don't think coaches are in the business to build different kinds of teams. They usually recruit and coach what is their philosophy for the long term.

I’d add Weiskamp as well. I think he can play the 2. Dailey and Maishe can both shoot the 3. Mccaffery hasn’t proved anything yet.

Again, I’m just not very high on Connor. I think he’s a mid major player. Hopefully he goes out and proves me wrong but I think it’s unlikely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't "Dailey" and "Maishe" the same person? Maishe Dailey?

No.

First, how can you say the ceiling for this team is the Jok team from 2 years ago? That is a hell of an assumption. They weren't even coached much as far as playing team defense and this has been a focus this off season and year. You might not be able to grasp it, but things can change.

I am talking about the ability to make a run in the tournament. What's the use of making the tournament if you aren't expecting to do decent, and more importantly, build your team to make a decent run. Doesn't make sense.

I don't think coaches are in the business to build different kinds of teams. They usually recruit and coach what is their philosophy for the long term.

Last year Iowa was 242nd in defensive efficiency according to KenPom. So they are suppose to jump to I don't know 81st because Jbo's ankle feels better and FM yells "defense" a little more in practice? The Jok team of 2 years ago was 123rd in defensive efficiency. A team that won 10 conference games with Jok(their best player) not playing a lick of defense. Call me crazy, but dropping from 242 to 123 would be a drastic improvement. And you know what that Jok team wasn't very good defensively.

Look man, everybody wants Iowa to play better defense and they will. It just not going to be what you want and/or expect.

Mental toughness and resolve. We didn't have it last season. Time will tell if the coaches found a way to elicit it this season.

This was the same logic you used when you said Fran was a going to go after a transfer with the two open schollies but it never happened. It may just be that Fran is a little stubborn and still believes his way is the right way.

I like your point about the difference in the schedule this year. Especially with the early concerned games we have to be ready to go. To make it back to the dance there is almost no room for error for this team.

My prediction is Fran continues to play too many guys, that likely costs a few games and leads to an NIT year. While it should spell the end for him at Iowa, it won’t.

Going after and getting are two different things. He didn't have an easy sell for that heading into the season with a 2 year starter at PG, his son, Moss, Frederick, Dailey etc for a team that won 4 B1G games last season. The front court was always going to be a lot more crowded this season, where it just wasn't last year. I think he would have taken the right transfer if it made sense. I wanted him to get someone. I thought we needed it. While I think he's stubborn, I think he wants to win more than that. I think he wants to win period, regardless of style or how it's done or with what combination. That's just my opinion, Fran is a fierce competitor if nothing else and I don't see how last season wasn't a complete "come to jesus" moment for him and his staff. That's just my opinion and I expect a big turn around. I think coaches with teams like his take on their head coaches character and Fran's got a pretty wide swing. When it goes bad it goes really bad, when it goes good, it goes really good.

All this talk has me fired up, can't wait.

Going after and getting are two different things. He didn't have an easy sell for that heading into the season with a 2 year starter at PG, his son, Moss, Frederick, Dailey etc for a team that won 4 B1G games last season. The front court was always going to be a lot more crowded this season, where it just wasn't last year. I think he would have taken the right transfer if it made sense. I wanted him to get someone. I thought we needed it. While I think he's stubborn, I think he wants to win more than that. I think he wants to win period, regardless of style or how it's done or with what combination. That's just my opinion, Fran is a fierce competitor if nothing else and I don't see how last season wasn't a complete "come to jesus" moment for him and his staff. That's just my opinion and I expect a big turn around. I think coaches with teams like his take on their head coaches character and Fran's got a pretty wide swing. When it goes bad it goes really bad, when it goes good, it goes really good.

All this talk has me fired up, can't wait.
There's talent on this team. There's too much of it in fact for there to be another year like last. Cook is a stud. Working through him should get others really good looks. Garza is close to being one. Moss, my god he's capable of putting 20 pts up in a half if he can get his act together... JBo is probably going to go down as an all time favorite of mine by the time he's done. He's already done some crazy good things.

I'm apprehensive about the D of course. My two cents is with guys that aren't great defenders as one on one individually I think zone is the way to go. I don't like zone I think we rebound terribly out of it and leave too many open jump shooters. But I still think it'd overall be a good thing for this group of players to play more of. It'll be interesting to see how Fran does things this year on that side of the floor for sure.

Without defensive effort. This teams goes no where. Pretty obvious from every fan and every coach.

The Michigan game at end of last season had some glimmer of hope for defense for this season. The effort was there. I still shake my head at lack of effort at beginning of season. I think the team had big heads coming into last season. Need to play every game like it is their last of the season.

A lot of our defensive success will depend on not having mental mistakes on rotations. We don't have the athletes to man up and get in their face like West Virginia does full court.

I think a lot of people will be surprised at how much Cmac will help being healthy. Remember early last season when Ellingson was trying to play point guard. Dailey did well eventually in the limited role. Having another PG just to handle on ball pressure, set up offense, and spell someone defensively will be big. I'm not talking about him turning heads. Just fill the void that is needed for a few minutes a game.

Weiskamp has me very excited about watching him on the Hawks. Sounds like he checks all the boxes for what you want in a player. I'm trying to temper my expectations for a freshman.

I've hoping Moss and Cook got woke up by going to NBA combine process. Both have big potential. If Cook starts going after rebounds/defense like he goes after dunks. We will be golden!!! Moss is one of the guys that early on had terrible time rotating on defense.

I think Cook has the ability to lead this team. Seems like that is another thing that may have been missing since Jok was gone. Not necessarily getting a bucket in a time of need, but more of leading in practice/huddles type of thing.

I am excited about this year and keep checking forum for any basketball news I can grasp onto. Should be a better year. I can't handle 4 wins in conference again.

GO HAWKS!!!

Last year Iowa was 242nd in defensive efficiency according to KenPom. So they are suppose to jump to I don't know 81st because Jbo's ankle feels better and FM yells "defense" a little more in practice? The Jok team of 2 years ago was 123rd in defensive efficiency. A team that won 10 conference games with Jok(their best player) not playing a lick of defense. Call me crazy, but dropping from 242 to 123 would be a drastic improvement. And you know what that Jok team wasn't very good defensively.

Look man, everybody wants Iowa to play better defense and they will. It just not going to be what you want and/or expect.

Look, nobody is saying Iowa has to make it in the top 30 or even 50 for defense to get where they want to get. What Iowa has to do is just play a little better defense to get into the tourney. Yes, the more the better and we can wish but two years ago they were 1 solid game flipping a L to a W and they would have been in.

The way Iowa plays with their players and kinds of players they have they can afford not to be the absolute best on D as they can score points, but they need to be a bit better than they have been. There offense gives them a bit of a cushion.

In addition, even if they improve one area, one, in their defense they could be gold. In the past Iowa has had problems BOTH giving up drives and dishes and covering the 3 shot. Killed by both. Even if they 100% just work on one thing to improve, like covering the 3 pt shot better as a team, they will improve and most likely get over the hump. They can be that close if they improve in just that one area.

Look, nobody is saying Iowa has to make it in the top 30 or even 50 for defense to get where they want to get. What Iowa has to do is just play a little better defense to get into the tourney. Yes, the more the better and we can wish but two years ago they were 1 solid game flipping a L to a W and they would have been in.

The way Iowa plays with their players and kinds of players they have they can afford not to be the absolute best on D as they can score points, but they need to be a bit better than they have been. There offense gives them a bit of a cushion.

In addition, even if they improve one area, one, in their defense they could be gold. In the past Iowa has had problems BOTH giving up drives and dishes and covering the 3 shot. Killed by both. Even if they 100% just work on one thing to improve, like covering the 3 pt shot better as a team, they will improve and most likely get over the hump. They can be that close if they improve in just that one area.

As this roster is currently constructed I just don't think they will be very good on D. If they can get those defensive efficiency numbers down to the 120(s) it means they are winning games 85-80. That translates to they are getting key stops 5 minutes before each half and preventing big runs that we saw waaaay too much of last year.

The defense everyone is clamoring for you are not going to get. Defensive efficiency numbers in the 120(s) isn't great defense, but with this roster you will take it.

I am the lone ranger on this, but i want iowa's 3 pt. attempts to increase because it easier for this roster to beat teams 85-80, than to lock them down 66-60.

Agree. I think the talent level is elevated, but even more, Baer has shown that he has tired easily in the past. Maybe he's better coming off the bench with his overall decent game, and he can go balls out for stretches of minutes to contribute, then rest accordingly between time on the court.

Baer is best coming off the bench.He is heady, intelligent and savvy who analyzes the game from the bench, knowing what needs to be done. Last season was different with the starts throwing him off balance. Having a sixth man off the bench who has the ability to contribute immediately is a huge bonus That is his forte.....

Baer is best coming off the bench.He is heady, intelligent and savvy who analyzes the game from the bench, knowing what needs to be done. Last season was different with the starts throwing him off balance. Having a sixth man off the bench who has the ability to contribute immediately is a huge bonus That is his forte.....

I love watching him crash the offensive glass. He's gotten us countless 2nd chances not even just with getting the rebound himself but tipping it to someone else. He's not just a hustler but a smart opportunistic one

Latest posts