Howe: Five Thoughts About Hawkeyes with Hoops Practice Tipping Off

Good write up Rob. With the loss to UW the other day I did start to think about b-ball season just a bit (The football team isn’t done yet).

On point #3, I’ve just never got this logic. JBo is good on offense and bad on defense. That doesn’t change at the 1 or the 2. Offense isn’t the issue for Iowa so while getting JBo more threes sounds like an okay idea, I don’t think it really helps much at all. In essence you are creating more minutes for Connor while limiting the minutes for Weiskamp, Moss, and Dailey, which I think is a bad idea.

There is nothing that says that JBo can’t bring the ball up throw it to a guy at the top and run through double screens to get an open look at 3 on any given possession even while he’s playing PG.

I’m not very high on Connor, so that’s probably part of it.

Good write up Rob. With the loss to UW the other day I did start to think about b-ball season just a bit (The football team isn’t done yet).

On point #3, I’ve just never got this logic. JBo is good on offense and bad on defense. That doesn’t change at the 1 or the 2. Offense isn’t the issue for Iowa so while getting JBo more threes sounds like an okay idea, I don’t think it really helps much at all. In essence you are creating more minutes for Connor while limiting the minutes for Weiskamp, Moss, and Dailey, which I think is a bad idea.

There is nothing that says that JBo can’t bring the ball up throw it to a guy at the top and run through double screens to get an open look at 3 on any given possession even while he’s playing PG.

I agree mostly. The only question not answered is if Connor will be more of a plus player than Moss and Dailey. If he is, playing JB at the 2 makes sense. If he's not, we are better off with him at the 1.

I noticed that #s 1,3, 4 & 5 are all directly related to coaching. (Ok, 3 might be better described as "recruiting")

Still... Coincidence? I think not.

Connor would be very effective running the point. He is already an accomplished passer from what I saw during his limited playing time while perhaps less than 50% health wise.....

With Jordan and Joe on the floor with Tyler and Luka inside, we should be dangerous offensively. Connor understands the importance of moving the ball constantly, keeping the opponents off balance while getting the ball to open sharpshooters on the perimeter and inside to Cook and Garza who should have more room to operate with the threat on the outside gaining attention.....

He should help on D also. He understands the concept of playing D and just might be a floor general on offense and defense. The defense is the deciding factor this season we cannot provide a freeway to the basket this season. We have to stop penetration in transition and from the perimeter. Any improvement would help......

We will have no problem putting points on the board, just have to stop the opponent from doing likewise.....

Getting excited about the basketball season. I certainly hope we land one of these 4/5 star prospects but perhaps we have to provide a season of competent basketball offensively and defensively to get the signature.....

:cool:

I just think having more confident ball handlers as options allow teams to not just wear Jordan out the second they inbound the ball. I think Jordan loses minutes - but I think that's a good thing in the grand scheme. Last year, he was the only confident ball handler Iowa had. Not Dailey, not Moss, no one else could bring the ball up consistently. Now, there's Connor, Joe W, Moss is a hopefully a year stronger with the ball, and Dailey did make a ton of improvement as the season progressed. Teams wore Jordan out IMO and that made him an even bigger liability on defense. I am excited to see what having extra bodies at the 1,2 & 3 do for everything all together.

Last edited:

If you don’t want to see that combo in the backcourt you better get a lot more consistency out of Moss and a continued steady improvement from Dailey.

If you don’t want to see that combo in the backcourt you better get a lot more consistency out of Moss and a continued steady improvement from Dailey.
I’d add Weiskamp as well. I think he can play the 2. Dailey and Moss can both shoot the 3. Mccaffery hasn’t proved anything yet.

Again, I’m just not very high on Connor. I think he’s a mid major player. Hopefully he goes out and proves me wrong but I think it’s unlikely.

Last edited:
Connor would be very effective running the point. He is already an accomplished passer from what I saw during his limited playing time while perhaps less than 50% health wise.....

With Jordan and Joe on the floor with Tyler and Luka inside, we should be dangerous offensively. Connor understands the importance of moving the ball constantly, keeping the opponents off balance while getting the ball to open sharpshooters on the perimeter and inside to Cook and Garza who should have more room to operate with the threat on the outside gaining attention.....

He should help on D also. He understands the concept of playing D and just might be a floor general on offense and defense. The defense is the deciding factor this season we cannot provide a freeway to the basket this season. We have to stop penetration in transition and from the perimeter. Any improvement would help......

We will have no problem putting points on the board, just have to stop the opponent from doing likewise.....

Getting excited about the basketball season. I certainly hope we land one of these 4/5 star prospects but perhaps we have to provide a season of competent basketball offensively and defensively to get the signature.....

:cool:

Much of it will be how well Connor can play defense at that position. I don't know what to think. If McCaffery never made it an emphasis for his team in the past, how much can one assume it's an emphasis for his sons growing up in their home.

I’d add Weiskamp as well. I think he can play the 2. Dailey and Amos’s can both shoot the 3. Mccaffery hasn’t proved anything yet.

Again, I’m just not very high on Connor. I think he’s a mid major player. Hopefully he goes out and proves me wrong but I think it’s unlikely.

Imo, basketball has become about shooting the 3 and defending the 3. I don’t think this group will ever be good at defending it. I realize I am in the minority, but I think they need to put up more 3(s) try to “outscore” people.

Another thing Fran the man needs to do is come out of the gate a little quicker with his line-up and find consistency instead of mixing and matching different games. Find the 5 core guys to start and mix the bench in. If find later that someone is ahead of schedule than you thought, you can slowly add them in he mix or even start them later.

The past two years, Iowa hasn't had that consistency at the beginning of the season, which resulted in a couple head scratching losses which two years ago kept them out of the NCAA tourney.

Imo, basketball has become about shooting the 3 and defending the 3. I don’t think this group will ever be good at defending it. I realize I am in the minority, but I think they need to put up more 3(s) try to “outscore” people.

Disagree. Defense. Look at the teams that go far in the tourney. Villanova plays pretty good team defense. Virginia hangs its hat on their defense.

Iowa has tried the "outscore" game plan since McCaffery has gotten here and it clearly hasn't worked.

It's a big gamble hoping your core 3-5 guys are going to hit on their shots each game. Good defense brings consistency and will keep a team in most games, even the games when shooting may be a bit off.

Another thing Fran the man needs to do is come out of the gate a little quicker with his line-up and find consistency instead of mixing and matching different games. Find the 5 core guys to start and mix the bench in. If find later that someone is ahead of schedule than you thought, you can slowly add them in he mix or even start them later.

The past two years, Iowa hasn't had that consistency at the beginning of the season, which resulted in a couple head scratching losses which two years ago kept them out of the NCAA tourney.
Yeah it's like he never settled on a lineup/rotation at all last yr. If you can figure out if your starting Baer or Wieskamp or not and to what extent are you playing CM and Dailey along with the big guys rotating the better. I almost think starting Wieskamp day 1 and leaving Baer in his 6th man role is the way to go but that's without having seen one second of them all on the floor yet so I'm talking out my arse when I suggest that. But regardless of what they do just stick with it and let these kids have defined roles so they know what to expect game to game

Yeah it's like he never settled on a lineup/rotation at all last yr. If you can figure out if your starting Baer or Wieskamp or not and to what extent are you playing CM and Dailey along with the big guys rotating the better. I almost think starting Wieskamp day 1 and leaving Baer in his 6th man role is the way to go but that's without having seen one second of them all on the floor yet so I'm talking out my arse when I suggest that. But regardless of what they do just stick with it and let these kids have defined roles so they know what to expect game to game

Agree. I think the talent level is elevated, but even more, Baer has shown that he has tired easily in the past. Maybe he's better coming off the bench with his overall decent game, and he can go balls out for stretches of minutes to contribute, then rest accordingly between time on the court.

He's always had too long of bench - we all know this - but I can't really blame him for not finding his rotation and lineup last season since the team was getting its doors blown off by just about everyone.

Agree. I think the talent level is elevated, but even more, Baer has shown that he has tired easily in the past. Maybe he's better coming off the bench with his overall decent game, and he can go balls out for stretches of minutes to contribute, then rest accordingly between time on the court.
Yeah watching Baer after he's played awhile out there you can see him laboring up and down the court... He gives so much in 2-4 min bursts that it wears him down as you say. From all the hype around Joe W it'd seem this could be a possibility but we'll see...

Baer is hunched over and blowing wind every game. I am shocked that is not evaluated more since the players where those "thingermerbobs" (i think that's the technical word for em) on the back of their jerseys to detect heart rate and is suppose to help the team figure out when players need a blow

He's always had too long of bench - we all know this - but I can't really blame him for not finding his rotation and lineup last season since the team was getting its doors blown off by just about everyone.
Very true... Losing and being down a ton is a huge factor with how he was mixing and matching too... Good point.

If Weiskamp isn’t better than Baer from the word go we are in big trouble.

With that said the best player doesn’t always need to start, but I think we saw the Baer starting experiment last year and it didn’t go well.

Very true... Losing and being down a ton is a huge factor with how he was mixing and matching too... Good point.

He had to try something right? I get it. That said, he's got way too long of a bench and always has, though he typically shortened it as the season progressed. Now with a 20 game conference, early season tests, I think he's gotta be settled a lot sooner. IMO, I think the team and coaching staff HAD to of done a ton of self evaluation this off season. None of them had to of liked last year. If you expect no change or worse, then I guess that means you think Fran has no competitive spirit and likes losing cause he's cashing that fat check. It must also mean you think that Fran wants to subject his own children to the garbage that goes along with being a losing coach at Iowa. I expect a rather big turn around this season, if we don't see it, it should spell the end for Fran.

*** note, I wasn't speaking directly at you fntn - sorry if it sounded like I was***