Howe: Can Cade McNamara Fix Iowa Offense?

Iowa's offensive woes were not because of Spencer Petras. It all starts up front and we sucked up front this year. Bad. If I had a magic wand and could have chosen "replace Petras" or "give this Iowa team a decent line" I would have chosen to ride with Petras and fix the line and I am certain, absolutely certain, that Iowa would have been at least 10-2. If you replace Petras I'm not sure the team gets any better.

I agree the line was a lot of Petras problems but he's also been known to stare down his receivers and sometimes misses wide open ones. But having said that with McNamara's knee issues I'm hoping Petras returns for another season. For 1 McNamara may not be ready for the start of the season and having a 2nd QB with Petras's experience would be beneficial as a backup or replacement starter.

I'm reading tweets that say McNamara has ties to Traeshon Holden the WR from Alabama and Iowa is at the top of his list.

YES PLEASE!

I agree the line was a lot of Petras problems but he's also been known to stare down his receivers and sometimes misses wide open ones. But having said that with McNamara's knee issues I'm hoping Petras returns for another season. For 1 McNamara may not be ready for the start of the season and having a 2nd QB with Petras's experience would be beneficial as a backup or replacement starter.
I have no insight but I have to doubt Spencer's return. I would have to think that they went after McNamara
with the knowledge that Spencer was gone and they communicated that to him.

I find it difficult to get all caught up in the Cade hysteria as the last picture of him that I saw was him coming out of the hospital in a whellchair with his right knee wrapped and elevated. Knees can be a long rehab. Let's hope either Labas, May or Lainez is ready to go.
Had some similar thoughts but more about the position we're in if he goes down again as there would be some degree of added risk with him already having a "serious injury". Wouldn't surprise me to see some further activity at this position before all the dust settles.

the answer is D. All of the Above

The OLine was terrible
We can't recruit good WRs
The Playcalling and Scheme are outdated
Petras couldn't see a stacked box or blitz
Petras stared down receivers and went slowly thru his progression
Petras often missed wide open receivers

All of these things are true, and all led to the 2 worst Offense in the FBS.

The answer to your headline is
NO!!!!

The only people who can begin to change the offense won't do anything about it. See below:

AD - Gary Barta doesn't have the nads to fire BF who reports to him and is afraid of KF.
Head coach - KF will not change his offensive philosophy in any way meaningful and his wife would harm him if he fired one of their kids.
OC - Brian Ferentz was not qualified to be an OC and QB coach at any other P5 school and let's state the
obvious. He got the job because his dad is the head coach and the AD, Gary Barta. Well, see the above under AD.

OC - Brian Ferentz was not qualified to be an OC and QB coach at any other P5 school and let's state the
obvious. He got the job because his dad is the head coach and the AD, Gary Barta. Well, see the above under AD.

There are rumors swirling around this. HH reports there are rumors of Josh Gattis from Miami being a "frontrunner" (interesting choice of word) for the OC position.

I would think more offensive players will transfer, but who knows. Don't think we'll see any of the starting O-lineman go, unless it's to a D-2 or D-3 school. Certainly they won't go to another D-1 school as they're unfortunately not talented enough at this time.

In the current state of Iowa Football, it is where a QB's career comes to die. Don't understand McNamara and his decision but so be it.

There are rumors swirling around this. HH reports there are rumors of Josh Gattis from Miami being a "frontrunner" (interesting choice of word) for the OC position.
Why Gattis leave Mich for Miami? Seems like a lateral at best move.

Cade may just be able to help fix the wide receiver problem thru attracting talent via the portal.

In the current state of Iowa Football, it is where a QB's career comes to die. Don't understand McNamara and his decision but so be it.
Maybe he knows something those of us who are rank amateurs, including you, don’t know.

This
Iowa's offensive woes were not because of Spencer Petras. It all starts up front and we sucked up front this year. Bad. If I had a magic wand and could have chosen "replace Petras" or "give this Iowa team a decent line" I would have chosen to ride with Petras and fix the line and I am certain, absolutely certain, that Iowa would have been at least 10-2. If you replace Petras I'm not sure the team gets any better.
x 1000. Nothing matters at all unless we figure out the offensive line.

The answer to your headline is
NO!!!!

The only people who can begin to change the offense won't do anything about it. See below:

AD - Gary Barta doesn't have the nads to fire BF who reports to him and is afraid of KF.
Head coach - KF will not change his offensive philosophy in any way meaningful and his wife would harm him if he fired one of their kids.
You are correct, and the numbers and offensive rankings back up your statements

Cade McNamara fix the Iowa offense? Nope. But he can be a piece. Let's say Iowa lands Jake Renfro from the portal. Your offense line now looks like this:

Richman
Colby
Renfro
Jones
Proctor

On paper that is better than what is there now. You add McNamara, who reminds me of Trace McSorley, a guy who just makes plays when you need them and this offense is automatically better.