Howe: Can Cade McNamara Fix Iowa Offense?

I think and wrote Taylor has a choice to make. He’ll be 26 before the start of next season and has punted for 3 seasons in college.

I think and wrote Taylor has a choice to make. He’ll be 26 before the start of next season and has punted for 3 seasons in college.
That is a valid point. I just don't know if this year was good enough for him to make the jump to the NFL. But also the NFL might not be his end goal.

Without a doubt McNamara will help to fix the offense but there are so many plugs to fill on this boat. It starts with the coaching staff and overall philosophy. They need to work on involving the WR and RB in the passing game and not rely solely on the TE. The run blocking schemes are weak. It doesn’t seem the zone blocking is being very effective. During last years bowl game we switched to a more man on man scheme and we ran the ball effectively. I would like to see more of that. We need to hit the portal HARD for a couple of WR. Sell them on hope of fixing this offense. Wouldn’t hurt to get another OL in portal as well. I’m hoping Proctor will be a starter when he hits campus.

We need to hit the portal HARD for a couple of WR. Sell them on hope of fixing this offense. Wouldn’t hurt to get another OL in portal as well. I’m hoping Proctor will be a starter when he hits campus.
I think they're hitting it hard. You don't get a guy like CM right outta the gate like that if you weren't already in talks and offering big money. Hopefully someone in the booster ranks at Iowa has woken people up to the necessity of being competitive with the checkbook and not wasting time fucking around until next June.

That is a valid point. I just don't know if this year was good enough for him to make the jump to the NFL. But also the NFL might not be his end goal.

NFL is definitely his goal. Maybe he likes college enough to stay one more year. I think he's shown enough for pro scouts. Dude is amazing.

I think they're hitting it hard. You don't get a guy like CM right outta the gate like that if you weren't already in talks and offering big money. Hopefully someone in the booster ranks at Iowa has woken people up to the necessity of being competitive with the checkbook and not wasting time fucking around until next June.
They are definitely going after WR. Decent chance Iowa gets TeSlaa and it appears as if CM is going to try and recruit Taeshon (sp?) Holden, a 4* WR from Bama that’s in the portal.

Oline Oline Oline... If Iowa can't run the ball better and pass protect the offense will have it's limitations just based on that. I think McNamara being able to throw accurately with his feet not set and off balance from different arm angles really really helps. He's damn near the opposite of Petras skill set wise. He doesn't have to run the zone read 10 times a game but he's not a statue and can convert a 3rd down with his legs if he has to. (assuming knee rehabs how it should)

Landing him is a huge domino of things rebuilding the right direction. But BF also has to call plays better. His situational playcalling needs to be more aggressive. On 2nd and 1 take a shot. Can't be in I formation double tight with a FB 50% or more of the time or whatever it is they've been doing it. Not in todays college football.

They are definitely going after WR. Decent chance Iowa gets TeSlaa and it appears as if CM is going to try and recruit Taeshon (sp?) Holden, a 4* WR from Bama that’s in the portal.

Isaace TeSlaa would be a nice get.

6’4”, 210 lbs with a 41 inch vertical and 4.54 speed

GULP!

I find it difficult to get all caught up in the Cade hysteria as the last picture of him that I saw was him coming out of the hospital in a whellchair with his right knee wrapped and elevated. Knees can be a long rehab. Let's hope either Labas, May or Lainez is ready to go.

Isaace TeSlaa would be a nice get.

6’4”, 210 lbs with a 41 inch vertical and 4.54 speed

GULP!
This. I wish we would be able to land bigger receivers. I mean I get the whole Wes Welker-esque thing like Ragaini, Bruce, Easley, Jones, etc., but give me a 6'5" stretch receiver who can out gazelle people in the flat and go up and grab passes any day of the week.

To me the perfect receiver build is like Randy Moss, for instance.

We probably know how the knee is. Cade's experience will be a big plus. Now fix that line and take all the advice from Cade you can get. He will know a lot about offensive football. Just have to add that the Nebby game was horrible to watch. Hopefully, that will be a wake-up call to the coaches. And add that with the Big money north of 50 million we sure as hell should invest some of that in an offensive guru.

McNamara wasn't the most mobile guy to begin with -- probably the primary reason he lost his job this season -- and you can expect he'll be pretty much a statue in the pocket like Petras. Which, other than the occasional naked bootleg, is what Iowa's offensive coaches seem to prefer anyway.

Iowa's offensive woes were not because of Spencer Petras. It all starts up front and we sucked up front this year. Bad. If I had a magic wand and could have chosen "replace Petras" or "give this Iowa team a decent line" I would have chosen to ride with Petras and fix the line and I am certain, absolutely certain, that Iowa would have been at least 10-2. If you replace Petras I'm not sure the team gets any better.

This. I wish we would be able to land bigger receivers. I mean I get the whole Wes Welker-esque thing like Ragaini, Bruce, Easley, Jones, etc., but give me a 6'5" stretch receiver who can out gazelle people in the flat and go up and grab passes any day of the week.

To me the perfect receiver build is like Randy Moss, for instance.
This.

Latest posts