Howe: Can Cade McNamara Fix Iowa Offense?

Or it's a blessing if he had character issues. We don't need to start having nebraska type issues.

Alabama staff told him not to come back, can't be a good situation.

It still sucks, Iowa could use a good WR and it sucks that he has these character issues to where Iowa now doesn't want him.

So other then not being 6'4 230 he's exactly what KF wants in a qb right? He's more Drew Tateish but hopefully more accurate. IDC if he can't throw it 65 yards down field. We damn near never do that anyway. If he can put it 25-30 yards down the field accurately and on time consistently he'll win me over
Tate was the most accurate QB in the KF era, IMHO. If Tate were 6'3 he would have been a high draft pick.

It still sucks, Iowa could use a good WR and it sucks that he has these character issues to where Iowa now doesn't want him.
I have no idea what this guy's issues are but I still liked watching DJK on the field, despite his baggage.
I'd guess that's the sort of risk KF would avoid, in spite of improving the offense.

I have no idea what this guy's issues are but I still liked watching DJK on the field, despite his baggage.
I'd guess that's the sort of risk KF would avoid, in spite of improving the offense.

My guess is there are no issues because Nick doesn't tolerate drama and bullshit. Bama's probably just bad mouthing the kid so he ends up with no options other than Coastal Carolina or some place where Nick isn't going to have to play against him.

How crazy would Iowa fans get if they could trot out a competent offense next year? It would be like seeing an oasis after weeks of wandering in the desert.

I am encouraged by KF's talk of a top-to-bottom rethinking of the program, like at the end of 2014. KF might be stubborn, but he isn't stupid. He sees the future, and I like his odds of being able to create a plan to match that future more than just about anyone else.
He's being forced. He'll have no one left.

This makes no sense.
I keep hearing how difficult the Iowa offense is - to learn and execute.
Each week (season?) Kirk blames the latest offensive implosion on poor execution.
The strategy for the next week (season?) is to stay the course, with the same offense that is demonstrably too difficult for our players to execute.
“Poor execution” is a totally accurate reason for failure to win. However, coaches are in fact responsible for producing good execution. Of course, skill levels of players impact at a high level, as well. (Not disagreeing with your post)

“Poor execution” is a totally accurate reason for failure to win. However, coaches are in fact responsible for producing good execution. Of course, skill levels of players impact at a high level, as well. (Not disagreeing with your post)
It seems logical to match the offensive scheme to the talent on-hand; not the talent you wish you had.
If the talent is incapable of executing a complicated scheme, why would any coach keep running the complex scheme which cant (and doesn't) work?

Last edited: