Howe: Can Cade McNamara Fix Iowa Offense?

Oh yeah, the new QB is a definite upgrade over their top 2 guys, but it still won't matter. The modern game of football has been passing KF by for years. And it's finally hit the breaking point.

Take Phil Parker away and this is a solid 4-8 team annually at best.
Yes.

Here is Cade's scouting paragraph from 247 prior to entering Michigan as a freshman.

At 6-foot-1, and just over 200 pounds, McNamara is not as tall as other nationally-ranked quarterbacks, but does have good weight and muscle as he enters college. He played in a spread-out system which allowed him to throw a lot of balls in high school. He is accurate, has good placement and touch and can throw into windows. His best asset may be his ability to throw from odd angles and on the move without needing to have his feet set. While he has not posted big rushing stats, he shows good ability to elude pressure and extend plays. He has taken good care of the the football with an over 5-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio his sophomore through senior seasons. His intangibles, in general, are a major asset. He will have to adjust to the speed of the college game and throwing into tighter windows. He has the quick release and necessary velocity for that, but did not see consistently high-level secondary speed in his high school career. Intangibles and accuracy are likely to carry him to a productive college career and he could develop into an NFL draft choice.

Athletic Background​

Cade McNamara is a Pro-Style Quarterback from Reno, NV.

The accuracy and positive statement about throwing into windows excites me. This and the low TO ratio. This is right up KF's alley.

Here is Cade's scouting paragraph from 247 prior to entering Michigan as a freshman.

At 6-foot-1, and just over 200 pounds, McNamara is not as tall as other nationally-ranked quarterbacks, but does have good weight and muscle as he enters college. He played in a spread-out system which allowed him to throw a lot of balls in high school. He is accurate, has good placement and touch and can throw into windows. His best asset may be his ability to throw from odd angles and on the move without needing to have his feet set. While he has not posted big rushing stats, he shows good ability to elude pressure and extend plays. He has taken good care of the the football with an over 5-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio his sophomore through senior seasons. His intangibles, in general, are a major asset. He will have to adjust to the speed of the college game and throwing into tighter windows. He has the quick release and necessary velocity for that, but did not see consistently high-level secondary speed in his high school career. Intangibles and accuracy are likely to carry him to a productive college career and he could develop into an NFL draft choice.

Athletic Background​

Cade McNamara is a Pro-Style Quarterback from Reno, NV.
So other then not being 6'4 230 he's exactly what KF wants in a qb right? He's more Drew Tateish but hopefully more accurate. IDC if he can't throw it 65 yards down field. We damn near never do that anyway. If he can put it 25-30 yards down the field accurately and on time consistently he'll win me over

So other then not being 6'4 230 he's exactly what KF wants in a qb right? He's more Drew Tateish but hopefully more accurate. IDC if he can't throw it 65 yards down field. We damn near never do that anyway. If he can put it 25-30 yards down the field accurately and on time consistently he'll win me over
Making throws over LBs and in front of safeties and I'm sold.

How crazy would Iowa fans get if they could trot out a competent offense next year? It would be like seeing an oasis after weeks of wandering in the desert.

I am encouraged by KF's talk of a top-to-bottom rethinking of the program, like at the end of 2014. KF might be stubborn, but he isn't stupid. He sees the future, and I like his odds of being able to create a plan to match that future more than just about anyone else.

No QB is going to be good (or throw downfield with accuracy) with the line being SO awful (like this year and maybe last year).

Hell, our traditional offense couldn't run the ball either. So, while we love to rip on Petras, QBs have to have a bit of time (and have a decent running game). Not sure any QB would do well with this team's offense.

If you want to read some of what the QB is expected to do, this thread is a great read from a great follow:

This makes no sense.
I keep hearing how difficult the Iowa offense is - to learn and execute.
Each week (season?) Kirk blames the latest offensive implosion on poor execution.
The strategy for the next week (season?) is to stay the course, with the same offense that is demonstrably too difficult for our players to execute.

Last edited:
This makes no sense.
I keep hearing how difficult the Iowa offense is - to learn and execute.
Each week (season?) Kirk blames the latest offensive implosion on poor execution.
The strategy for the next week (season?) is to stay the course, with the same offense that is demonstrably too difficult for our players to execute.

This is Ferentz's way of avoiding throwing anyone under the bus. The poor execution is often due to a glaring deficiency on the o-line, but you can't say "the right side of the o-line might as well just be a couple of blocking dummies."