Howe: Buck Stops with Kirk Ferentz

You can't. These kids want to play in the NFL and no highly touted WR or QB recruit is gonna walk through that door with what is going on right now.
Another question is "how many will stay?"
We have already had a mass exodus of WR's in the portal, which in hindsight looks prescient.
Who might be next?

With the rules in play today where the players can come and go, this could be bad sooner than 24 months. We already had that 4 star RB decommit. Could end up with no star-1 star talent. Our offense is the laughingstock of college football. How to you sell that to a kid?
Agreed, IOWA football will be trending toward - Its Only Walk-on Athletes

I don't think anybody is making KF do anything. That's the dynamic.

I'll add to this - Kirk has meticulous attention to detail. There is no big picture. He stacks bee bees all day. Its beyond his ability to hire a new offensive coordinator. A sliver of hope is from the past. They hired a consultant afer 2014 and it payed dividends. Maaybe he'll hire a consultant again and Listen to the person.

As we age we like comfort. People like to stay in their comfort zone - find a groove and stick to it. but what if the groove is a rut?

KF hired a consultant for media relations purposes. That was after the "That's Football" comment.

I don't remember him hiring any football consultants other than in analytics. And that took awhile.

KF hired a consultant for media relations purposes. That was after the "That's Football" comment.

I don't remember him hiring any football consultants other than in analytics. And that took awhile.
ok... I was thinking they looked at everything...one of the reasons they started morning practices. you would know. cheers!

been saying this for years. It’s crazy to me that people let Kirk off the hook and think a new OC would do anything.
Its funny that it’s well known that Kirk has little to do with the defense. It’s the thing that has kept him employed.

You know I’ve been there right beside you for years also.

I think Kirk is stuck in the mud with his offensive mindset. Stubborn and proud. So I don’t think it matters who he brings in as an OC. The problem with the the offense isn’t the OC it’s the HC and his control freak mindset.

Rob,

I just want to compliment you on the article. If was very well stated. You gave some good compliments to Kirk and deservingly so. Yet you pointed out the flaws in his thinking.

I’ve posted in a thread not to long ago that the best thing for the program would be for Brian to be reassigned as a position coach and for Kirk to seek out an OC who knows how to run an elaborate offense. Then Kirk needs to give that new OC the keys and step back and let that OC do HIS thing.

It hurts nothing but possibly Kirk’s ego and pride. Why? Think about it? It it worked and gained great success then everyone will be saying “why in the eff didn’t we do this fifteen years ago?” There that damn stubborn pigheaded pride.

This is where our AD completely bones us. A good AD would bring in Kurt this week during the bye and have a long talk about his legacy and dangle a portion of the existing buyout in front of him and say "dude, we love what you've done, but we think the program needs some fresh lifeblood" and you give the guy $15 or $20 million to retire at the end of the year, promote Woods to HC, get a new OC and line coach and keep as much intact as possible. I don't think the program is in a terrible place right now, but it could easily be a full on tire fire within 24 months.

Couldn’t agree more. He has been a good coach and has represented the University well,

The problem is that Gary has no gonads, when it comes to the Kirk. Well, I can’t exactly be sure of my last statement, but it sure looks that way.m

Gary has a great gig himself and the last thing he wants to do is stand up in his Iowa Hawkeye boat carelessly with his shotgun and blow holes in the boat floor. In other words he might not have shit to say about any big decisions. He may just be a puppet on strings.

The recent turn of events is so sad with his son. Been there done that with my best friend. I bought out his company from a shyster who had conned his way into control of my friend’s business. I went in and bought the company back and set up easy payments for my friend to give him his company back. However it was a huge investment so I had to hold majority shares until I got my money back at which point he would regain control of his company.

The company started to struggle and in our contract it was written that if the company started to lose money to the point that it jeopardized my investment, then I had the right to liquidate the entire company.

What a terrible, terrible position to be in. On one side was my best friend that I risked everything for and on the other side was my wife and kids. My kids were just approaching college age and plans were already made to attend a prestigious college. Grants and scholarships were there but it would still mean a significant financial contribution on my part. What a mess! We weren’t bankrupt but we were going in the wrong direction. After looking at the net worth of the company I decided to make my best friend this offer. I pointed out the net worth of the company to him and what my share of that net worth was. I then made him this offer. If you can go to the back and using the assets and net worth of the company and projected sales and income and get a loan to buy me out for one fourth of what my share is, then I will relinquish all my share back to you. He was thrilled with the idea, got the loan, I got my investment back with a small amount of spending cash for my two college bound children. Win, win.

Kirk’s got himself into a mess here. He needs to find a way out that is a win, win. I am not sure what that path looks like. Maybe his voluntary retirement and leave the keys with our defensive coordinator and other coaches to figure it out.

Couldn’t agree more. He has been a good coach and has represented the University well,

The problem is that Gary has no gonads, when it comes to the Kirk. Well, I can’t exactly be sure of my last statement, but it sure looks that way.m

Gary has a great gig himself and the last thing he wants to do is stand up in his Iowa Hawkeye boat carelessly with his shotgun and blow holes in the boat floor. In other words he might not have shit to say about any big decisions. He may just be a puppet on strings.

The recent turn of events is so sad with his son. Been there done that with my best friend. I bought out his company from a shyster who had conned his way into control of my friend’s business. I went in and bought the company back and set up easy payments for my friend to give him his company back. However it was a huge investment so I had to hold majority shares until I got my money back at which point he would regain control of his company.

The company started to struggle and in our contract it was written that if the company started to lose money to the point that it jeopardized my investment, then I had the right to liquidate the entire company.

What a terrible, terrible position to be in. On one side was my best friend that I risked everything for and on the other side was my wife and kids. My kids were just approaching college age and plans were already made to attend a prestigious college. Grants and scholarships were there but it would still mean a significant financial contribution on my part. What a mess! We weren’t bankrupt but we were going in the wrong direction. After looking at the net worth of the company I decided to make my best friend this offer. I pointed out the net worth of the company to him and what my share of that net worth was. I then made him this offer. If you can go to the back and using the assets and net worth of the company and projected sales and income and get a loan to buy me out for one fourth of what my share is, then I will relinquish all my share back to you. He was thrilled with the idea, got the loan, I got my investment back with a small amount of spending cash for my two college bound children. Win, win.

Kirk’s got himself into a mess here. He needs to find a way out that is a win, win. I am not sure what that path looks like. Maybe his voluntary retirement and leave the keys with our defensive coordinator and other coaches to figure it out.
I'm afraid the solution to this problem rests with Brian.
For all the reasons stated, neither Kirk nor Barta is going to fire Brian.
Brian needs to put on his big boy pants and realize he has damaged the program and his father by his poor performance. He also needs to accept that remaining on in the OC capacity will exacerbate the problem.
I suspect Kirk or some connection could find him a more suitable position at an FCS or MAC / WAC program.
Does he have the integrity to do the right thing?

You know I’ve been there right beside you for years also.

I think Kirk is stuck in the mud with his offensive mindset. Stubborn and proud. So I don’t think it matters who he brings in as an OC. The problem with the the offense isn’t the OC it’s the HC and his control freak mindset.

But here's the deal and why most are talking about the OC. We all know that Kirk is not going anywhere unless it's on his own terms, so, is the reason we keep talking about the OC position. We know that is what has to change.

Yes, many would luv to talk about turning the page for a fresh start, but we know that conversation is fruitless at this point.

Its not just integrity for Brian, its career survival. KF won't have his job forever. Someone else is going to have to employ him eventually. He has a good overall resume and appears to have dreams as a HC someday. He needs to shine up his resume by being a position coach in the NFL or take a FCS head coaching job or the like. He needs to leave the nest for his own good, not just the good of Iowa and his Dad. What he is doing right now is hurting his reputation as a coach.

I'm afraid the solution to this problem rests with Brian.
For all the reasons stated, neither Kirk nor Barta is going to fire Brian.
Brian needs to put on his big boy pants and realize he has damaged the program and his father by his poor performance. He also needs to accept that remaining on in the OC capacity will exacerbate the problem.
I suspect Kirk or some connection could find him a more suitable position at an FCS or MAC / WAC program.
Does he have the integrity to do the right thing?
The sooner Brian does this, the sooner he can reassemble any semblance of a coaching career going forward.

Its not just integrity for Brian, its career survival. KF won't have his job forever. Someone else is going to have to employ him eventually. He has a good overall resume and appears to have dreams as a HC someday. He needs to shine up his resume by being a position coach in the NFL or take a FCS head coaching job or the like. He needs to leave the nest for his own good, not just the good of Iowa and his Dad. What he is doing right now is hurting his reputation as a coach.
Do you think any P5 school or NFL team would hire Brian as even an OL coach right now? I don't know. Along with a pretty spotty on-field resume, you also have a pending lawsuit and a secret personnel file. No chance he'd even be considered for any P5 coordinator or FCS head coach opening right now, and I question how many P5 or NFL teams would consider him for OL coach.

It's all hindsight now, but for Brian's benefit Kirk needed to make the hard decisions last off-season and get him the hell out of that OC spot. I think Brian's career prospects would have been far better if he'd been slotted back to OL in January. He could have jumped from that to another OL position somewhere. This season seems to be torching his prospects to even make a move like that....

Do you think any P5 school or NFL team would hire Brian as even an OL coach right now? I don't know. Along with a pretty spotty on-field resume, you also have a pending lawsuit and a secret personnel file. No chance he'd even be considered for any P5 coordinator or FCS head coach opening right now, and I question how many P5 or NFL teams would consider him for OL coach.

It's all hindsight now, but for Brian's benefit Kirk needed to make the hard decisions last off-season and get him the hell out of that OC spot. I think Brian's career prospects would have been far better if he'd been slotted back to OL in January. He could have jumped from that to another OL position somewhere. This season seems to be torching his prospects to even make a move like that....
If Brian really wants to coach he should consider an out of the way HS and learn the finer points in life.

He would always get some position coaching job in the NFL or college. Maybe not a coordinator now but some teams or program would hire him. He has NFL experience with Bill Belichick for cripes sakes.

"It is the economy stupid!" It is the offense stupid! Simple, good to great defense, good special teams, Lickliter bad offense.

Like said above, Brian needs reassigned and a dynamic offensive coordinator brought in that Kirk stays a decent distance from to do his thing.

Keep an eye on if Bill O'Brien gets a gig for next season. He tried to hire Brian as his OL coach with the Texans. Brian will get another job in CFB or NFL if he leaves Iowa.

Keep an eye on if Bill O'Brien gets a gig for next season. He tried to hire Brian as his OL coach with the Texans. Brian will get another job in CFB or NFL if he leaves Iowa.
I think BF is well aware that he's got options. But he also wants to hang onto this one as long as possible because he probably thinks he has a chance of replacing KF eventually. Not to mention Iowa's OC is a pretty good gig as far as titles go. But he can't seriously think he can be considered for Iowa's HC with not only his previous 5 yrs of resume but now this disaster of a yr. The lack of self awareness if that's the case would be pure idiocy.

My hope is that they just play this season out BF steps down to take one of those other options he'll have out there and KF brings in a new younger mind from the outside world that can revamp the O. Maybe bring in some transfers in the short term to shore up the Oline.

We can't count on who we have now developing I don't think I just don't see it happening they just aren't that good. Granted all of this is a pipe dream. BF may very well not leave at all and the status quo may continue

Brian will have options outside of Iowa. There is a pending lawsuit and he has denied the allegations. It is a squishy claim both factually and legally. If there was a smoking gun it would have been outed by now. OL in the NFL is a lateral move that should be there for him. Moving around in the college ranks might be more difficult and likely anything available to him would be a step down. But, he just needs to get somewhere else and repair the resume. Coaches his age can coach forever if they are willing to move around and hustle.

Latest posts