Howe: Big Dance a Watershed Moment for Hawkeye Program

Pretty bold, Rob. But I think spot on.

I'm a little curious whether you wrote this before or after seeing our draw in the tourney. (or whether it makes a diff).

Pretty bold, Rob. But I think spot on.

I'm a little curious whether you wrote this before or after seeing our draw in the tourney. (or whether it makes a diff).

I wrote it before, yesterday afternoon, which is why I forgot to update it with who they were playing. I have done so now. ;)

Good post Rob! Completely agree. I can’t help but think that given the in-state rivals post season success over the period of 9 years does not help Fran’s cause either. They’ve even had a coaching change too.

Yep I think this article pretty much sums it up.

It's not that getting to the NCAA Tournament and losing to a better team in the first round or two is unacceptable (a fireable offense), but I think this program really needs to give the fans something. That "something" needs to be a Big Ten title (regular season preferably, but at least a Big Ten Tournament title, a Sweet 16 or better run, etc.).

I don't expect this program to ever be Duke or Kentucky. I'd be a fool to expect that.. But throw us a bone. Give us a thrill. Something to build some good will. Even if it's just a single season here or there. NIT appearances and 1st/2nd NCAA losses don't quite deliver that, even though the team is usually competitive in general. I feel this fan base is hungry for one of those great moments that make it all worthwhile.. It's been a 20 year drought since our last Sweet 16. Twice that since our last B10 regular season title.

Look at the football program. KF has his detractors but he gave us a Rose Bowl appearance (regardless of how the game itself went).. A 12-0 regular season and a shot at making the playoff.. An Orange Bowl win in January 2010. Big 10 titles (2002 & 2004).

Give us something. The fan base needs it.

Last edited:
As usual a measured analysis of the program. However, I don't think we are at a crossroads. We made the NCAA tourney. Although fans and the media have higher expectations, the only person who matters is Barta. My guess is 2019 tournament bid makes it unlikely that Barta fires McCaffery before Patrick finishes at Iowa.

I don't disagree with what you've said. However, I do suffer from Fran Fatigue, and perhaps more importantly, I am nostalgic about Mr. Davis more because as I get older, the more I value someone who represents us as well as he did. Wins and losses be damned...Mr. Davis was a tremendous ambassador for Hawkeye Basketball. I'm not saying Fran is a bad guy, but we are more often mired in controversy (Dolph, sideline antics, two-game suspensions for mf'ing officials, slamming the stool at MSU, etc.) than we are mentioned for the success of the program. And, yes, even I thought maybe it was time for a change in 1999. Unfortunately, the grass may not have been greener because nothing has much changed since his departure.
My question is whether or not it's fair to compare the Hawkeyes to another First Four team from 2014, Tennessee. Five years removed and Tennessee is a No. 2 seed. Is it inability to recruit similar athletes? Is Rick Barnes that much better of a coach/recruiter than FM? Is it that Iowa plays in a tougher conference, top-to-bottom? Is it a desire to play Kentucky instead of Michigan State that prevents Iowa from getting players that can take them to another level? Is it all of that and more?

I would say we have pretty much returned to a Tom Davis level of performance. That is something we have been wanting pretty much since the good doctor was shown the door. While many fans are still clamoring for a new coach who will "take us to the next level", that type of coach is hard to find. Look around the big ten. Who has replaced their coach in the last decade and seen a marked improvement in performance? There have been many changes and little improvement. I think Beilein is the last hire in conference that has significantly raised the bar for his team. Wisconsin, down. Illinois, down. Indiana , down. Ohio State, down. Be careful what you wish for Hawkeye fans, the next coach we hire has a better chance of being the next Lickliter than the next Beilein.

I would say we have pretty much returned to a Tom Davis level of performance. That is something we have been wanting pretty much since the good doctor was shown the door. While many fans are still clamoring for a new coach who will "take us to the next level", that type of coach is hard to find. Look around the big ten. Who has replaced their coach in the last decade and seen a marked improvement in performance? There have been many changes and little improvement. I think Beilein is the last hire in conference that has significantly raised the bar for his team. Wisconsin, down. Illinois, down. Indiana , down. Ohio State, down. Be careful what you wish for Hawkeye fans, the next coach we hire has a better chance of being the next Lickliter than the next Beilein.
Lol at those schools you mentioned. Holtmann has got OSU to the dance both years he’s been there after OSU missed it the prior two, including a 5 seed last year.

Gard was never going to be Bo, so that’s a given.

The other guys are in year two. Illinois looks to be on the upswing.

I’m not saying I totally disagree with the premise that the grass isn’t always greener... the teams you brought up are terrible examples.

There certainly the "be careful what you wish for" stance. And that's valid with what we saw from Alford and Lickliter. Fran has raised the bar above what they did and returned it to close to where Davis had it.

But there is no saying that the next coach won't raise the bar.

And to be clear, I don't believe Fran deserves to be fired. Not making four tournaments in six years.

I do see us at a crossroads, however, for reasons I mentioned in the column.

I don't disagree with what you've said. However, I do suffer from Fran Fatigue, and perhaps more importantly, I am nostalgic about Mr. Davis more because as I get older, the more I value someone who represents us as well as he did. Wins and losses be damned...Mr. Davis was a tremendous ambassador for Hawkeye Basketball. I'm not saying Fran is a bad guy, but we are more often mired in controversy (Dolph, sideline antics, two-game suspensions for mf'ing officials, slamming the stool at MSU, etc.) than we are mentioned for the success of the program. And, yes, even I thought maybe it was time for a change in 1999. Unfortunately, the grass may not have been greener because nothing has much changed since his departure.
My question is whether or not it's fair to compare the Hawkeyes to another First Four team from 2014, Tennessee. Five years removed and Tennessee is a No. 2 seed. Is it inability to recruit similar athletes? Is Rick Barnes that much better of a coach/recruiter than FM? Is it that Iowa plays in a tougher conference, top-to-bottom? Is it a desire to play Kentucky instead of Michigan State that prevents Iowa from getting players that can take them to another level? Is it all of that and more?
Rick Barnes is one of the best coaches in the business. But like Tony Bennett, he has underachieved in the postseason. Both coaches have put themselves in solid positions again this year to exorcize some postseason demons.

I wanted Fran gone after last season. For me making the dance this year has earned him next season. That’s it, nothing more.

I have some reason for optimism going forward and still plenty of concern.

Say at this time next year, we are looking at a 6 seed or better. Joe T and Pat look the part and Iowa has signed XF and another one of the 4* players they are in on. I’d have to think we’d have a pretty good outlook as a program moving forward.

If it goes the other way and Iowa doesn’t make the dance or just sneaks in again, Joe T, doesn’t live up to the hype, and we whiff on XF the outlook would be much different.

If this year has shown us anything it’s how quickly a year can change the outlook of a program.

I wanted Fran gone after last season. For me making the dance this year has earned him next season. That’s it, nothing more.

Say at this time next year, we are looking at a 6 seed or better. Joe T and Pat look the part and Iowa has signed XF and another one of the 4* players they are in on. I’d have to think we’d have a pretty good outlook as a program moving forward.

If it goes the other way and Iowa doesn’t make the dance or just sneaks in again, Joe T, doesn’t live up to the hype, and we whiff on XF the outlook would be much different.

If this year has shown us anything it’s how quickly a year can change the outlook of a program.

Its amazing how just one player can transform a basketball program. Our future would be bleak without Wieskamp....for example.

Fran really needs to hit on another stud besides just Foster. Next year is a huge recruiting year for Fran considering all that he's losing.

This is a very fair and reasonable post. I'm sick of Fran and would prefer we moved on, but I can get behind your thinking here. We will have a nice mix of veterans and young players and if we aren't progressing at all with that team and are missing on big recruits, then I will be all in on moving on.

Its amazing how just one player can transform a basketball program. Our future would be bleak without Wieskamp....for example.

Fran really needs to hit on another stud besides just Foster. Next year is a huge recruiting year for Fran considering all that he's losing.
The 2020 class is massive for the program. The guys at 247 say Iowa plans on taking at least two guards. Most would say guard play has held us back under Fran, can they land some better looking guards? XF as an instate guy is a must land (although I do think he’s slightly overrated). Cannot have a repeat of the 2015 class.

Iowa might be a crossroads in terms of where the success of the program is heading, but that crossroads begs the question, what is going to be done about it? The answer, regardless of which road Iowa takes, is nothing. Not until Fran decides to hang it up. He is Iowa's coach, and will be for the next 4-5 years. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, and I'm not being cynical, that is the reality. The extension and buyout last year secured that. You might as well be all in for Fran because Iowa is, and hope that the Hawks end up on the right road.

Reactions: trj
Watershed Event...[Figurative meaning] A critical turning point in time where everything changes that will never be the same as before.

Interesting article, however IMHO, win or lose, not much will change, it is the Iowa way. There is a long leash at Iowa for the AD, coaches, assistant coaches, which leads to things staying the way they are. You need to take risks, be creative, to get to another level. You might have to wait a while on that one.

Translation:
The status quo is mediocre.
A new coach could improve the status quo.
A new coach could be worse than the status quo.
Therefore, accept the status quo of mediocrity.

Well Frans contract status shows us the opposite of their being any possibility of it being a cross roads... I mean unless he were to start cheating and getting caught like that LSU coach, Barta isn't doing anything win lose or draw. And with Frans boys on board he isn't leaving on his own anytime soon either. So maybe it's a cross roads for fans to an extent. But not the program itself.

Bear with me as I enter the realm of make believe. Would the world be an interesting place if Fran were let go and Hoiberg were interested?... Rumor mill says Neb is all about wanting him. I doubt the feeling is mutual but stranger things have happened. Les Miles is at Kansas now..

Latest posts