How upset will you be when Iowa ends up 9-4 and ranked in the final AP?

Historically Iowa always looks a lot better in November. This young line is making improvements, and it's probably because they are in the right spots now and developing as a group (and not playing Ohio State).

All of the coaching helps, for sure, and KF knows about lines. I doubt his yelling made them much better in 6 days, though. But heck, if you read that a poster heard KF yelling, then that must be the cause of the improvement.

I disagree with your assertion that KF made magic happen in 6 days. I think the line has been, and still is, a work in progress. They still made some mistakes on Saturday, to be sure.

It can if you've got the lineman in the wrong positions.

I've been to 2 games in person (SDSU and NW) and my view is from the north end zone. You get a good look at the line when they are driving the ball to the south end zone and I noticed a huge difference between those 2 games. Yeah it was the first game to #8, so some of that could have been natural improvements as the season went on but the line play against the FCS opponent was horrible, I left wondering how in the hell they were going to guard a B10 defense. I find it hard to believe SDSU is that much better than Northwestern and the line looked way different and it did against Purdue as well.

Also, if it takes until November to figure it out then that's part of the problem.

We never got receivers back. Iowa was short at WR last week with Brecht gone. Johnson's been gone all year and I don't expect him back, at least this year if not beyond.
Huh? Getting Ragaini back from injury has been huge. Vines appears to be legit. Neither was available the first part of the season. Brecht has been in an out. My point is that we are not starting and playing walk-ons the last couple games.

In order to finish at 9-4 (includes bowl win) we would definitely be showing significant improvement with the O (OL in my opinion) and would get my vote for a good year and lots of momentum going forward. I would not predict 9-4 however. We could also go 8-4 in the BIG and possibly not have beaten any team with a BIG record over .500............so we should still pound our chests if that were to happen?

Sprinkle me guarded optimism............let's see how we look this week vs U of W.

^ Correction - That's 6-3 in the BIG ................... doesn't change outside the BIG either unless you want to count FCS, South Dakota State, who currently has a winning record.

It can if you've got the lineman in the wrong positions.

I've been to 2 games in person (SDSU and NW) and my view is from the north end zone. You get a good look at the line when they are driving the ball to the south end zone and I noticed a huge difference between those 2 games. Yeah it was the first game to #8, so some of that could have been natural improvements as the season went on but the line play against the FCS opponent was horrible, I left wondering how in the hell they were going to guard a B10 defense. I find it hard to believe SDSU is that much better than Northwestern and the line looked way different and it did against Purdue as well.

Also, if it takes until November to figure it out then that's part of the problem.
I agree that it shouldn't take until November, and have always thought that. That's definitely a long term issue.

He didn't sprinkle fairy dust, but the last 2 weeks does feel like he was more hands on. Obviously, I have no evidence of this, other than the @CP87 post from 2 or 3 weeks ago.

And again, that was an anecdote. 30 seconds of one practice. But it was different. The OL typically practices right next to the trail, so those are the guys I hear the most. I have heard BF leading drills when he was OL coach. I heard Polasek leading drills when we has the OL coach (I REALLY heard him, that guy can yell). But I can't recall hearing the head coach leading the OL drills.

Probably nothing, he probably jumps in there and does it all the time. Just saying what I heard that one day.

Yeah, but those first few weeks...no Johnson, no Ragaini, no Vines, no Brecht. That was tough.
Great point. I think that it was a really bad combo of a young line with people possibly playing in the wrong spots, having a severely depleted WR group, and a very limited QB.

Are we getting Johnson back next year? He was our best receiver. My unbridled "hawktimism" is showing, and I think the team can be pretty good next year. Maybe even kinda decent this year (still a work in progress).

If Iowa somehow wins out and finishes 9-4 there is a good chance they are in the final poll of the season. Iowa has only won 9 or more games 16 times in school history. It would historically be one of the top 20 best seasons ever in school history.

There isn't going to be any change if that happens and I know a lot of people are more concerned with that vs what actually happens on the field.

I would be fairly happy if this happens fwiw but still think changes are needed.... I just don't know if they'll be justified in the scenario I lay out.
What would your position be if Iowa went 1-2 from here, to finish 4-5 in B10?

What would your position be if Iowa went 1-2 from here, to finish 4-5 in B10?
I think they need to win 8 games for me to anywhere in the neighborhood of satisfied with this season. It’d be a slightly above avarage Iowa season with a chance to win 9 which has only been done 16 times in a 125 season.

I dont even entertain 9 wins. IFFF Hawks get to 8-3, given the BIG Fourteen’s high level of bowl contracts means they play a pretty good team that is much better than any of the NwU, Purdue, Wisc, Minny, Neb stretch. Great they beat those “peer” / avg teams but I just don’t see them stacking up against that level of a team.

If that continues for 4 more games I don't need Brian tarred and feathered.

I drove from South Carolina to Champaign, Illinois and watched that chucklefuck piss an easily winnable game down his leg. I shall bring the bucket of tar. Someone else please bring the feathers.

I dont even entertain 9 wins. IFFF Hawks get to 8-3, given the BIG Fourteen’s high level of bowl contracts means they play a pretty good team that is much better than any of the NwU, Purdue, Wisc, Minny, Neb stretch. Great they beat those “peer” / avg teams but I just don’t see them stacking up against that level of a team.

The caliber of teams in the SEC after the best handful drops really quickly and they'll be pissed they're in such a shit game so we will have a puncher's chance against the SEC. The ACC blows ass. The Big 8 blows ass. The Pac 10 behind the top few blows ass. We'll be just fine in a bowl game and 15 practices will make this offense look a lot better.

The caliber of teams in the SEC after the best handful drops really quickly and they'll be pissed they're in such a shit game so we will have a puncher's chance against the SEC. The ACC blows ass. The Big 8 blows ass. The Pac 10 behind the top few blows ass. We'll be just fine in a bowl game and 15 practices will make this offense look a lot better.

Yep. Just sign me up for an ACC opponent...Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse or whoever and I am good.

I drove from South Carolina to Champaign, Illinois and watched that chucklefuck piss an easily winnable game down his leg. I shall bring the bucket of tar. Someone else please bring the feathers.
You didn't say hi... Where were you sitting?

If Iowa somehow wins out and finishes 9-4 there is a good chance they are in the final poll of the season. Iowa has only won 9 or more games 16 times in school history. It would historically be one of the top 20 best seasons ever in school history.

There isn't going to be any change if that happens and I know a lot of people are more concerned with that vs what actually happens on the field.

I would be fairly happy if this happens fwiw but still think changes are needed.... I just don't know if they'll be justified in the scenario I lay out.
I would be happy all things considered..it would mean the team has made improvement.
I think Kirk privately can do what is right with the offensive coordinator position if he listens to his left brain.

8 wins is still a good season at Iowa. It always will be. I am just under the opinion that Iowa fans want a change at OC more than they want to win.... and that's weird to me.

Out of the 65 P5 programs in the country, 25 instances of family members on the same coaching staff. It's nepotism regardless, but Iowa isn't unique by any means.
I would be pumped. I would hope that Illinois also wins out so we avoid the blood bath in Indianapolis.

For me, I want change at OC and the wins. Any sane person and everyone on this board knows, they are winning due to defense and special teams, In spite of the most embarrassing offense, since Johnathan Winters' "NFL football follies"

Not at all upset! It would be a solid season and a great way to end 2022.

Latest posts