How upset will you be when Iowa ends up 9-4 and ranked in the final AP?

InGoodCo

If Iowa somehow wins out and finishes 9-4 there is a good chance they are in the final poll of the season. Iowa has only won 9 or more games 16 times in school history. It would historically be one of the top 20 best seasons ever in school history.

There isn't going to be any change if that happens and I know a lot of people are more concerned with that vs what actually happens on the field.

I would be fairly happy if this happens fwiw but still think changes are needed.... I just don't know if they'll be justified in the scenario I lay out.

Last edited:
You mean being an embarrassment nationally for the first 7 weeks of the season doesn't justify change?
So pretty pissed off. Got it

I don't disagree with you, but again, in terms of historically good seasons for Iowa, this one would end up being there and a top 25 finish considering how this season started out would be something. I'm not convinced that Iowa can do it, just a thought I had.

I personally would prefer to end up 9-4 even if it meant no changes - I just want to win and that's the bottom line for me personally and if Iowa is going 9-4 and finishing in the top 25, that's always going to justify and be considered a success for me at this school.

again, just me.

I'd be thrilled in one sense.
At the moment, we have 3 games left. Winning out is possible. Losing out is possible. Winning out would be tough in any year. Vs. WI? At MN? Rarely a given these days. Nebraska? Who the hell knows, but history is on our side at least.

It will likely be somewhere in between. I would rather win out, than lose out. I'd rather win 2 of 3 than 1 of 3.
Any day. Any time. Under any circumstance.

Also HOW we win, if we win. If we win out 6-4, 7-6, 10-7 it won't feel very satisfying. Not sure we'd be ranked with that, even. I would, though, think we had the greatest and most complete defense and punter ever. But I won't be very satisfied.

So, best case scenario. We win out. And wind up ranked. The idea of 'trusting the process'? I get it. But if in this era, you can't get 8 games into the season for that process to kick in, it's time for a new process. I would be thrilled.

And still concerned.

8 wins is still a good season at Iowa. It always will be. I am just under the opinion that Iowa fans want a change at OC more than they want to win.... and that's weird to me.

Out of the 65 P5 programs in the country, 25 instances of family members on the same coaching staff. It's nepotism regardless, but Iowa isn't unique by any means.

So pretty pissed off. Got it

I don't disagree with you, but again, in terms of historically good seasons for Iowa, this one would end up being there and a top 25 finish considering how this season started out would be something. I'm not convinced that Iowa can do it, just a thought I had.

I personally would prefer to end up 9-4 even if it meant no changes - I just want to win and that's the bottom line for me personally and if Iowa is going 9-4 and finishing in the top 25, that's always going to justify and be considered a success for me at this school.

again, just me.

But I won't be pissed off at the record, hell I'd LOVE to see Iowa finish 9-4 or how about the upset of the century and finish 10-4? Win out, Big Ten Champs, and a bowl win? Yeah, sign me up for that! *then I woke up*

I'll be upset no matter what record we end up with and KF keeps Brian around for next year as a OC. I believe the improvements we have seen is because dad got more involved with the offense and the offensive line.

But I won't be pissed off at the record, hell I'd LOVE to see Iowa finish 9-4 or how about the upset of the century and finish 10-4? Win out, Big Ten Champs, and a bowl win? Yeah, sign me up for that! *then I woke up*

I'll be upset no matter what record we end up with and KF keeps Brian around for next year as a OC. I believe the improvements we have seen is because dad got more involved with the offense and the offensive line.
Thanks for sharing your beliefs.

Do you think it's possible that this line, with four underclassmen, is finally getting their shit together? No, the narrative must be about BF and Petras...

I'm no BF fan, but what do you think about the play calling in the game on Saturday? I thought it was excellent. They finally exploited Purdue's attacking style of defense and it was great to see. You have to execute to do it, though... and they did.

Where is the cut off on the amount of wins we need in order for there to be changes?

I'm not convinced we will see any changes no matter what the win/loss record is.

That is kind of where I'm at. Whether Iowa had only won 2 games, or whether it ends up with 9 wins, I kind of think they run it back either way. And if that is the case, I would rather have 9 than 2.

I am with the OP in that I want as many wins as possible, but I still think RADICAL changes need to be made to the offense. We have seen 2 really nice game plans and performances the last couple weeks. But we also have...

Too many offensive no-shows in the last 6 years.

A consistent failure to creatively problem-solve to put our players in the best positions.

A backwards trend in offensive-efficiency ratings since he has taken over.

A philosophy that is hampering our ability to get elite, skill-position talent.

With all of these things combined, we are not optimizing what is perhaps the best stretch of defensive and special teams performance in school history. No guarantee a radical change improves things (there are lots of bad offenses out there that look completely different from Iowa's bad offense), but we are kind of at the point where it cannot get a whole lot worse. I think the cost-benefit analysis leans heavily in favor of trying something different.

Do you think it's possible that this line, with four underclassmen, is finally getting their shit together? No, the narrative must be about BF and Petras...

I think we'll know more about this in the next two games than we have the last two.

You mean being an embarrassment nationally for the first 7 weeks of the season doesn't justify change?
If they win out? NO. I realize that my comment will draw the ire of the angry internet warriors, but shit, I was really impressed on Saturday. I guess it will be interesting to look at the progression (or lack thereof) in the coming weeks, but I'm impressed.

What if, next year, they still have an excellent defense, a really solid O line, and a good stable of running backs? What if we have a deeper receiver group?

Recruiting is going pretty well. I think you could still make the very reasonable argument that we need a new OC, but it isn't as super simple as the HN ninja warriors of pessimism will have you believe.

I think we'll know more about this in the next two games than we have the last two.
Probably. Having said that, I think Purdue has beaten Iowa 4 of the last 5 times. I can't think of a more complete Iowa game in recent memory. Purdue may be flaky but they have some talent.

Let me ask this... what is more important/carries more weight to the program.

The heat they've taken on Offense the first 7 weeks of the season for the offense or going 9-4 and being ranked in the final poll?

Let me ask this... what is more important/carries more weight to the program.

The heat they've taken on Offense the first 7 weeks of the season for the offense or going 9-4 and being ranked in the final poll?

I would say it depends.

As @dagdaj said above, if they win the remaining games completely on the back of the defense, and the O reverts to early-season levels, then the criticism from the first 7 weeks is immensely important. We will know that we squandered a season with an historically good Iowa defense because of offensive incompetence. We also know that the negative-recruiting will be uber-effective in our head-to-heads with rival schools, and there is a great chance that the transfer portal kicks us in the nuts.

But if we continue to move the ball and score points, and the offense looks like your standard Iowa, middle-of-the-road offense...then the 9-4 is more important.

Thanks for sharing your beliefs.

I'm no BF fan, but what do you think about the play calling in the game on Saturday? I thought it was excellent. They finally exploited Purdue's attacking style of defense and it was great to see. You have to execute to do it, though... and they did.

Cut Petras out of this, he shared zero blame for the position he was put in the first 7 games of the season. IMO this all rests on BF and KF's shoulders, they are the coaches and are responsible. If I was Petras parents I'd be livid at the way some Hawkeye "fans" are treating Petras, he's out there busting his ass for us. Besides, Petras looked damn good in that game and he made some very nice throws into the wind.

Play calling was decent, I was scratching my head on the 3 straight passing plays (and 3 and out) after they just scored on a 70+ yard touchdown run and I wasn't thrilled about having to settle for a field goal on first and goal from the 1. Other then that the play calling was ok, I'm not sure if the play calling has changed much or the plays that he is calling are being executed better because the line is doing their job.

But I'm always going to go back to where in the hell was this the first 7 games of the season? Why did it take an absolute train wreck at Ohio State for Dad to get involved and fix that line?

Cut Petras out of this, he shared zero blame for the position he was put in the first 7 games of the season. IMO this all rests on BF and KF's shoulders, they are the coaches and are responsible. If I was Petras parents I'd be livid at the way some Hawkeye "fans" are treating Petras, he's out there busting his ass for us. Besides, Petras looked damn good in that game and he made some very nice throws into the wind.

Play calling was decent, I was scratching my head on the 3 straight passing plays (and 3 and out) after they just scored on a 70+ yard touchdown run and I wasn't thrilled about having to settle for a field goal on first and goal from the 1. Other then that the play calling was ok, I'm not sure if the play calling has changed much or the plays that he is calling are being executed better because the line is doing their job.

But I'm always going to go back to where in the hell was this the first 7 games of the season? Why did it take an absolute train wreck at Ohio State for Dad to get involved and fix that line?
Oh I agree Petras should be left out, but usually posters blame both BF and Petras for virtually everything. Glad you're not also blaming Petras. I certainly am not. He played quite well on Saturday, to be honest.

How do you know "dad" cured everything in the past few weeks, and what their process has been? I'm actually curious. You think dad just fixed the line after the OSU game? The line still makes mistakes but is improving with four underclassmen. They aren't playing against Michigan or OSU currently, however. That also helps a bit.

Hope to see you at the game Saturday. I'm traveling across the country to attend. Forever an optimist, I guess... I'd rather see things my way than yours.

Oh I agree Petras should be left out, but usually posters blame both BF and Petras for virtually everything. Glad you're not also blaming Petras. I certainly am not. He played quite well on Saturday, to be honest.

How do you know "dad" cured everything in the past few weeks, and what their process has been? I'm actually curious. You think dad just fixed the line after the OSU game? The line still makes mistakes but is improving with four underclassmen. They aren't playing against Michigan or OSU currently, however. That also helps a bit.

Hope to see you at the game Saturday. I'm traveling across the country to attend. Forever an optimist, I guess... I'd rather see things my way than yours.

One of the regulars on here, I forget which one, went by the practices after the OSU game and heard KF barking at the line and being more involved with them. I trust it because look at the huge improvement they made in that name and against Purdue.

Where is the cut off on the amount of wins we need in order for there to be changes?

I'm not convinced we will see any changes no matter what the win/loss record is.

You can ask Nebraska that question. They had 9-10 wins guys which apparently was never enough. They been doing the revolving coaching changes for the past 20 years. We don't want that, either.

Latest posts