How long do you give a coach??

Agreed. I expected to miss the dance last year, but missing this year will be a disappointment. Missing next year, would be a major, major disappointment. If it's 3 straight NIT's or worse heading into year 10, then yeah, I'll be pulling my support card.

Of course, this year and next may end up turning out just fine and we'll all be happy. So I'm not a huge fan of this kind of talk right NOW when I'm basically thinking "let's see where we are in 2019". But, I'm starting to wonder a bit.

I'm in the same boat... you almost have to be at this point and with this start.

Agree - I am a HUGE Fran supporter, but if we miss the dance this season my feelings are gonna change quickly. I won't call for his head, but it will be next season better be a dance and a couple of wins kind of mind set.

I would have never guessed haha!

I think his seat will be warm. If we miss the tourney again next year, I think the seat might be too hot to withstand.
This is where I'm at. See how this year plays out, if we don't make the dance the next 2 seasons then we need to move on. 10 years, 2 dances and a play in game. He gets longer because he had to bring the program back from the dead. But I don't think anyone would disagree that at the end of next season we need to see significant progress or it's time to move on.

We have a football coach under zero pressure because he's older than the furniture.

We have a basketball coach under zero pressure because his kids are good at basketball.

We have a wrestling coach under zero pressure because....reasons?

Wow, Iowa sports sure is fun right now!

well yeah, I'm an Iowa fan, you should try that out.

I'm an Iowa fan too but that doesn't mean I have to be a huge supporter of a coach who has 2 Tournament appearances and a play in game appearance in 8 years, especially with how this year has started.

I'm an Iowa fan too but that doesn't mean I have to be a huge supporter of a coach who has 2 Tournament appearances and a play in game appearance in 8 years, especially with how this year has started.

Until this season, that's been more then satisfactory considering the set of circumstances he had. Last year I considered a rebuild or shuffle year and they missed the dance by a game. I absolutely have NO defense of what we are watching here. If that's how it's gonna be I am gonna be off the Fran band wagon pretty quickly.

I like FM's style and the team he's built. (other than no PG) but I gotta admit my patience is growing thin.

Like I said in another thread, in 2 years bohannon, cook and moss are all seniors...nunge and Garza are juniors...wieskamp is a sophomore...Patrick is a freshman. If they don't do anything that year Fran would probably have to go.

What D-1 coach gets 10 years to turn a basketball program around?

What D-1 coach gets 10 years to turn a basketball program around?

He was looking at a complete rebuild after the wasteland of Lickliter. 3 NCAA tournaments in the past 4 years...last year they were the 1st team out of the tournament after losing 4 of 5 starters from the year before.

He was looking at a complete rebuild after the wasteland of Lickliter. 3 NCAA tournaments in the past 4 years...last year they were the 1st team out of the tournament after losing 4 of 5 starters from the year before.
May as well just keep him for life if getting an NCAA tourney berth here and there is the standard.

May as well just keep him for life if getting an NCAA tourney berth here and there is the standard.

hasn't that always been standard? When has Iowa's "standard" been above it? I'd argue that we've been no where near even the "standard" routinely for the last 2 decades and just recently have we even been in the neighborhood.

Until this season, that's been more then satisfactory considering the set of circumstances he had. Last year I considered a rebuild or shuffle year and they missed the dance by a game. I absolutely have NO defense of what we are watching here. If that's how it's gonna be I am gonna be off the Fran band wagon pretty quickly.

We're a top 25 program of all time and he has 2 Tournament appearances in 7 years and that is more than satisfactory? I strongly disagree with that.

Latest posts