How is Gesell #10?

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Stormin! I had just always thought the whole jersey and number thing went hand in hand didn't know you could do just one.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks Stormin! I had just always thought the whole jersey and number thing went hand in hand didn't know you could do just one.

You are welcome. I, also, did not know that was the case. Good to know.
(Nice observation, by the way, as well. I didn't even pick up on it.)

Not related but I loved when the Cyclones had an Iowa kid wear #40. Definitely a classy thing outta Ames. When I used to coach varsity basketball I had a hardworking, "glue" kid wear #40 and I talked to him about Chris Street.
CMS40. Go Hawks!

so no one can ever play basketball for Iowa with the last name Armstrong? If you are not going to retire the number why retire the jersy? Not trying to start an argument just trying to understand the pourpouse.

There's only a hand full of numbers you can wear in college basketball (don't both digits have to be under 5) so I could see why retiring numbers could be problematic.

There's only a hand full of numbers you can wear in college basketball (don't both digits have to be under 5) so I could see why retiring numbers could be problematic.

Legal numbers are: 00, 0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55. You can't have 0 and 00 on the same roster, though.

To answer the question on the #10.

The last person to wear it was Kevin Smith in '93.
BJ's jersey was retired in '92.

No one has worn it since. It's been almost two decades since anyone has adorned the #10.

To answer the question on the #10.

The last person to wear it was Kevin Smith in '93.
BJ's jersey was retired in '92.

No one has worn it since. It's been almost two decades since anyone has adorned the #10.

Does retiring the jersey and not the number mean retiring the number with a particular style of jersey? Otherwise, I don't see the point. I mean, nothing is really retired, is it?

Latest posts