How is Gesell #10?

Does retiring the jersey and not the number mean retiring the number with a particular style of jersey? Otherwise, I don't see the point. I mean, nothing is really retired, is it?

Basically his jersey is honored and is noted as retired, but his number can still be worn.

Has anyone worn any of the other "retired jersey" numbers, or is BJ the only one to get disrespected like that? :)

They don't reuse the jerseys season to season I wouldn't think. Isn't every jersey technically "retired" at that point.

Not related but I loved when the Cyclones had an Iowa kid wear #40. Definitely a classy thing outta Ames. When I used to coach varsity basketball I had a hardworking, "glue" kid wear #40 and I talked to him about Chris Street.
CMS40. Go Hawks!

Hoiberg wore #40 in '94. Another reason why I do like and respect Hoiberg.

There's only a hand full of numbers you can wear in college basketball (don't both digits have to be under 5) so I could see why retiring numbers could be problematic.

Yes, double digit numbers can't have digits higher than 5. That's to prevent confusion when making foul calls, etc. You don't want your refs having to give three hand signals (5/1-4 for #64).

There's only a hand full of numbers you can wear in college basketball (don't both digits have to be under 5) so I could see why retiring numbers could be problematic.

Yeah, especially for a program with the quantity of superstars Iowa has had.

To answer the question on the #10.

The last person to wear it was Kevin Smith in '93.
BJ's jersey was retired in '92.

No one has worn it since. It's been almost two decades since anyone has adorned the #10.

Hopefully the Gesell/Ingram/Clemmons backcourt is better than the Smith/Mon'ter Glasper/Kevin Skillett trio of the early 90's.

Latest posts