How Iowa lost Melvin Gordon

PJHawk

You could assume parental pressure from his dad was going to win out eventually but the comment by his HS coach says a lot.

Gordon drew interest from most northern schools and verbally committed to Iowa just before his senior year at Bradford. Kennedy attributes the decision to Gordon's desire to complete the recruiting process so he could focus on football. But the process wasn't over. "The big factor was, when he committed to Iowa, Iowa stopped recruiting him," Kennedy said, "and Wisconsin put it into overdrive."
....................Gordon also took several trips to Iowa that fall. His mother, Carmen, liked Iowa's program and the family atmosphere coach Kirk Ferentz preached. Her husband was partial to Wisconsin after watching Dayne's career and the program's ability to produce NFL running backs. "We had several arguments," Carmen Gordon said. "I wanted Melvin to get out of the state and get the experience of being away from home. My husband always wanted him to be a Badger.

Wisconsin Badgers running back Melvin Gordon provides instant impact - ESPN

You could assume parental pressure from his dad was going to win out eventually but the comment by his HS coach says a lot.

Gordon drew interest from most northern schools and verbally committed to Iowa just before his senior year at Bradford. Kennedy attributes the decision to Gordon's desire to complete the recruiting process so he could focus on football. But the process wasn't over. "The big factor was, when he committed to Iowa, Iowa stopped recruiting him," Kennedy said, "and Wisconsin put it into overdrive."
....................Gordon also took several trips to Iowa that fall. His mother, Carmen, liked Iowa's program and the family atmosphere coach Kirk Ferentz preached. Her husband was partial to Wisconsin after watching Dayne's career and the program's ability to produce NFL running backs. "We had several arguments," Carmen Gordon said. "I wanted Melvin to get out of the state and get the experience of being away from home. My husband always wanted him to be a Badger.

Wisconsin Badgers running back Melvin Gordon provides instant impact - ESPN
Wasn't he at the infamous 2010 Wisky-Iowa game visiting Iowa and was in the locker room to witness some fighting between players?

His bad decision unexpectedly worked out well for Iowa in the end. His departure cleared the way for one of the nation's best rushers to be Iowa's feature back.

His bad decision unexpectedly worked out well for Iowa in the end. His departure cleared the way for one of the nation's best rushers to be Iowa's feature back.

You are kidding right? I'd love to have Melvin on this team. The big play back that we don't have.

This pains me to type, but I'm a servant to truth:

Melvin Gordon > Mark Weisman

Easily.

You are kidding right? I'd love to have Melvin on this team. The big play back that we don't have.

Not to get all Joel Osteen up in here, but:

[video=youtube;wSldse7XAk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSldse7XAk0[/video]

Mark Weisman would smash him like a hammer smashing a nail. I never really followed the guy since he left and became irrelevant to me. What I would have been worried about would have been that Weisman would not have got a shot at rb if this other guy had stayed. He might be good as a backup to Weisman kind of a 1 2 punch. But I've never seen him play so I don't know. Maybe he could transfer back and it could be the 1 2 with Daniels.

This pains me to type, but I'm a servant to truth:

Melvin Gordon > Mark Weisman

Easily.

+1. Gordon is a beast. Leads the nation in rushing. Weisman comes in tied for #18.

Throw in the fact that Gordon splits significant time with White who sits at #25 on the list and that draws any debate to a pretty quick conclusion.

+1. Gordon is a beast. Leads the nation in rushing. Weisman comes in tied for #18.

Throw in the fact that Gordon splits significant time with White who sits at #25 on the list and that draws any debate to a pretty quick conclusion.

You serious, clark? Weisman has played better competition. Second, Weisman has been benched due to big leads we have had. Third, Weisman is running with an idiot calling the offensive plays and that has siphoned about 300 yards from him already this year.

You serious, clark? Weisman has played better competition. Second, Weisman has been benched due to big leads we have had. Third, Weisman is running with an idiot calling the offensive plays and that has siphoned about 300 yards from him already this year.

Obviously not serious or just dumb...Gordon has gone for 140+ yds every game and has yet to get more than 16 carries in a game. 53 carries, 624 yds, 11.8 ypc, 7 tds.

Weisman - 95 carries, 468 yds, 4.9 ypc, 3 tds.

weisman as a fullback in front of Gordon would be a great pair. But Gordon is better and at 203 lbs he can run between tackles and be a big play threat. Unlike Weisman they won't run him down from behind. He doesn't have the power of Weisman but if Weisman was in front as a blocker he wouldn't need it.

Foval that's a pretty solid post comparing the numbers - MG's ypc is just effin sick.

OK4P truth be known and what that article doesn't mention is that it's entirely possible that one Mr. KOK just might have tipped his hand about the NFL opportunities that awaited him during the recruiting process of young Mr. Gordon.

OK4P is trolling and I'm convinced Nick is my Grandmother who has never watched a game of football. Everyone knows Gordon is twice the RB Weisman is.

Completely different rbs. Melvin is the better overall Rb and it'd be great to have him. Its also great to have MW, the kid is a grinder and a workhorse.

Like Hayden said...Dance with the Mossad that brung ya

With such few carries I'm not convinced that he is durable enough. Weisman has proven that he can handle 30 or more carries per game. 15 carries per game is far too few for an Iowa running back. This is how Iowa leads the Big 10, and is number 5 nationally in time of possession. Weisman is simply a better fit in the Iowa system than a scat back.