How does Iowa get Baer a Scholarship?

Coaches are allowed to pay for their kids to go to school and free up the scholly if they want to.

Doug McDermott actually gave up his scholly for Grant Gibbs a few years ago because his dad could pay his way at Creighton.

But generally this isn't done because the kids earn the scholarships they have. Would you want to lose yours just because your dad is the coach?

Me neither.

Coaches are allowed to pay for their kids to go to school and free up the scholly if they want to.

Doug McDermott actually gave up his scholly for Grant Gibbs a few years ago because his dad could pay his way at Creighton.

But generally this isn't done because the kids earn the scholarships they have. Would you want to lose yours just because your dad is the coach?

Me neither.

Exactly. I was going to mention the McDermott situation from a few years back. I remember his Dad was asked about that decision on a radio interview I was listening to and he said that when Doug mentioned it to him he told him "Sure if you want to do that I'm okay with it, but please understand that you will be paying me back in the future!" (understanding he's going to be making millions).

Can we set up a Go Fund Me account or something? I don't really know how they work but I'll chip in some money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fran's son's will be able to attend the U of I for free because of there Dad being a University employee correct?

Haha that's cute.....

(Not trying to sound like a jerk, but University employees don't even get to take classes themselves at low/no cost. Many a good employee has left- for schools where tuition is free/reduced for children- because their children wouldn't benefit from their service.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Fran's son's will be able to attend the U of I for free because of there Dad being a University employee correct? Which means that they can be walk on's without having to pay tuition or using up valuable scholarships. Again I don't know the rules or details in this situation. Any help with info would be appreciated.

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

I think this is a possibility, but his son is a '17, so that means Baer would have to pay his way next season, too. Baer was asked (after either MSU or PU games) about the scholarship and he essentially said he isn't leaving regardless of whether he gets a scholarship or not. Perhaps Baers parents are willing to pay 5 seasons out of pocket? If so, that gives us, essentially, a 14th scholarship player. And, I would say, the Baer family needs a basketball office or weight room named after them for their "contributions" to the Iowa basketball program. ;)

Exactly. I was going to mention the McDermott situation from a few years back. I remember his Dad was asked about that decision on a radio interview I was listening to and he said that when Doug mentioned it to him he told him "Sure if you want to do that I'm okay with it, but please understand that you will be paying me back in the future!" (understanding he's going to be making millions).

I gave you a thumbs up just to get you off of "666"

Why? Uthoff, Clemmons, Gessel, and Woody are gone after this season. That's 108.5 minutes/game that opens up. I think all the young guys accept that and why Moss took a RS.

Odds are at least 1 will transfer. No point speculating who but that's just the way it works

Odds are at least 1 will transfer. No point speculating who but that's just the way it works

It certainly isn't out of the question that 1 xfers after this season. But I can see them all staying, also. Williams will be our pg in '16. He's staying. Moss will backup Jok next season and has to believe he's a 3 yr starter. He's staying. Hutton will get plenty of minutes at the 2/3/4 spots, which is probably why he's RS so he can learn all 3 spots. Hutton stays. Ellingson and Fleming are where I see one might xfer, but Fleming can also play pg and the 3, so I believe he stays as he'll get minutes at all 3 spots. Wagner, Uhl, Jok and Baer are starters next season.

Jones (when ready) becomes first off bench at 3 and 4 and maybe some 5 if there is foul trouble. Jones is 6'

Last edited:
To answer your question, at some private colleges I believe it works the way you're thinking. If you are an employee of Grinnell College, for example, your child can attend Grinnell for free or can attend one of the other private Iowa Colleges (Simpson, Central, etc.) for a reduced rate if I'm not mistaken. Sorry, I know this doesn't really add to the topic, but does answer this question.

Are walk-ons subject to the same transfer rules? Meaning if no one transferred and a scholarship didn't open up for Bear, could another school come in and offer a full ride and he could play right away or would he have to sit out a year?

I'm sure he is committed to be a Hawk, and that's a good thing for Iowa, but money talks and if say a Wisconsin or UNI approached him with a full ride and a chance to play without sitting out, would he pass that up?

Almost certain he'd have to sit out just like anyone else but graduate transfers. If he filed with the Clearinghouse he has five years to play four at the NCAA level, doesn't matter if you are on scholarship or not. Mark Weisman for instance, went to Air Force as a freshman (and never even suited up for football there), but still had to sit out a redshirt year at Iowa as a walk on before playing his last three years.

Back in the 1996-97 season, Brandon Welsch was a walk on for Iowa and played a few meaningful minutes in games early in the season before leaving the team. He ended up at Robert Morris a couple years later, but I can't remember if he transferred down a level to play a year or transferred outright and had to sit out.

It certainly isn't out of the question that 1 xfers after this season. But I can see them all staying, also. Williams will be our pg in '16. He's staying. Moss will backup Jok next season and has to believe he's a 3 yr starter. He's staying. Hutton will get plenty of minutes at the 2/3/4 spots, which is probably why he's RS so he can learn all 3 spots. Hutton stays. Ellingson and Fleming are where I see one might xfer, but Fleming can also play pg and the 3, so I believe he stays as he'll get minutes at all 3 spots. Wagner, Uhl, Jok and Baer are starters next season.

Jones (when ready) becomes first off bench at 3 and 4 and maybe some 5 if there is foul trouble. Jones is 6'

Where are you getting this from?

Where are you getting this from?

I read quotes from both Fleming and Fran during Flemings recruitment that stated Fleming could play pg at Iowa. Also, in the few games he's played in this season, he ran the point. Granted it was mop up duty, but it shows he's learning the position and could play minutes as a pg in the future. I am not saying he will be the starting pg, but he can play backup minutes at the position.

I read quotes from both Fleming and Fran during Flemings recruitment that stated Fleming could play pg at Iowa. Also, in the few games he's played in this season, he ran the point. Granted it was mop up duty, but it shows he's learning the position and could play minutes as a pg in the future. I am not saying he will be the starting pg, but he can play backup minutes at the position.

That would be ideal if it would allow Bohannon to redshirt. He's a guy who might really benefit from a 5th year.

From what I've seen of him this year the idea of him running the point scares me. I'm guessing it will be Williams and Bohannon only playing PG next year

To answer your question, at some private colleges I believe it works the way you're thinking. If you are an employee of Grinnell College, for example, your child can attend Grinnell for free or can attend one of the other private Iowa Colleges (Simpson, Central, etc.) for a reduced rate if I'm not mistaken. Sorry, I know this doesn't really add to the topic, but does answer this question.

It's my understanding that in the IIAC, the children of any teaching staff are admitted tuition free into the same college where their parent(s) teach.

I think you are confusing many on message boards theorizing that Fleming could play PG. I don't think there is any way he could play PG at this level, heck he didn't play PG last year.

Disclaimer: if Fran did say it, he has quickly re thought it as Williams is the PG on the team behind MG & AC.

I think you are confusing many on message boards theorizing that Fleming could play PG. I don't think there is any way he could play PG at this level, heck he didn't play PG last year.

Disclaimer: if Fran did say it, he has quickly re thought it as Williams is the PG on the team behind MG & AC.

I read quotes from both Fleming and Fran during his recruitment stating he could play pg. Whether he plays any pg or not remains to be seen. If you watched him this season, he played several positions in mop up duty, including the point. Fran made it through 2 seasons with RDM as our primary or secondary pg, so, as a bridge to allow Bohannon to RS if that is necessary, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. If Bohannon doesn't need a RS, then it's a moot point.

Edit: http://247sports.com/Bolt/Iowa-Basketballs-Andrew-Fleming-Driven-By-Competition-Focus-38347363

Last edited:

Latest posts