How does Iowa get Baer a Scholarship?

I read quotes from both Fleming and Fran during his recruitment stating he could play pg. Whether he plays any pg or not remains to be seen. If you watched him this season, he played several positions in mop up duty, including the point. Fran made it through 2 seasons with RDM as our primary or secondary pg, so, as a bridge to allow Bohannon to RS if that is necessary, it isn't out of the realm of possibility. If Bohannon doesn't need a RS, then it's a moot point.

Edit: http://247sports.com/Bolt/Iowa-Basketballs-Andrew-Fleming-Driven-By-Competition-Focus-38347363

Good find, I had never seen that. I will say that I would bet about anything that Flemming doesn't ever play the PG position. In the limited time he has played this year, he hasn't shown the ability to protect the ball at a wing spot, let alone at the PG position. Just my opinion, but I don't see him playing the point.

Good find, I had never seen that. I will say that I would bet about anything that Flemming doesn't ever play the PG position. In the limited time he has played this year, he hasn't shown the ability to protect the ball at a wing spot, let alone at the PG position. Just my opinion, but I don't see him playing the point.

I can't say that I disagree with you, but if Fran feels Bohannon needs a RS and that Fleming can play some minutes at pg, then I trust Fran's judgement at this point. Fleming is athletic, but he was mostly out of control during the non con. But, Flemings seems like a perfect utility player. He'll get his minutes backing up 2 or 3 positions. As for pg goes, it all depends on his ball handling skills. If he has enough to not be a liability in B1G play, it'd work.

Maybe we get lucky, and he earns an academic scholarship like Galloway

I believe it still counts as a "scholarship used" if i remember correctly. I'm pretty sure i remember hearing about this when Paul Shirley was on academic scholarship at ISU that the only difference is where the money comes from, but in the NCAA's view it's still counts towards the scholarship limit.

I believe it still counts as a "scholarship used" if i remember correctly. I'm pretty sure i remember hearing about this when Paul Shirley was on academic scholarship at ISU that the only difference is where the money comes from, but in the NCAA's view it's still counts towards the scholarship limit.

Know nothing about Shirley's situation but I'm 99.9 percent sure that Kyle Galloway was a "walkon" on academic scholarship.

It wouldn't make any sense to give an academic scholarship instead of an athletic if they were redundant.

Fran might have hoped Fleming could play the point but it certainly doesn't look like it.

Ive learned to not pay much attention to what Fran says about his players to the media. Allot of it seems to be motivation and or positive reinforcement for them. He tries to build their confidence by what he says about them publicly.

To answer your question, at some private colleges I believe it works the way you're thinking. If you are an employee of Grinnell College, for example, your child can attend Grinnell for free or can attend one of the other private Iowa Colleges (Simpson, Central, etc.) for a reduced rate if I'm not mistaken. Sorry, I know this doesn't really add to the topic, but does answer this question.
The children of Grinnell college employees (those who have worked there for at least 2 years) get 85% ot 90% of their tuition paid at Grinnellc college and other Pool schools (Coe, Cornell, and Luther are the only other ACM schools in Iowa). If the child chooses to go to a non pool school then they get 5K per year. However the tuition program is relegated to after all other avenues of financial aid/scholarships are obtained. Meaning the tuition benefit is applied after other awarded resources are obtained. Its actually a great deal for the employees...but it doesn't mean outright free tuition.

Latest posts