How close was Terry Allen to becoming Hayden's successor?

He was there for one year. John Blake was the coach those years before Stoops took over.

Wow, I bet he wishes he'd never seen NC.

"In 2010, Blake resigned from North Carolina in the midst of an investigation into players' relationships with agent Gary Wichard,[SUP][1][/SUP] who died of pancreatic cancer in 2011.[SUP][2][/SUP] At the time, Blake was suspected of being an employee and receiving cash benefits from Wichard.[SUP][1][/SUP] On March 12, 2012, the NCAA announced that Blake had received a three-year show-cause penalty, which effectively bars him from college coaching during that period. The NCAA determined that Blake had received personal loans from Wichard and failed to disclose them to UNC, and also misled NCAA investigators.[SUP][2]"

[/SUP]
FreedComanche

Gary Gibbs took over after Switzer left. Then Schnellenberger took over for one train wreck of a year followed by Blake. The Blake era looked bad as far as the record but he was a skilled recruiter and had the cupboard full for Stoops.

Another memorable quote I was privy to in the days leading up to Stoopsie's interview was from Bill Brasher. Bobby was trying to speak with Bowlsby to let him know the Oklahoma deal was real. He left OU hanging for several days. Mike Stoops reached out to multiple people to reaffirm that OU couldn't wait much longer. FB, UIF personnel, anyone that would listen.

The relationship b/w Bowlsby and football was frosty. Coach Brashier said, 'I can't believe he's going to screw up something so easy'.

Brashier wasn't a person that spoke ill about people. This occurred before Ferentz even applied.

cecil IIRC you first posted that on Rivals around 2005 or so. That Rivals thread was started by a first time poster with some facts on the hiring that you then weighed in to verify. Unlike back in 2000 when Miller had a whole forum devoted to this subject there was too much vitriol back then to hear the real story. So with your post I knew enough time had passed (with a lot of success by Ferentz) that the real story was finally coming out and worth keeping for posterity's sake :)

Bowlsby wanted Allen. The big donors revolted. Emphatically. That's what happened on that front.

This is exactly what happened (I have a VERY reliable source). Since Stoops was already gone, the next in line was Ferentz, who got the job based on a great interview and an endorsement from John Hayden Fry

When Ferentz retires/moves on/moves up to AD/is fired, I believe that any of the Stoops brothers would kill for the Iowa job. Bob Stoops is tired of Oklahoma and would love to come to Iowa....

Latest posts