How close was Terry Allen to becoming Hayden's successor?

I was there for that Jon. I've never seen an off topic/politics/religious message board dialogue with as much animosity as that board. When Stoops was putting together a NC run that season and Ferentz was losing every game that board went white hot.

As it should have. Iowa had the hottest head coach prospect who wanted to be the next hawk hc in their hands and they let him go.

And no, I am not saying that Bobby could have done better than kf overall. Stoops wouldn't have near the talent level at Iowa that he does at OK.

FreedComanche

YES. I am flattered you kept this.

cecil IIRC you first posted that on Rivals around 2005 or so. That Rivals thread was started by a first time poster with some facts on the hiring that you then weighed in to verify. Unlike back in 2000 when Miller had a whole forum devoted to this subject there was too much vitriol back then to hear the real story. So with your post I knew enough time had passed (with a lot of success by Ferentz) that the real story was finally coming out and worth keeping for posterity's sake :)

As it should have. Iowa had the hottest head coach prospect who wanted to be the next hawk hc in their hands and they let him go.

And no, I am not saying that Bobby could have done better than kf overall. Stoops wouldn't have near the talent level at Iowa that he does at OK.

FreedComanche

The crazy thing is there are vocal segments in both teams fanbases that want Ferentz or Stoops gone. I would consider both of those segments idiotic.

It wasn't just the failure to get Bobby here (and his success) that was fanning the flames. People were also looking at the staff that Bobby had put together with his brother Mike, Jonathon Hayes, and Chuck Long (our Iowa guys damnit!) vs the unknowns that Kirk had. Also add in guys like Mike Leach, Mangino and Spurrier's kid that Bobby had and it only made it all the worse.

Great stuff in this thread. There were so many rumors on how the hiring process went down that it's awesome to be able to read some good accounts on what happened.

Coaching searches pre-internet and in the early years were impossible to follow.

I can't even imagine what it would have been like if the internet were around when Lute left, or the hiring process of Tom Davis. I just remember opening a newspaper and seeing that Iowa had a new coach.

The crazy thing is there are vocal segments in both teams fanbases that want Ferentz or Stoops gone. I would consider both of those segments idiotic.

Are there really? I think it's crazy any of the sooner nation woud want him gone, but the south does view college football much differently than most up here. Bobby's record is listed below.......

Overall
Conference
Year
W
L
T
W
L
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Only one losing year and look at all the double digit win years.

FreedComanche

Are there really? I think it's crazy any of the sooner nation woud want him gone, but the south does view college football much differently than most up here. Bobby's record is listed below.......Only one losing year and look at all the double digit win years.

FreedComanche

Stoops' first year was 1999, so he actually doesn't have any losing seasons.

Last edited:
I can't really add anything that hasn't already been posted other than I do remember Iowa wanting to interview Tyrone Willingham and he pretty much told them do not even bother. Sonny Lubrick was having a nice run at Colorado St. but his age and lack of Iowa ties didn't make him a realistic candidate. I think Chuck Long got a token interview. I do remember the biggie was finding someone with Iowa ties.......frankly that was what probably got KF the job that and he was well prepared during the interview process.

Are there really? I think it's crazy any of the sooner nation woud want him gone, but the south does view college football much differently than most up here. Bobby's record is listed below.......

Overall
Conference
Year
W
L
T
W
L
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Only one losing year and look at all the double digit win years.

FreedComanche

Wow, 9.6 - 2.9 career at OU. Not bad.

Even better when you take off 1998 (his first year wasn't until 1999, just like Ferentz). 10.6 - 2.6 per year...149-37 overall.

I've always loved Bobby Stoops and wish he would have been named Iowa's coach way back when, but shouldn't the above record be expected at a school like OK? Or is it difficult to have a record like that since he's competing in the big 12?

FreedComanche

I've always loved Bobby Stoops and wish he would have been named Iowa's coach way back when, but shouldn't the above record be expected at a school like OK? Or is it difficult to have a record like that since he's competing in the big 12?

Oklahoma was in the Big 12 for 3 years before Stoops took over...their records were:

1996: 3-8
1997: 4-8
1998: 5-6

Oklahoma was a powerhouse in the mid/late 80's, got in some trouble when Switzer left, then fell out of prominence for several years before Stoops brought them back.

FreedComanche

Good question. But games don't win themselves, nor does the name on the helmet. You still have to get the job done, going through the motions ain't enough.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn St, Florida, Florida St, Nebraska, Miami, Georgia etc etc... all powers who slipped into mediocrity to one degree or another. Oklahoma itself is your proof, look at the years just prior to Stoops.

I don't care where you're coaching... 10-2 over a 14 year career is damn impressive.

Last edited:
Oklahoma was in the Big 12 for 3 years before Stoops took over...their records were:

1996: 3-8
1997: 4-8
1998: 5-6

Oklahoma was a powerhouse in the mid/late 80's, got in some trouble when Switzer left, then fell out of prominence for several years before Stoops brought them back.

Were those three years the time when Howard (?) Schnellenberger was coach there?

FreedComanche

Good question. But games don't win themselves, nor does the name on the helmet. You still have to get the job done, going through the motions ain't enough.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn St, Florida, Florida St, Nebraska, Miami, Georgia etc etc... all powers who slipped into mediocrity to one degree or another. Oklahoma itself is your proof, look at the years just prior to Stoops.

I don't care where you're coaching... 10-2 over a 14 year career is damn impressive.

Yeah, that is very good. Haven't looked it up, but isn't kf's kinda decent as well? I was thinking something like 8-4 or 7-5?

FreedComanche

Latest posts