Hoops Thoughts

What drives me crazy is that we never take advantage of obvious mismatches in the half court set. The minute I see Josh Gasser defending Aaron White, I'm clearing out that side of the court and I'm posting Gasser up. I never saw that one time yesterday. We never made Wisconsin pay for switching on defense. They play 3 - 6'1" guards and we can't get these midgets in the post? That's a coaching FLAW. Plain and simple.

I think with Mel healthy yesterday, we would have won the game. Kaminsky would not have scored so easily with Mel in the game. He killed us pure and simple.....

I was surprised how well Kaminsky did with his footwork down low and using his body to discard Woodbury, Olaseni, and others. He didn't do much of that in the game at Madison IIRC.

Exactly that is with him playing the 3...look at how basabe gets his points and how those ways play to white's strengths. Also look at where basabe gets the ball and how that better fits white's skill set.
Agreed. White is very good around the basket and he has the best hands on the team, IMO.

Some hoops thoughts of my own:

1. Zach McCabe deserves better from fans AND the Iowa coaching staff. I think they are asking too much for what McCabe's skillset and athleticism can deliver. The guy is playing his heart out, but the coaches are wanting Zach to be more than what he is.

2. Olgelsby played his role to perfection yesterday. Come off the bench and ignite a struggling team. Olgelsby is a role player. No more, no less. To expect him to take over for Marble next year is foolish.

3. Once again Iowa loses a close game because of our inability to make plays when it matters most. We have a team with many good players, but no great player. It showed again yesterday.

4. Aaron White in transition is a thing of beauty. White in a half court set is painful to watch!

5. Iowa needs to finish strong on the recruiting trail this spring. Next year's team will desperately need scorers. Guys who can get their own shot.

But Uthoff won't be able to dribble penetrate against a smaller quicker 3 that is defending him so they'll play up on him to take his shot away and he'll be as one dimensional as White.

Uhtoff has already showed this year that with a little head fake or a couple dribbles he can rise up over guys and hit a jumper.

He does it alot.

If he works on some bread and butter type moves from the wings and baseline and in the lane he could be great next year.

What drives me crazy is that we never take advantage of obvious mismatches in the half court set. The minute I see Josh Gasser defending Aaron White, I'm clearing out that side of the court and I'm posting Gasser up. I never saw that one time yesterday. We never made Wisconsin pay for switching on defense. They play 3 - 6'1" guards and we can't get these midgets in the post? That's a coaching FLAW. Plain and simple.

^^ I do agree but dont just blame the coaches, the players or at least smart players should recognize this and go to a more triangle offense with the mismatch in the low post. I would love to see the player with the mismatch really yell it out and want the ball, and I would really like to see the ball handlers work to get it to them.

I also thought we got caught in the first half with too many bigs and we couldnt find their 3 small shooters on the perimeter as far as mismatches go.

Last edited:
I was surprised how well Kaminsky did with his footwork down low and using his body to discard Woodbury, Olaseni, and others. He didn't do much of that in the game at Madison IIRC.

During some of the second half the hawks started getting a quick double team on kaminsky once he started dribbling. We made him pickup his dribble with his back to the basket 10-15 feet from hoop and he was out of the offense for awhile.

During some of the second half the hawks started getting a quick double team on kaminsky once he started dribbling. We made him pickup his dribble with his back to the basket 10-15 feet from hoop and he was out of the offense for awhile.

Imagine if we could put 4 shooters around Woody... As much as I hate Wisconsin I envy their lineup of shooters.

He seems to have the ability to use a few steps a lot of the time on his way to the basket. My son thought he traveled Obviously a few times, but he is very skillful and destroyed us. He scored too easily. If nothing else he should have paid the price for that by hard fouls, making him think about it. He had his way with us the entire game....

He seems to have the ability to use a few steps a lot of the time on his way to the basket. My son thought he traveled Obviously a few times, but he is very skillful and destroyed us. He scored too easily. If nothing else he should have paid the price for that by hard fouls, making him think about it. He had his way with us the entire game....

He bodies to the opponent's chest. I don't see Iowa big men do that. Instead, they try to out-maneuver the opponent too much. I guess when you are built like a stick, you can't body up too much.

Latest posts