Hoops Thoughts

I'm in the belief that the games we have lost are due to our inability to shoot the 3 ball.

Yes uthoff is obviously a better shooter than white but he still has only taken 32 3pt attempts.

Next year that # will increase as should his minutes played but I still see Uthoff similar to White in that he uses his ball skills to take advantage of t matchup he has with other big men. Other teams will just match up with him with smaller guys. He's not strong enough to post similar to White and I'm not confident he'll be a consistent outside shooter.

i guess we'll find out next year.

Even if he doesn't hit a bunch of threes he has already shown the ability to hit the pull up mid range jumper. So put a small guy on him to stop him from getting to the rim and he can easily shoot over them from mid range. When has white pulled up from mid range? At least that would be an upgrade.

To play the #4, White will need to get some more muscle and learn some post moves near the hoop. He is strong and wiry now, but to play the #4, he'll be going up against some bulky power forwards. He will need to learn some techniques to use his body to get position near the hoop on both ends of the court.

Agree. White will get pushed around next year down low if he doesn't work on some moves and gains weight. That's pretty much why he's never down there now...

His drive to the left side of the hoop where just throws some garbage shot up with his right hand praying he gets fouled is comical. I did that in jr high in those knockout games during PE

White is above average for a 4 with handles but below for a 3.

uthoff is average for a 3 and way above average for a 4 so again...upgrade.

How many games ago was it that White out us on his back and scored about 4 straight possessions in a tight game??

We need White to play better but I'm not ready to call Uthoff an upgrade because he has a better outside shot.

It wasn't but a couple weeks ago that Uthoff was missing in action but as typical... What have you done for me lately fan mentality.

my point is I don't think either are true 3s and not the answer. Unless Pete makes huge strides or we pick up a juco, I'm not sure we have a good answer and Uthoff will be playing the 3. I hope we can get a juco to fill the role.

good post Jon. Right on
That was a painful loss...no getting around it.

This team can be exhilarating and frustrating so many times in the same game.

There were times on Saturday when they played poorly..like, much of the first half with the exception of about 4 minutes where they shot well. Then in the second half they were clearly much tougher and took the game to Wisconsin. Then in the end, Iowa fell apart yet again and could not hold a lead and then couldn't even get a shot up when down one point with roughly :30 seconds to go.

The shot attempt when Iowa was down three doesn't need to be hashed over too much more. Fran said that Zach and Josh were the two primary options. One of them had a double screen called for him, the other didn't. The one who did wouldn't have been the one I would have picked in that instance, through no fault of his own. His coach drew that play up and while I respect having confidence in your guys, there was one guy in this game, who was red hot, who I would have rather seen shoot that shot.

Again, that's not the player's fault; the coaches draw up the plays and make the decisions. Without knowing the exact design of what they drew up I don't feel comfortable taking McCaffery to the mat on it, but again, one player had a double screen drawn up for him, the other didn't.

ZACH MCCABE: Is he performing how he wants to perform on the court? No, he's not. He's trying hard, giving it everything he has. Again, the coaches are the ones who decides who goes in and who doesn't. If you have any angst over who plays what minutes, direct that at the coaches and not the players.

To the flat out anonymous cowards ripping the kid on social media or wherever else anonymous cowards are going to do such things; you're flat out delta bravos. Incredibly weak and deranged. To flat out rip a member of the team you root for is weak. I've always found it weak and I can't believe how many grown men do it and have done it on message boards like this and others through the years.

It's been even more comical at how many anonymous grown men have reacted incredulously when I've deleted their posts ripping the players and/or banned them.

Truly, if this causes your feathers to be ruffled, do us all a favor and leave here and never, ever come back. You're not wanted or welcome.

GOING FORWARD: The regular season title is likely out...it's disappointing, but this team is still capable of doing a lot. Whether or not they reach their full potential this year remains to be seen. Well, I will amend that. In my opinion, they won't reach their full potential this year because Aaron White continues to be used as a three and he's not a three. As a three, his primary scoring method is drive and get fouled and go to the free throw line, or score in transition. He's more skilled than that, but he doesn't have three skills (consistently). He's a four right now and I think he would flat dominate there...and I think we'll see him do just that next year.

Iowa's best lineup for next year will be Gesell at the one, Oglesby at the two, Uthoff at the three, White at the four and Woodbury/Olaseni at the five. If things play out that way, I think White has a chance to be 1st team All Big Ten and vie for player of the year honors.

But that's just not going to happen this year. Melsahn Basabe is probably a part of the reason and perhaps Fran feels he's getting his best options on the floor this way. But White is too good of a player to be so inconsistent in the scoring column as he has been this year and I am convinced it's because he's playing out of position.

Iowa really needs to win four of their last five games to be certain of a four seed in the NCAA tournament. They are probably down in the 5-6 range for sure as of right now...which is where I pegged them before they year began. I thought they'd be 11-7 in the B1G...that said, they are a better team than I thought they would be and 11-7 would be a disappointment.

Getting one of the first four seeds and missing the first round of the B1G tournament is now of the utmost importance.

Not sure why anyone thinks White will suddenly be a first team All B10 guy if he starts playing more at the 4 spot. If a player has absolutely no jump shot her becomes easy to defend in the half court no matter what position he plays. The best four men in the conference all have jump shots that the defense needs to respect, when you don't it becomes real easy for quality defenses to shut you down.

I'm in the belief that the games we have lost are due to our inability to shoot the 3 ball. (and defend the 3 ball)

Yes uthoff is obviously a better shooter than white but he still has only taken 32 3pt attempts.

Next year that # will increase as should his minutes played but I still see Uthoff similar to White in that he uses his ball skills to take advantage of t matchup he has with other big men. Other teams will just match up with him with smaller guys. He's not strong enough to post similar to White and I'm not confident he'll be a consistent outside shooter.

i guess we'll find out next year.

How many games ago was it that White out us on his back and scored about 4 straight possessions in a tight game??

We need White to play better but I'm not ready to call Uthoff an upgrade because he has a better outside shot.

It wasn't but a couple weeks ago that Uthoff was missing in action but as typical... What have you done for me lately fan mentality.

my point is I don't think either are true 3s and not the answer. Unless Pete makes huge strides or we pick up a juco, I'm not sure we have a good answer and Uthoff will be playing the 3. I hope we can get a juco to fill the role.

I was referencing his ball handling only.

but he will be an upgrade as a 3. He is a better shooter, better ball handler, better passer, and it isn't hard to be similar defensively to white as he isn't a good defender. White is a match up nightmare at the 4. But AT&T he 3 teams don't have to scheme to take him out of the half court.

That was a painful loss...no getting around it.

This team can be exhilarating and frustrating so many times in the same game.

There were times on Saturday when they played poorly..like, much of the first half with the exception of about 4 minutes where they shot well. Then in the second half they were clearly much tougher and took the game to Wisconsin. Then in the end, Iowa fell apart yet again and could not hold a lead and then couldn't even get a shot up when down one point with roughly :30 seconds to go.

The shot attempt when Iowa was down three doesn't need to be hashed over too much more. Fran said that Zach and Josh were the two primary options. One of them had a double screen called for him, the other didn't. The one who did wouldn't have been the one I would have picked in that instance, through no fault of his own. His coach drew that play up and while I respect having confidence in your guys, there was one guy in this game, who was red hot, who I would have rather seen shoot that shot.

Again, that's not the player's fault; the coaches draw up the plays and make the decisions. Without knowing the exact design of what they drew up I don't feel comfortable taking McCaffery to the mat on it, but again, one player had a double screen drawn up for him, the other didn't.

ZACH MCCABE: Is he performing how he wants to perform on the court? No, he's not. He's trying hard, giving it everything he has. Again, the coaches are the ones who decides who goes in and who doesn't. If you have any angst over who plays what minutes, direct that at the coaches and not the players.

To the flat out anonymous cowards ripping the kid on social media or wherever else anonymous cowards are going to do such things; you're flat out delta bravos. Incredibly weak and deranged. To flat out rip a member of the team you root for is weak. I've always found it weak and I can't believe how many grown men do it and have done it on message boards like this and others through the years.

It's been even more comical at how many anonymous grown men have reacted incredulously when I've deleted their posts ripping the players and/or banned them.

Truly, if this causes your feathers to be ruffled, do us all a favor and leave here and never, ever come back. You're not wanted or welcome.

GOING FORWARD: The regular season title is likely out...it's disappointing, but this team is still capable of doing a lot. Whether or not they reach their full potential this year remains to be seen. Well, I will amend that. In my opinion, they won't reach their full potential this year because Aaron White continues to be used as a three and he's not a three. As a three, his primary scoring method is drive and get fouled and go to the free throw line, or score in transition. He's more skilled than that, but he doesn't have three skills (consistently). He's a four right now and I think he would flat dominate there...and I think we'll see him do just that next year.

Iowa's best lineup for next year will be Gesell at the one, Oglesby at the two, Uthoff at the three, White at the four and Woodbury/Olaseni at the five. If things play out that way, I think White has a chance to be 1st team All Big Ten and vie for player of the year honors.

But that's just not going to happen this year. Melsahn Basabe is probably a part of the reason and perhaps Fran feels he's getting his best options on the floor this way. But White is too good of a player to be so inconsistent in the scoring column as he has been this year and I am convinced it's because he's playing out of position.

Iowa really needs to win four of their last five games to be certain of a four seed in the NCAA tournament. They are probably down in the 5-6 range for sure as of right now...which is where I pegged them before they year began. I thought they'd be 11-7 in the B1G...that said, they are a better team than I thought they would be and 11-7 would be a disappointment.

Getting one of the first four seeds and missing the first round of the B1G tournament is now of the utmost importance.

Adding to 'going forward'... a little recent history

2012-13 B10 final standings
Ind. 14-4
OSU 13-5
MSU 13-5
Wis 12-6
Mich 12-6 lost in NCAA title game

who had most memorable season? patience...

I was referencing his ball handling only.

but he will be an upgrade as a 3. He is a better shooter, better ball handler, better passer, and it isn't hard to be similar defensively to white as he isn't a good defender. White is a match up nightmare at the 4. But AT&T he 3 teams don't have to scheme to take him out of the half court.

White isn't going to be a matchup nightmare at any position unless he gets a jumpshot. Make it a half court game and he is extremely limited in what he can do.

Not sure why anyone thinks White will suddenly be a first team All B10 guy if he starts playing more at the 4 spot. If a player has absolutely no jump shot her becomes easy to defend in the half court no matter what position he plays. The best four men in the conference all have jump shots that the defense needs to respect, when you don't it becomes real easy for quality defenses to shut you down.

I think he'd have more of an advantage with his ball handling going against power forwards instead of small forwards. And his mid-range jumper isn't bad, he just never uses it.

Seriously? Uthoff has better handles and a smooth jumper. He is absolutely a 3. White isn't.

Look around the league... Guys like stauskas and gasser to name just a couple.

i wouldn't call Uthoff at 6'9" a traditional 3. Sure he has better ball skills than white and a better outside shot, but this is a guard oriented game and I'd peefer a more traditional 3 similar to stauskas or gasser.

If White would be so dominating at a four, then the Wisky game would have been the perfect opportunity to start him at a four and demonstrate to the team how good it can be with him playing at the four and uthoff playing at the three. If all that's true, then why waste this year playing for next year?

Look around the league... Guys like stauskas and gasser to name just a couple.

i wouldn't call Uthoff at 6'9" a traditional 3. Sure he has better ball skills than white and a better outside shot, but this is a guard oriented game and I'd peefer a more traditional 3 similar to stauskas or gasser.

Both Wisconsin and Michigan run more of a three-guard lineup than a traditional PG-SG-SF-PF-C lineup.

Stauskas and Gasser aren't traditional 3's at all. They're guards.

I think he'd have more of an advantage with his ball handling going against power forwards instead of small forwards. And his mid-range jumper isn't bad, he just never uses it.

Any ball handling advantage he will have against a four is going to be negated by the opponent playing five feet off of him and daring him to drive. The scouting report on White in the B10 is be physical with him off the ball and when he has the ball play off of him, give him any jumper he wants, and stay on your feet when he drives as he will try to initiate contact. And it works, I don't see any reason why all of a sudden he will become a confident mid range shooter in his senior year, although I would love if it happens.

Would really like to see Iowa land Atwood as that's a big part of his game and he would bring a physical edge to this team that Uthoff and White just don't have.

Both Wisconsin and Michigan run more of a three-guard lineup than a traditional PG-SG-SF-PF-C lineup.

NW uses Demps, Crawford and Cobb, Nebraska uses Webster, Gallegos and Petteway, OSU either has Thompson or Smith at the 3, Minnesota uses Hollins at the 3, Penn St uses Newbill, what teams are using traditional 3's where Uthoff's ballhandling will be an advantage at that position? To me Uthoff looks real shaky with the ball any time he does anything more than a quick two dribble move.

I would argue more teams than not play with 3 guards so maybe my use of traditional is wrong but in a game dominated by guard play... That's exactly what I'm calling for, a 3 guard lineup next year.

Latest posts