Hoops Thoughts

If White would be so dominating at a four, then the Wisky game would have been the perfect opportunity to start him at a four and demonstrate to the team how good it can be with him playing at the four and uthoff playing at the three. If all that's true, then why waste this year playing for next year?

^^ in hindsight and maybe in foresight , with Basabe out limited with illness maybe White should have played for Basabe and Uhtoff started rather than McCabe.

OR white at the 4 and start mccabe at the 3 and perimeter.

I disagree. Uthoff has shooting abilities that White doesn't have and probably never will. Uhtoff can be a pretty mismatch at the three as far as some ball skills and posting up smaller players.

Uthoff solely at the three? Yikes. In my opinion that's more problematic than White playing that position. I think White has far better lateral quickness, including his first step, compared to Uthoff. I think Uthoff has problems keeping more traditional swing players in front of him, and while he can handle the ball ok, I don't think he's quick enough with the dribble to get past most small forwards.

I like Uthoff and his game, but it's different than what I thought it'd be. While he gets up and down the court well, I've been disappointed with his lack of quickness or burst, on both ends of the court. At least laterally. The advantage he presents, in my mind, is that he can draw a post player out with his jumper, yet has enough of a dribble to penetrate on a 4. He's closer to a Matt Bullard than anything...and his game will really become dynamic as he expands his post moves.

As we approach tourney time, I'd like to see more three guard line-ups with Gesell, Marble and Oglesby, and White and one of our centers.

While it appears the B1G title is now out of reach, especially with Michigan up 12 over MSU with only 4 mins left, this can still turn out to be a special season. Everybody acting like yesterday's loss ruined the entire season is being dumb.

And Jon, there are a ton of negative posts about McCabe still up. Why not just ban all these fools who are calling out players? Its against board rules and they know it. I didn't read the game thread from yesterday but I would guess you probably could have nuked at least a dozen posters for comments ripping players.

I agree that it's not McCabe's fault that his coach keeps insisting on putting him into the game. Him starting might have been the second worst coaching move of Fran's tenure here.

Fran's worst coaching move was drawing up a play for a guy who was having a terrible game and was at best the 8th best scoring option on the team. How many game winning/tying shots does a guy have to miss before you decide to try someone else?

For the record, I thought Marble's decision making with the ball down one and 30 seconds left was worse than Zach missing that shot.

Also, Basabe is the only guy Iowa has that does any of the dirty work and it showed today. It seemed like anytime that ball was on the floor, Wisconsin came up with it. Iowa can replace Marble's scoring. I don't think they have anyone on the roster right now that can replace what Basabe does though.

Uthoff solely at the three? Yikes. In my opinion that's more problematic than White playing that position. I think White has far better lateral quickness, including his first step, compared to Uthoff. I think Uthoff has problems keeping more traditional swing players in front of him, and while he can handle the ball ok, I don't think he's quick enough with the dribble to get past most small forwards.

I like Uthoff and his game, but it's different than what I thought it'd be. While he gets up and down the court well, I've been disappointed with his lack of quickness or burst, on both ends of the court. At least laterally. The advantage he presents, in my mind, is that he can draw a post player out with his jumper, yet has enough of a dribble to penetrate on a 4. He's closer to a Matt Bullard than anything...and his game will really become dynamic as he expands his post moves.

The difference is Uthoff can shoot so players at least have to pretend to guard him outside 15 feet. Teams sag so far off White it's like having an extra post defender.

The difference is Uthoff can shoot so players at least have to pretend to guard him outside 15 feet. Teams sag so far off White it's like having an extra post defender.

But Uthoff won't be able to dribble penetrate against a smaller quicker 3 that is defending him so they'll play up on him to take his shot away and he'll be as one dimensional as White.

But Uthoff won't be able to dribble penetrate against a smaller quicker 3 that is defending him so they'll play up on him to take his shot away and he'll be as one dimensional as White.

yes but that one dimension spreads the floor and allows Gessell and Marble to get into the lane easier.

If Iowa can't land a JUCO or transfer that isn't good enough to start or make an immediate impact with 4 available then I see that as a big problem. Been saying it this year and last, that we lack a clutch go-to-guy that would make this team better. A player who makes up for Fran's late game coaching gaffs. Marble was the closest to this and he's gone next season. Ellingson sure isn't going to be it and neither will Uhl. Both are projects. I see more of the same next season, maybe worse, without a scorer. 4 available scholarships and if none of those players can fill a starting spot and make an impact then how is anything going to change?

I think White would have difficulty posting up and being effective against all of these MSU power forwards: Costello, Kaminski, Schilling, and Guana.

He would also have difficulty against Nigel Hayes when he's playing the #4 while the #5 is in the game for Wisky.

He would also have difficulty against the stronger and more athletic Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary.

That's a few.

I think White would have difficulty posting up and being effective against all of these MSU power forwards: Costello, Kaminski, Schilling, and Guana.

He would also have difficulty against Nigel Hayes when he's playing the #4 while the #5 is in the game for Wisky.

He would also have difficulty against the stronger and more athletic Glenn Robinson and Mitch McGary.

That's a few.

Iowa doesn't play a traditional 4 how the 4 plays in the curl cut offense plays to white's strengths.

Iowa doesn't play a traditional 4 how the 4 plays in the curl cut offense plays to white's strengths.

Curl cuts require that the shooter attempt 12 to 17 foot jump shots on many plays. Aaron is avoiding those shots for some reason. He also gets bottled up easily in the paint when he's curling-cutting, trying to get off 2 to 3 foot shots.

Curl cuts require that the shooter attempt 12 to 17 foot jump shots on many plays. Aaron is avoiding those shots for some reason. He also gets bottled up easily in the paint when he's curling-cutting, trying to get off 2 to 3 foot shots.

Exactly that is with him playing the 3...look at how basabe gets his points and how those ways play to white's strengths. Also look at where basabe gets the ball and how that better fits white's skill set.

Grown men acting like idiots on twitter and lashing out at players on the team is beyond insane. Doing it on the message boards is one thing, I can see some value in venting, but to attack a player on social media is low.

Jon, IMO, retweeting some of that stuff is not necessary and I think adds to the problem.

Exactly

Exactly that is with him playing the 3...look at how basabe gets his points and how those ways play to white's strengths. Also look at where basabe gets the ball and how that better fits white's skill set.

Basabe is not afraid to shoot 12 to 15 foot jumpers.

Sadly, Aaron is.

Basabe is not afraid to shoot 12 to 15 foot jumpers.

Sadly, Aaron is.

True but Aaron catches at three pt line and must drive and pull up. While basabe catches at 12 ft and can just shoot. That is what Aaron did his frosh yr and was good at it.

To play the #4, White will need to get some more muscle and learn some post moves near the hoop. He is strong and wiry now, but to play the #4, he'll be going up against some bulky power forwards. He will need to learn some techniques to use his body to get position near the hoop on both ends of the court.

He has used a hook style shot close to the basket and over the years has shown that he can score around the basket, but this year he seems to be on the outside looking in and is reluctant to shoot a jump shot, which he has done, but not very often. I remember one game at Wisconsin, perhaps his first year when he recieved the ball in the middle was trapped, and couldn't pass the ball out. He turned, threw the ball off the backboard caught it and slammed it into the basket. He has the ability play close to the basket.....

I would like to see him develop a mid-range jump shot, even a jump hook off the backboard, which can acttally be a high percentage shot.....

I think with Mel healthy yesterday, we would have won the game. Kaminsky would not have scored so easily with Mel in the game. He killed us pure and simple.....

:rolleyes:

He has used a hook style shot close to the basket and over the years has shown that he can score around the basket, but this year he seems to be on the outside looking in and is reluctant to shoot a jump shot, which he has done, but not very often. I remember one game at Wisconsin, perhaps his first year when he recieved the ball in the middle was trapped, and couldn't pass the ball out. He turned, threw the ball off the backboard caught it and slammed it into the basket. He has the ability play close to the basket.....

I would like to see him develop a mid-range jump shot, even a jump hook off the backboard, which can acttally be a high percentage shot.....

I think with Mel healthy yesterday, we would have won the game. Kaminsky would not have scored so easily with Mel in the game. He killed us pure and simple.....

:rolleyes:

When he was matched against olaseni, kaminsky killed us but against woody that wasn't the case.

Latest posts