Hoiberg is a FABULOUS Coach

I'd love to see what he could do with Uthoff. He could be a Niang type player instead of launching 18 foot 2 pointers set up by his own dribble. Does Fran understand basketball analytics? Multiple players taking the worst shot in basketball does not lead to sustainable success. Is there a wonder why Iowa always goes through droughts? They have since he's been at Iowa.

Put 50 pounds of muscle on him?

Talent makes everything look good. We have seen it before ourselves in football and basketball.

Hoiberg is great. The interesting part to me is look at what it takes to win at ISU. I am not sure they could have come up with anyone else that could get these results. It takes a former player who is loved, runs the community he lives in, a former NBA player and executive with strong ties and competes in a sports based conference. Chew on that for a second.

A few other schools have tried something like this and bombed. It's a one in a million. Fry used to say the sun shines on a dogs behind every once in a while. It underscores what a difficult place ISU is to win at.

Hoiberg doesn't just have a good team.. He has a PROGRAM going there right now. Hawk fans won't want to hear it, but it's true. Only question is how long he sticks around. Coaching his alma mater - could be a while.

Talent makes everything look good. We have seen it before ourselves in football and basketball.

Hoiberg is great. The interesting part to me is look at what it takes to win at ISU. I am not sure they could have come up with anyone else that could get these results. It takes a former player who is loved, runs the community he lives in, a former NBA player and executive with strong ties and competes in a sports based conference. Chew on that for a second.

A few other schools have tried something like this and bombed. It's a one in a million. Fry used to say the sun shines on a dogs behind every once in a while. It underscores what a difficult place ISU is to win at.

Except for maybe Floyd and Eustachy.

Hoiberg doesn't just have a good team.. He has a PROGRAM going there right now. Hawk fans won't want to hear it, but it's true. Only question is how long he sticks around. Coaching his alma mater - could be a while.

Yeah, go ahead and thumbs-down me for stating the truth. As i said, Hawk fans don't want to hear it.

I love the Hawks, but sometimes you simply have to tip your hat to the other guys. Fred Hoiberg is a great coach and pure class all the way:

1. He made the right decision in not playing DeJean Jones.
2. He recruits good athletes and then molds them into a team that plays very unselfishly.
3. He was pure class in his post-game interview; very complimentary of Aaron White and many of the Iowa players.

It hurts to say this, but Iowa State has something very special going with Hoiberg. I think they are a Top 10 team this year if they stay away from injury.

Hard to disagree with anything you say. ISU was bad call from a Sweet 16 two years ago and a injury from an Elite 8 last year. Fred just seems to have the "It" factor.

And that lasted how long? One final 8 with LE and then it slowly started going south to mediocrity by the time he was dismissed.

Floyd had some solid teams but nothing that was a world beater.

Didn't Larry E have most of his success with Tim Floyd's players? Then once those guys were gone, it dropped off. Tim Floyd could recruit like crazy, but never struck me as a great game coach judging by W's vs. the amount of talent he always seemed to have. Sound familiar? (Hint: Raveling/Davis)

You have to give FH credit in terms of thinking outside the box. He brought NBA concepts to the college game in terms of ball movement and spacing. They can do it both ways with a guy on a iso surrounded by spot up shooters or strictly with ball movement knowing when to make that extra pass for the best shot. FH totally gets how the game of basketball is played these days.

You have to give FH credit in terms of thinking outside the box. He brought NBA concepts to the college game in terms of ball movement and spacing. They can do it both ways with a guy on a iso surrounded by spot up shooters or strictly with ball movement knowing when to make that extra pass for the best shot. FH totally gets how the game of basketball is played these days.

This..

Fred can coach, bottom line. All the thumbs down on this thread must be my fellow Hawks jealousy showing through. Fran has yet to show he can out coach the big boys. Same old stale half court offense for 5 years straight.

Their guards are quicker than ours. That was the difference. That, and a 4-minute stretch. The other 36 minutes, we outscored them. They came out shooting well in the 2nd half and we didn't. We have to find ways not to go cold and turn it up defensively when we do. It's not time to anoint Fred as the great white hope or the next John Wooden. The first half was even, the last 3/4 of the game was even. If they have so much more talent than us, then that proves that Fran actually is a BETTER coach than Fred. Their guys just hit shots for a short stretch and didn't go cold for the rest of the game. Some shots were well defended, some were not. It's the same guy/guys that won at UNC.
This post just happened.

Didn't Larry E have most of his success with Tim Floyd's players? Then once those guys were gone, it dropped off. Tim Floyd could recruit like crazy, but never struck me as a great game coach judging by W's vs. the amount of talent he always seemed to have. Sound familiar? (Hint: Raveling/Davis)

Sounds very familiar indeed!

But as we saw it starts with great players. That really helped TD get off to a great start at Iowa. What would have happened if he had followed Licklighter?

Fred can coach, bottom line. All the thumbs down on this thread must be my fellow Hawks jealousy showing through. Fran has yet to show he can out coach the big boys. Same old stale half court offense for 5 years straight.

There is no amazing offense that will cause the ball to suddenly go in the basket. Iowa gets shots with it's offense. They can't shoot. It ain't the "stale offense" it's the "stale shooters."

Sounds very familiar indeed!

But as we saw it starts with great players. That really helped TD get off to a great start at Iowa. What would have happened if he had followed Licklighter?

That's an interesting question that we'll never really know the answer to, so all we can do is speculate, but I think Tom Davis was a terrific coach. Not a bad recruiter (not great, either) but where he excelled most IMO was at player development and getting the most out of what he had to work with. I'm sure there were exceptions but it seemed like TD's players nearly always improved from year to year, and there were some players with marginal talent who turned into pretty good Big Ten players, and they played well as a team.

I suspect Davis still would've done fine, ultimately, if he had taken over a poor situation the way Fran did, even if it took 4-5 years to get there. I would guess similar to the results he had after Lute/Raveling's recruits were gone, but who can say for sure.

All I really need to do is look at what happened at Drake: Drake was just terrible when he took over there, and although Mr. Davis's records there weren't too flashy, Keno came in and coached Drake that one year and went 28-5 before taking the Providence job. What that tells me is that Tom Davis should get a lot of credit for Keno's great year at Drake, particularly since he couldn't get it done on his own at Providence. He must have done a great job of setting things up for Keno to take over. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly. Franschilla always gushed hoe Freddy identifies mis-matches (NBA style) and exploits them. Last nite we had Uhl on Niang on a few trips down and immediately they got him the ball in the post, where Niang overpowered Uhl.

Latest posts