Hoiberg is a FABULOUS Coach

ChosenChildren

I love the Hawks, but sometimes you simply have to tip your hat to the other guys. Fred Hoiberg is a great coach and pure class all the way:

1. He made the right decision in not playing DeJean Jones.
2. He recruits good athletes and then molds them into a team that plays very unselfishly.
3. He was pure class in his post-game interview; very complimentary of Aaron White and many of the Iowa players.

It hurts to say this, but Iowa State has something very special going with Hoiberg. I think they are a Top 10 team this year if they stay away from injury.

Hats off to Jaime Pollard too. Big risk hiring hoiberg. Zero coaching experience. Our athletic department should take some notes.

I agree. Fred has done a wonderful job and his teams are well disciplined and fun to watch. And each year he basically starts fresh but gets his players to gel...

Fred Hoiberg will be in the NBA within two years as a head coach. He's getting it done.

I won't give Pollard credit for him, because he didn't have anything to do with hiring him. Hoiberg is The Mayor. He got the job because he wanted it.

Hats off to Jaime Pollard too. Big risk hiring hoiberg. Zero coaching experience. Our athletic department should take some notes.

Our athletic dept has tons of problems....no doubt about it. But the day we start "taking notes" on running an athletic dept from that clown in Ames is the day I pack it up and call it quits!

Fred's team plays like a TEAM that likes each other. They get along, they smile, they've got each other's backs.

Iowa - not so much.

Chosen, couldn't have said it better myself. How does he get those players to gel like that.... I think anyone would be hard pressed to find issue with The Mayor. I'll root big time for ISU. Go Hawks

I'm saying look at the overall budget. Who's done more with less? It's like life. Were your parents successful? Did they set you up for success? Or are you someone that takes whatever given and maximizes it. Takes chances. Not afraid of failure. I see Pollard as that. I see barta as someone who's been set up nicely and won't stray from that formula.

As I see it, you're either moving forward, or you're moving backwards.

Exactly. They play like a TEAM that stays away from each other's girlfriends.
That's a total rumor and has zero truth to it.

The Twitter issue what a problem last season as was Roy Marble Sr sometimes saying some things other players didn't like to hear. Some players also didn't like how Roy Marble Jr. would take a lot of quick shots as well. There were problems internally last season but nobody was sleeping with anybody's girlfriend. It came down to some egos getting hurt and some guys getting too cocky. Last year the team couldn't handle quick success and got a big head.

Those were the problems.

Fred Hoiberg will be in the NBA within two years as a head coach. He's getting it done.

I won't give Pollard credit for him, because he didn't have anything to do with hiring him. Hoiberg is The Mayor. He got the job because he wanted it.

That's 100% false. Fred wanted the job after Morgan and JP said not yet. Pollard deserves credit for the risk.

That's 100% false. Fred wanted the job after Morgan and JP said not yet. Pollard deserves credit for the risk.
I don't really consider it a risk. Hoiberg has the basketball experience (college and pros). He is from Ames. He's a smart basketball mind. It's not like Kentucky where the pressure to hire the right guy is a one shot deal. Pollard, much like Barta, can afford a mulligan or 2.

People have been saying -- wishing? -- that since about the second year he arrived and showed he truly could coach. I don't see him going anywhere. He's got a good gig and he knows it. He'll coach for as long as he wants, then move into the AD's office when Pollard goes to something bigger.

Their guards are quicker than ours. That was the difference. That, and a 4-minute stretch. The other 36 minutes, we outscored them. They came out shooting well in the 2nd half and we didn't. We have to find ways not to go cold and turn it up defensively when we do. It's not time to anoint Fred as the great white hope or the next John Wooden. The first half was even, the last 3/4 of the game was even. If they have so much more talent than us, then that proves that Fran actually is a BETTER coach than Fred. Their guys just hit shots for a short stretch and didn't go cold for the rest of the game. Some shots were well defended, some were not. It's the same guy/guys that won at UNC.

I would love to see what Fred could do with Gessell....
I'd love to see what he could do with Uthoff. He could be a Niang type player instead of launching 18 foot 2 pointers set up by his own dribble. Does Fran understand basketball analytics? Multiple players taking the worst shot in basketball does not lead to sustainable success. Is there a wonder why Iowa always goes through droughts? They have since he's been at Iowa.

Latest posts