• 8-4

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • 7-5 or worse

Votes: 18 12.6%

• Total voters

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
resize.php

July is here, and this is the month where we go on the record with not only Iowa's game by game season prediction, but we'll preview each of Iowa's opponents and make predictions for each and every team in the Big Ten conference.

So in essence, it's a month long Iowa and Big Ten football preview here at HawkeyeNation.com.

We'll lead things off with our game by game prediction for Iowa's 2011 football season. I had toyed with the thought of picking the Hawks last, but by that time you would have been able to piece the prediction together based upon my game by game predictions for the other 12 teams in the Big Ten, so let's just jump in with the Hawkeyes.

September 3rd, Tennessee Tech at Iowa: Tennessee Tech is an FCS squad with a lot of experience on the roster. They will have nearly 25 seniors plus another 25 juniors on the roster. They boast one of the best receivers in the FCS level, Tim Benford, who has more than 2000 career receiving yards. Coach Watson Brown said this prior to the start of spring ball this past March: "We want to be the fastest 60 minutes in football. Our style will change and we'll pick up the tempo. We want to play faster, improve our team speed, react quicker. We want to make the games longer. We think one of our strengths will be our depth, and we want to take advantage of that." Here is a link to their spring game report. A veteran FCS club will be a nice test for Iowa right out of the gate; nice in that you had better still win the game, but salty enough for the game film to be a benefit heading into week two. This team beat Eastern Illinois last year, but surrendered over 100 points combined against Arkansas and TCU. IOWA 41, Tech 17

September 10th, Iowa at Iowa State: Iowa is an early 7.5 point favorite in this game, and you can see some of the Iowa-ISU line history at this link. There's no nice way for me to put this, so I will just say it; I can't stand this game when it's at Jack Trice. I get pretty amped up due to what this game means when you are an Iowa fan living in central Iowa. Losing this game creates multiple smack talk opportunities due to my line of work...then again, that's part of the fun in it, too. Iowa State has a LOT of questions to answer on offense, things we'll take a deeper look at in the coming weeks. Namely, they have to settle on a new quarterback (Steele Jantz didn't set the world on fire in the spring and Jerome Tiller hasn't proven to be anything other than an average passer, at best). They have to replace running back Alexander Robinson. They have a receiving corps with talent, but one that hasn't stepped it up to the next level. They are solid in the secondary and at linebacker on defense, but defensive line continues to be a question mark for them. ISU has not scored a touchdown against Iowa's first or second team defense since 2006, but they will this year. IOWA 24, Iowa State 14

September 17th, Pittsburgh at Iowa:
Wanny is gone and so is the guy they hired to replace him. Pitt will shift to a 3-4 front, but it's going to be a 'multiple' look defense, where they can shift to a 3-3-5 or a 4-2-5 with the same personnel group...or at least that is what they are hoping to do. They lose key offensive players in RB Dion Lewis (2800 yds last two years) and WR Jon Baldwin (822 yards) but QB Tino Sunseri is back for the Panthers and RB Ray Graham is a home run hitter, but unproven between the tackles. They are also ushering in a new offensive system, moving away from the traditional pro-style attack and going to something more pass happy. Phil Steele picks them to tie for the Big East title, for what that's worth. I am glad this game is at home following the Cy-Hawk series, as a let down factor is always a possibility. The Kinnick faithful will be there to carry the Hawks against one of the better defenses they will face this year. Iowa 24, Pitt 20.

September 24th, Louisiana-Monroe at Iowa: LA-M has posted just two .500 or better seasons since 2001 and they were smoked 135-10 last year by Arkansas, LSU and Auburn. However, this team returns 19 starters including quarterback Kolton Browning, who threw for over 2500 yards last year. They were not a great rushing team in 2010 and they run a spread, up-tempo offense. They were 101 out of 120 in points scored last year and 97th in points allowed, but all of their stats are a bit slanted due to playing three FBS heavyweights. They will play a tough schedule again this year; they open at Florida State then are on the road at TCU the week before they come to Iowa City. Iowa 34, LA-M 17

October 1st, BYE

October 8th, Iowa at Penn State: Iowa has beaten Joe Paterno's Nittany Lions seven out of the last eight meetings. Penn State still has as quarterback quandary (Bolden or McGloin), they have questions on the offensive line for the third season in a row, they also have questions on their defensive line, too. ESPN tabbed both lines as 8th best in the Big Ten during their unit rankings in June. All that being said, Iowa has quite a few questions on defense, too and this is one of the toughest road environments in all of college football. While James Vandenberg has played at The Shoe, which will help, this is going to be a tough out and at some point, Iowa's dominance over Penn State has to taper off, doesn't it? Penn State is at Indiana the week before playing Iowa. Penn State 24, Iowa 17.

September 15th, Northwestern at Iowa: How about that for a back to back? Games against teams where one program has dominated the other in recent years. Northwestern has beaten Iowa in five of their last six meetings and that's too darn many. QB Dan Persa returns as do eight other offensive starters, including leading receiver Jeremy Ebert. They return seven starters from a defense that wasn't very good last year (other than against Iowa). They don't have much of a running game and they'll need one to take some pressure off of Persa. However, Persa might be the perfect fit for this offense; he's simply a witch. He completed more than 75% of his passes last year and he can pick up the killer 3rd and 6 with his feet, too. That being said, the law of averages has to kick in at some point and I just don't want to contemplate another loss at home to the Wildcats. They host Michigan the week before playing Iowa. IOWA 30, Northwestern 27 .

October 22nd, Indiana at Iowa: It's a new coaching regime for the Hoosiers and they have lost a great talent in quarterback Ben Chappell (3300 yds, 25 touchdowns). The Hoosiers were hit hard by running back injuries last year, but Darius Willis should be back in form. They have a great receiver back as well in Damario Belcher. They lose both defensive ends and their top linebacker, plus their secondary was not good in 2010. They are putting in a new offensive system (bye-bye, pistol) and this is a great opponent to schedule for Homecoming. IOWA 41, Indiana 20

October 29th, Iowa at Minnesota: Iowa fans want to forget last year's game at Minnesota. It was cold, and according to Adrian Clayborn right after the contest, the Hawks had 'lost their will to win.' I would guess the coaching staff will remind them of a lot of things along those lines entering this game. It's not going to be as cold, as the game will be in late October. MarQueis Gray is the likely QB, and he is a very good athlete, playing receiver for the Golden Gophers the past two years. Deleon Eskridge returns at running back but they return just two offensive line starters. Six of the front seven return on defense and that is certainly a plus for coach Jerry Kill in his first year. That being said, the bacon returns to Iowa City. Minnesota hosts Nebraska the week before playing Iowa. IOWA 27, Minnesota 20

November 5th, Michigan at Iowa: The Wolverines have scored 56 points against Iowa the past two years, more than any other Big Ten team. They return a boat load of starters, including quarterback Denard Robinson. While they want to move towards a West Coast attack, with more emphasis on man on man blocking to help restore a semblance of a power running game, it's going to be very interesting to see how they use Robinson. I cannot imagine not giving him the chance to run with the ball, given his record setting 2010 (more rushing yards than any QB in FBS history.) In week two last year, Robinson had more yards of total offense than every one of the Top 25 teams put up, total. I think their defense will be improved with the addition of DC Greg Mattison. Then again, a dead cat bounces at least a little bit when you drop it from 10 feet. I think the Wolverines get the Hawks in 2011. Michigan 34, Iowa 24

November 12th, Michigan State at Iowa: Believe it or not, this game will carry a bit of a grudge with it. No, I am not talking about Michigan State's desire to represent better than they did one year ago when it was 30-0 Iowa at halftime, although you can expect them to remember that. The Iowa staff will carry a chip on their shoulder for this one. 2011 commit Darian Cooper had made up his mind to come to Iowa, just before signing day. That's when someone on the MSU staff told Cooper that he might want to reconsider that, as news was going to break that Friday related to Rhabdo that would ultimately lead to the dismissal of some Iowa staff members, or something very near that sort of a tale. Cooper wasn't buying, he signed with Iowa on that Wednesday and two days later, on that 'fateful Friday', all was fine in Iowa City. Expect a little extra pep in the step for this one. Michigan State hosts Minnesota the week before playing Iowa. Iowa 24, MSU 20.

November 19th, Iowa at Purdue: I just have a sneaking hunch that Purdue is going to be a salty team this year. They return four starters on the OL and great numbers in their back seven. The loss of Ryan Kerrigan is going to hurt, but that's about it of note on that side of the ball. They are undecided at quarterback although Rob Henry is a nice dual threat. Getting Ralph Bolden back at RB (knee) will be a boost if he can be as dangerous as he was before his injuries. I just don't like this game as well as where it's played. The Boilermakers host Ohio State the week before playing Iowa. Purdue 27, Iowa 17.

November 26th, Iowa at Nebraska: I sure wish this game would be played at Kinnick as we kick off this rivalry, but that will have to wait a year. By this point in the season, Taylor Martinez will have likely caused Bo Pelini's head to explode and the Huskers will have found another option at quarterback. Their defense is the problem, however, as Jared Crick anchors one of the best units in the nation. Phil Steele ranks their DL #11, LB #9 and Secondary #15 in his unit rankings. Nebraska is at Michigan the week before playing Iowa and at Penn State the week before that, so you never know. Nebraska 24, Iowa 17.

That all adds up to an 8-4 record. I will be making game by game predictions for each Big Ten team, which will then allow me to make Big Ten bowl projections as the month of July rolls along.

I can see Iowa with a best case record of 10-2, and a worst case record of 6-6. It is shaping up to be one of those years in Iowa City...the Hawks are off the national radar and people are betting against them. Several unknowns on a defense that has been so consistent during the Ferentz/Parker era. I think this offense is going to be capable of some damage, with one of the best offensive lines in the nation.

Here are the points per game and points allowed averages based upon my score projections:

Iowa Points Scored: 320 (26.6)
Iowa Points Against: 264 (22.0)

After looking at how those totals turned out, the 22 points per game allowed by an Iowa defense would be the worst such number since 2000. Iowa was rebuilding on the defensive line in 2005, replacing all four starters with a pair of sophomore ends and a pair of freshman tackles and still allowed just 20.0 per game. In 2006, Iowa allowed an average of 20.7. I don't feel comfortable with that high of an average 'prediction' but I didn't go into this with any number in mind and then attempting to reverse engineer it.

On the offensive side of things, I am surprised it turned out that low. I think this team could average 30 points per game due to the strength of the offensive line, a possible dynamic 1-2 punch at receiver, the possible emergence of CJ Fiedorowicz as an offensive weapon at TE and Marcus Coker picking up where he left off last year. James Vandenberg is the big question mark here; if he lives up to my expectations, then Iowa will score more than 26 per game.

OK, now that I am on the record, it's your turn. Make your picks below and we'll revisit this thread on November 27th.

Fitz owns Iowa, and with the deadly combination of our inexperience on defense and Persa coming back, I have a hard time giving Iowa a win against NW.

I hear you on Penn St, but losing by 10 to Purdue, wow. Dree Brees isn't QB anymore I believe

9-3

Solely based on how the schedule sets up. If Iowa loses to Purdue they will beat Nebraska and vice versa if they beat Purdue they will lose to Nebraska.

I hear you on Penn St, but losing by 10 to Purdue, wow. Dree Brees isn't QB anymore I believe

If I had a better feel for how Iowa's defense is going to be, I'd be more inclined to pick a win here and go 9-3. But it's quite a mystery to me.

If I had a better feel for how Iowa's defense is going to be, I'd be more inclined to pick a win here and go 9-3. But it's quite a mystery to me.

Prior to reading your article, I always had 8-4 in my head but I'm going to be optimistic & say 9-3 only because there are unkowns for some other teams to prepare for such as Vandy at QB & Coker at running back. If Vandy has his head on straight prior to the start of the BIG, them may be able to pull off a couple "unexpected" W's in others eyes.

If Iowa can get the new positions on D squared away & control 3rd down success rates, then a 9-3 season is definitely possible.

I posted in another thread a while back I thought Iowa's offensive threshold for points to be successful is going to be 24. So, your predictions of 22 on defense helps support my thoughts. Long gone are Iowa wins of 17-10, 20-17 etc.. Iowa's offense will have to score some points this year while the D gets experience together.

What is nice about Iowa (for the past decade) is that one can look at the schedule & there is never a game where Iowa "has no chance". Iowa now has a chance in every game. They might not win every one, but one can't look at the schedule & mark a sure loss. I believe Deace calls these games a "mow your lawn Saturday" game. We, as fans, should not forget about that. All a fan can ask is that their team has a chance in every game, & KF teams do. :)

Jon, I agree with you on the Penn st. game eventually the Nitny Lions are going to get it right. Now Northwestern, I believe the Black and Gold are finally going to get some payback on the Wildcats and a W in a possible O.T. squeeker. The Wolverines will give the Hawks a tough game but I think after finally taking care of Northwestern at home the confidence level will be high plus getting Michigan in Iowa City the Black and Gold faithful will help carry the Hawkeyes past Big Blue in another tight Hawkeye victory! Iowa just always seem to play Purdue well so I will switch this to a W. Nebraska, I just think the Iowa defence will be playing at a high level by late in the season and the Huskers are going to think they will win just by showing up afterall they are the Mighty Cornhuskers right? Maybe, but not this Thanksgiving weekend the Hawks come into Linclon with a chip on there shoulder and send the Husker faithful home shaking there heads wondering how the lowly Hawkeyes just beat Nebraska! I know that this is on the optimistic side because I believe the games with Northwestern and Michigan are going to be nail biters. The season record could easily be 9-3 or 11-1 as I will fearlessly predict, or as low as 7-5. It is going to be a interesting season that I hope ends in playing Wisconsin in the first Big Ten Conference Championship Game! Hey Badgers. bring the Heartland Trophy with ya' I heard the Bronze Bull don't care much for Madison! That is my prediction and I'am sticking too it! GO HAWKS!!!!

rwtsracefan(Dan Wemett)

As for Iowa always seeming to play Purdue well, I think Iowa has won just once or twice at Ross Ade in the last decade or more

I disagree with the Penn St. prediction. I've seen it written countless times that Iowa has Penn St.'s number just like Northwestern has had Iowa's number. Wrong. Iowa just simply put has better players and currently a better program than Penn St. While the media tries to hold on to this 1980's and early 90's Penn St. program, Iowa's program has passed them by. Iowa has more talent than Penn St. Look at NFL rosters right now. On the flip side Northwestern has had Iowa's number for some odd reason and that reason is not because they have more talent.

With all that said, I'm going 9 and 3 or 10 and 2. Iowa beats both Penn St and Northwestern, but I see a loss to Nebraska and Michigan. Iowa seems to lose a game every year that they shouldn't and I think that will be to Michigan.

Defensively I don't really worry about this team. Iowa has a lot of talent in the fold and with Norm back in charge I think you'll see a defense similar to the 2005 team that had to replace the whole defensive front. They'll do just enough, as I think this offense has great potential. It all rides on how Vandenburg performs.

Just looked it up. It's one win at Purdue since 1991

I agree that the road trip to Purdue could spell trouble. Ross Ade is never an easy place to play plus it's sandwiched in between the Michigan/MSU and Nebraska games. I see a cold dreary day at Ross Ade with a pumped up Purdue team hoping to send their seniors out in style and possibly playing for a bowl game. I smell a trap game

I disagree with the Penn St. prediction. I've seen it written countless times that Iowa has Penn St.'s number just like Northwestern has had Iowa's number. Wrong. Iowa just simply put has better players and currently a better program than Penn St. While the media tries to hold on to this 1980's and early 90's Penn St. program, Iowa's program has passed them by. Iowa has more talent than Penn St. Look at NFL rosters right now. On the flip side Northwestern has had Iowa's number for some odd reason and that reason is not because they have more talent.

With all that said, I'm going 9 and 3 or 10 and 2. Iowa beats both Penn St and Northwestern, but I see a loss to Nebraska and Michigan. Iowa seems to lose a game every year that they shouldn't and I think that will be to Michigan.

Defensively I don't really worry about this team. Iowa has a lot of talent in the fold and with Norm back in charge I think you'll see a defense similar to the 2005 team that had to replace the whole defensive front. They'll do just enough, as I think this offense has great potential. It all rides on how Vandenburg performs.

The reason is simply Northwestern's offensive spread scheme they run & it's a match-up whore for Iowa's D. It's just a match-up problem & under Fitz, they now back a formidable D to keep games close.

I can't see Iowa losing to Michigan at home under a new coach and new system being in put in place there. Iowa should be gelling together by then as well.

My concerns for this team will be when they go on the road. Vandy only looked good 1 out of 3 games at QB.....and if OSU blitzs him more......I think OSU wins pretty easily. That said, we should have beat OSU in the shoe.

I can certainly see Vandy going through some lumps on the road. ISU and PSU will be rabid (we will see if they can actually bite), we have struggled at Purdue, Minny did get us last year, and Big Red will be CRAZY for us.

I would expect Iowa to be strong at home and struggle on the road.

My concerns for this team will be when they go on the road. Vandy only looked good 1 out of 3 games at QB.....and if OSU blitzs him more......I think OSU wins pretty easily. That said, we should have beat OSU in the shoe.

Which is why I have Iowa losing just one home game, and three on the road.

Probably unfair for us to put too much (good or bad) on what we saw of Vandy in 2009, but he showed stones vs OSU, the kind of stuff you either have or you dont. Agree that OSU made it easier for him, and MN blitzed all game long.

Also re: new system at Michigan; it will be an easier system to incorporate, IMO.

I think it's too early to predict an entire season. I would wait until after the OOC schedule to say how Iowa will do in the Big Ten.

Right now I say anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2/11-1. Just really depends on the D and there is no way for anyone to know how the Defense is going to hold up.

I think it's too early to predict an entire season. I would wait until after the OOC schedule to say how Iowa will do in the Big Ten.

Right now I say anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2/11-1. Just really depends on the D and there is no way for anyone to know how the Defense is going to hold up.

LMAO! Way to go out on a limb. You forgot 6-6. :D

My prediction is 10-2, with close losses at PSU and Nebraska.(In fact, those may be the only two games that we are underdogs going into the season.) We will be better than the "outside media" thinks we will be. Miller picked 8-4, as I predicted he would awhile ago. Looks like he's buying what Steele and the others are selling. Hope they are wrong. I think we will have a very good offense and an adequate defense.

Latest posts