Hlas: "Iowa fans love the NIT"

Could also be due to the fact that Iowa will most likely get but 1 home game. If we were a #1 seed more folks may skip this first round and plan to attend one of the next games.

Lot of great thoughts in this thread. It also can't hurt our recruiting if we make a run in this thing. Besides next years expectations, that is the number one thing Im looking forward to over the off season. Fran has brought in very good players, I would like to think if I was a recruit I'd be impressed with a fan base so loyal to it's team. With us struggling for so many years..it's plain to see how hungry Iowa fans are for success and how much we care. That's why being an Iowa fan is so special

There's also just something fun about following a program on the rise. With a young team like this losses still hurt but they're still learning experiences, expectations aren't that high yet, it's fun to watch them learn to play together and compete with the big boys. Once a peak has been reached in the program and the expectations are raised, it's a different experience. Wins are expected, losses hurt more.

The 7-5 football season in 2001 was one I enjoyed as you could tell Iowa was getting close, fast forward a few years and a 7-6 season in 2005 after three straight top ten finishes was now a huge disappointment.

Thank you Debby Downer.

No downer at all, it is just the truth. Had we won a national title last year like someone, we would be lucky to sell 5K to an NIT game.

We are clearly on the upswing. All I have to say is, Get Ready For the BOOM!!
graph1.gif

NIT apathy covers all but Iowa, Robert Morris | TheGazette

Personally, I think it's more the fact that Iowa fans are supporting their basketball team, not that they enjoy watching a second rate postseason tournament.
I think it speak volumes that Iowa is able to sell over 15,000 tickets to an NIT game - that's amazing support from a fanbase that was raked through the mud for such a long time.

If that was the case, other games would have been sold out and they weren't.

This game is sold out because they are giving tickets away at that price and b/c Iowa fans really do love the NIT.

I think many that didnt have the chance to attend during week nights due to their own kid's basketball games, etc.....now have a chance to go since that is now over. There is absolutely nothing else going on right now

I think many that didnt have the chance to attend during week nights due to their own kid's basketball games, etc.....now have a chance to go since that is now over. There is absolutely nothing else going on right now

SpringBreak for many as well.

When we played Illinois and were still on the bubble, it wasn't sold out. Don't tell me this is sold out b/c fans are supporting the team. That's false. We are giving them away by pricing them to where most can afford it.

I think they LITERALLY gave away tickets and hotdogs when Lick was coach and still could only get 7K in the stands. If you choose to poopoo everything, that is fine, but it doesn't make it true. Sure there are circumstances that work in favor of more butts in the seats, but the largest one is that fans appreciate/love this team and coach.

When we played Illinois and were still on the bubble, it wasn't sold out. Don't tell me this is sold out b/c fans are supporting the team. That's false. We are giving them away by pricing them to where most can afford it.

Meh, the loss at Nebby wrecked any chance the Illinois game had of selling out.

Home game against Minny was a sellout when the bubble talk was really starting to heat up, at least amongst Iowa fans.

(1) Iowans love the Hawkeyes more than entire states love other schools. Other schools have good fans, but it is a rarity to have an entire state population with the level of dedication to a school that Iowa has for the Hawkeyes.

(2) We grew up with good, exciting basketball. Iowa basketball added to our lives, made them better. Losing that over the Lick years, and to a lesser extent over the Alford years, was like having a good friend move away. There was an emptiness--a void--in our lives where something that once was special to some and sacred to others used to be, but was no more. The void was discernible, almost tangible. You could feel its presence when you talked to fellow Hawkeye fans, when you watched games, when you read the sports page, and, sometimes, when you were all alone, far removed from basketball season, Carver, or anything related to Iowa basketball. Nobody had to acknowledge the emptiness to know that it was there. Our world wasn't how it was supposed to be and we wanted so badly for things to be the way they used to be. We missed "Iowa basketball" as we knew it to be.

(3) We are close to getting Iowa basketball--as we knew it to be--back, and we will provide as much support as is necessary to get it back. For the first time in what seems to be an eternity, we have hope.

(1) Iowans love the Hawkeyes more than entire states love other schools. Other schools have good fans, but it is a rarity to have an entire state population with the level of dedication to a school that Iowa has for the Hawkeyes.

You just sent out the Cyclone equivalent to the bat signal with this comment.

I would lock your doors.

Mike posed a really good question to me on Twitter, though.

"But why don't other fans love their NIT teams?"

I think there a lot of variables:
- Years and years of awful Iowa Basketball.
- Other NIT teams have pro teams in the area that they follow.
- Lower expectations for Iowa than say, Kentucky or Tennessee.

But the point remains, why do Iowa fans support their NIT team while others can't even fill their gym 1/3 of the way?

there is nothing else to do in Iowa during this time of year.

Latest posts