Hill"s speed

emmitt smith 4.6 40.

not saying, but just saying.
images

I have read on message boards that Hill lacks speed. If I remember correctly he ran on at least one relay team that won state.

This may be, but his choice of schools indicates his lack of on-field velocity.

Fast players don't come to Iowa.

:eek:

Was he anything special? No. But he was above-average, more than serviceable in the Big Ten. Dude was averaging just over 100 ypg and scored 10 TD before his concussion. He was the offensive MVP through the first 8 games.

He averaged less than 100 YPG and at 4.6 YPC he had the lowest YPC of any of the top 10 yardage rushers in the conference BY FAR! The only reason he was serviceable was because Iowa had nothing else! Really is amazing how myopic Hawk fans are sometimes. It isn't that hard to take a look beyond Iowa stats to get some clarity.

He averaged less than 100 YPG and at 4.6 YPC he had the lowest YPC of any of the top 10 yardage rushers in the conference BY FAR! The only reason he was serviceable was because Iowa had nothing else! Really is amazing how myopic Hawk fans are sometimes. It isn't that hard to take a look beyond Iowa stats to get some clarity.

You bring this up constantly, but you refuse to look at other factors. Iowa has never avg. much per carry. They consistently run into 8 man fronts, and play ball control....this is the way they do it. Greene is about the only RB over the last 10 years to avg. more than 5 YPC. Albert Young only had one year over 5 YPC, and that was his SO year at 5.4. Simms had a couple years at 5.0 even. Freddie Russell had that 2002 year where he had like 5.7 YPC, but the next year 4.8 YPC even though he had more yardage in 2003.

I'm not sure why you think that historically Iowa has guys busting over 5 YPC averages. Look at the last 10 years and you will find that our leading rusher only avg 5 YPC or more in 3 of the last 10 years (2008, 2005, 2002).

It is really amazing how myopic CAAR can be on this site. It isn't hard to look at the last 10 years, and see that 4.6-4.9 YPC out of our leading rusher is more typical than over 5 YPC guys are.

You bring this up constantly, but you refuse to look at other factors. Iowa has never avg. much per carry. They consistently run into 8 man fronts, and play ball control....this is the way they do it. Greene is about the only RB over the last 10 years to avg. more than 5 YPC. Albert Young only had one year over 5 YPC, and that was his SO year at 5.4. Simms had a couple years at 5.0 even. Freddie Russell had that 2002 year where he had like 5.7 YPC, but the next year 4.8 YPC even though he had more yardage in 2003.

I'm not sure why you think that historically Iowa has guys busting over 5 YPC averages. Look at the last 10 years and you will find that our leading rusher only avg 5 YPC or more in 3 of the last 10 years (2008, 2005, 2002).

It is really amazing how myopic CAAR can be on this site. It isn't hard to look at the last 10 years, and see that 4.6-4.9 YPC out of our leading rusher is more typical than over 5 YPC guys are.

and others, but agree totally.

and how short some people's memories are.

You bring this up constantly, but you refuse to look at other factors. Iowa has never avg. much per carry. They consistently run into 8 man fronts, and play ball control....this is the way they do it. Greene is about the only RB over the last 10 years to avg. more than 5 YPC. Albert Young only had one year over 5 YPC, and that was his SO year at 5.4. Simms had a couple years at 5.0 even. Freddie Russell had that 2002 year where he had like 5.7 YPC, but the next year 4.8 YPC even though he had more yardage in 2003. I'm not sure why you think that historically Iowa has guys busting over 5 YPC averages. Look at the last 10 years and you will find that our leading rusher only avg 5 YPC or more in 3 of the last 10 years (2008, 2005, 2002). It is really amazing how myopic CAAR can be on this site. It isn't hard to look at the last 10 years, and see that 4.6-4.9 YPC out of our leading rusher is more typical than over 5 YPC guys are.

That says more about our lack of quality rbs over the last ten years than it does about our system. There is SG and thats about it.

AY was never close to the same guy he was after the acl and broken leg. Freddy played behind the best college o line in the last ten years. Coker lacked a top gear. Lewis couldn't stay healthy.

The fact we've been able to run the ball as consistently as we have is nothing short of amazing really, and its a tribute to our system.

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is a reason Iowa has only had two backs play int the NFL since KF took over and one was here when he got here.

And, oh yeah, I don't count Young.

Seriously, Iowa is a running team that consistently sends linemen to the league and they can't come up with pro backs?

Couldn't have said it better myself. There is a reason Iowa has only had two backs play int the NFL since KF took over and one was here when he got here.

And, oh yeah, I don't count Young.

Seriously, Iowa is a running team that consistently sends linemen to the league and they can't come up with pro backs?

why don't you count young? he's still getting paid.

With all the talent Iowa has had at the offensive line position I can't believe Iowa cannot make any average running back look good. All to often we have seen Coker & Robinson run right into tackles where the hole is supposed to be and not have the vision to see the wide open space on the outside. You can have NFL talent at every position on the offensive line but when you constantly run into 8 man fronts your running back has to be able to make the cut.

Your never going to be more than an average running back if you can't out run people in the open field. Adam Robinson, and Coker are prime examples.

Yes you need acceleration, balance vision and power, but you do need speed to run away from people once you have found daylight.

The funny thing is people around here place way to much emphasis on speed at the receiver position but downplay it at RB.

There are far more examples of elite receivers without great speed than there are great running backs without breakaway speed.

Your never going to be more than an average running back if you can't out run people in the open field. Adam Robinson, and Coker are prime examples.

Yes you need acceleration, balance vision and power, but you do need speed to run away from people once you have found daylight.

The funny thing is people around here place way to much emphasis on speed at the receiver position but downplay it at RB.

There are far more examples of elite receivers without great speed than there are great running backs without breakaway speed.

At least when it comes to the NFL I disagree. Speed can definitely be overrated at RB. Vision and just pure athleticism are at least 2/3rds of what it takes to make a great back. But no, in Division one 4.9 is still too slow, I think it was just a bad run if that is real.

I didn't really have a problem with Robinson my self, he moved the chains pretty well and was pretty consistent even in high pressure situations. I was getting frustrated with Coker with his hesitation and poor vision that showed from time to time.

A rob isn't even a scholarship athlete at five other bten schools, six if you count NE.

That's over half the conference that would take him then, dummy.

Iowa's roster is littered with players year after year that would never get an offer at half of the other conference schools, many of them featured prominently in contributing roles.

You're an idiot.

Last edited: