High School Playoffs

Anyone have a scouting report on Remsen Saint Mary’s in 8 man?
Yeah. They're really fucking good.

They're right in my backyard and I know most of the coaches. Like most parochial schools they unfairly have a recruiting base spread out 40+ miles in each direction.

Ortman is their QB, he throws a ton and runs himself a ton. Brenden Fisch is their main RB, pretty much all their rushing is going to be those two. Like baseball, they're super heavy in the senior and sophomore classes, they only have 3 juniors on their entire roster who don't play much, the rest are all seniors and sophomores. Watch out when these sophomores become seniors, because they're even better.

They also go for 2 a lot. I'd say a third of the time they go for 2, which would be even more if they weren't up by 30 or 40 on opponents. Like baseball again, they like to put their feet on the gas and get games over with asap.

Yeah. They're really fucking good.

They're right in my backyard and I know most of the coaches. Like most parochial schools they unfairly have a recruiting base spread out 40+ miles in each direction.

Ortman is their QB, he throws a ton and runs himself a ton. Brenden Fisch is their main RB, pretty much all their rushing is going to be those two. Like baseball, they're super heavy in the senior and sophomore classes, they only have 3 juniors on their entire roster who don't play much, the rest are all seniors and sophomores. Watch out when these sophomores become seniors, because they're even better.

They also go for two alot. I'd say a third of the time they go for 2, which would be even more if they weren't up by 30 or 40 on opponents. Like baseball again, they like to put their feet on the gas and get games over with asap.
Went to an 8 man game in Iowa in late Sept. I was really surprised. Our local school is a top ranked IL team with 1100 students. There were 4 players on 1 team and at least 2 on the other that were equal to or better than anyone of the field for the local school. Was surprising to me. They even attempted a 50 yard FG that was easily hit before the game.

St Mary's must have a pretty good D as well. They crushed NF which is also in the semis. Know anything about Newell Fonda?

8 man is terrible in IL. IL doesn't have a lot of really small schools like Iowa has though.

Going to have another West Hancock vs Grundy Center championship in Class A. Wonder if GC can pull it off this year? They got screwed on a bad call last year on the one yard line that kept them from getting the play off.

What I want to know is where are schools like Britt getting a steady influx of players? The northwestern quadrant of Iowa is not an area with exploding population, and hasn't been for years.

Going to have another West Hancock vs Grundy Center championship in Class A. Wonder if GC can pull it off this year? They got screwed on a bad call last year on the one yard line that kept them from getting the play off.
They didn't get screwed. I have 2 good friends that had kids on the team and he said the same. They had to wait 1 second, according to the rules, to snap the ball which they didn't and they would've been called for an illegal snap. Even if they would've been allowed to snap it, the RT, LT slot receiver, and possibly others weren't set when they snapped the ball and they didn't have 7 guys on the LOS. Would've been called for some sort of a penalty which would've ended the game. It was just a mess. The GC kids thought it was over and didn't get in position to run another play. Even if they would've gotten the play off, they still had one play to score from the 8. Not a guarantee they'd have scored.

Having said that, GC has the best lines they've had by far and nowhere near the skill players they've had and I think they'll win. It shows that having good lines can win you a lot of games.

What I want to know is where are schools like Britt getting a steady influx of players? The northwestern quadrant of Iowa is not an area with exploding population, and hasn't been for years.
Depends on where you are in NW Iowa. Orange city, Sioux Center, Rock Valley areas...definitely exploding.

Another part of it is culture. West Lyon, where a lot of Hawk players have come from has a whole lot less enrollment than my school, but twice the number of football players. When you have a winning tradition and a history of players going D1 and beyond good things happen

Watching West Hancock today, their OL is amazing. Their hand placement, angles, etc. are perfect. The are incredible at the way they block the edge and 2nd level. I don't know how much it is about their population, etc. it's about what Fry said, a winning tradition, knowing that they can do it because the guys before them did it, and being coachable, even when you've won 25 straight. You can't get enough of it.

Watching West Hancock today, their OL is amazing. Their hand placement, angles, etc. are perfect. The are incredible at the way they block the edge and 2nd level. I don't know how much it is about their population, etc. it's about what Fry said, a winning tradition, knowing that they can do it because the guys before them did it, and being coachable, even when you've won 25 straight. You can't get enough of it.
I grew up in Hampton.....Britt was relatively close to us, and so was Grundy Center. Those two have been on a collision course all year and are set to repeat last year's championship game. My high school football coach, Larry Burnett, starting his coaching career in Grundy Center before moving to Hampton.

In 1973, Britt had an all stater on their championship team named Bob Sweers. This was when only four teams made the playoffs from the then four-class system.

Also, during that time, Britt was a powerhouse wrestling school....John and Brent Hagen, Cliff Howlett (he ended up coaching in Hampton), Mark Stevenson among others ran amuck for several years in Des Moines. Bob Steenlage was Iowa's first 4-time state champ. Britt has had 31 state champs.

Last edited:

Latest posts