Hey Jon: Is it OK to say

Obviously some of you don't care for Steve Carell, but I stand by my original point - which is any show requiring anything beyond a minimal level of intellectual engagement will get crushed in the ratings by "Situational Comedy #1427":

Mom, can I get a ride to the mall?

Agaaaaain?

(Cue laff track)

(Pan to talking dog)

Good grief...

(Puts paw over eyes; wild applause; fade to commercial)

Obviously some of you don't care for Steve Carell, but I stand by my original point - which is any show requiring anything beyond a minimal level of intellectual engagement will get crushed in the ratings by "Situational Comedy #1427":

Agaaaaain?

(Cue laff track)

(Pan to talking dog)

Good grief...

Now in the lead for Post of the Month, and BIG possible for Post of the Year.

Oh don't get your panties in a wad. TV and cinema is as non PC as ever. This is a word considered offensive by the target group. Doesn't matter what a bunch of white boys in Iowa think. It matters what the Injuns think. It's like if you called me a Kraut. That'd be offensive. Now I wouldn't care cuz I has the thick skin, and nobody would say it anyway cuz they'd assume I'd prolly pound the Shiite out of them, but I digress...it's an apt comparison.

Oh, I can see the troll planting his seeds, hoping and praying someone comes along and takes the bait.

Anyway, when I get my Scandinavian American Preservation Society (SAPS) off the ground, we're going after the Vikings, but I ain't stopping there, I'll push for the removal of all team names and mascots based on people because they may offend someone. Every team should be like Stanford, named after a color with a tree for the mascot.

The gradual decline of good comedies is very obvious as of late. It is really hard to find a good old funny movie. The average comedy now has to revolve around pot, beer, fart jokes, and wieners. Pure high school comedy. The stuff if terrible. Now with that said, I have to admit The Office was a mediocre show at best. People didn't like it because they were not smart enough to get it, they just didn't like it.

Oh don't get your panties in a wad. TV and cinema is as non PC as ever. This is a word considered offensive by the target group. Doesn't matter what a bunch of white boys in Iowa think. It matters what the Injuns think. It's like if you called me a Kraut. That'd be offensive. Now I wouldn't care cuz I has the thick skin, and nobody would say it anyway cuz they'd assume I'd prolly pound the Shiite out of them, but I digress...it's an apt comparison.

Must be some fragile fellas in here giving you the thumb down. This honky has no problem though.

Agaaaaain?

(Cue laff track)

(Pan to talking dog)

Good grief...

You left out shallow predictable double entendre

Must be some fragile fellas in here giving you the thumb down. This honky has no problem though.

Which reminds me of my favorite honky, who happens to be the greatest Intercontinental Heavyweight Champion of all time.

Honky-Tonk-Man-2.jpg

The gradual decline of good comedies is very obvious as of late. It is really hard to find a good old funny movie. The average comedy now has to revolve around pot, beer, fart jokes, and wieners. Pure high school comedy. The stuff if terrible. Now with that said, I have to admit The Office was a mediocre show at best. People didn't like it because they were not smart enough to get it, they just didn't like it.

Sunny in Philadelphia is the best comedy on TV, hands down. I liked the Office, but it was mostly due to the capital the show built up in the 2nd season which was clearly the best, and gradual decline from there.

As for TV in general, I don't understand how anyone can watch network shows. My goodness they are terrible. IF you like the Big Bang theory, that is fine, but you are wrong and I hate you. And don't get me started on the "dramas" of network TV. Frikkin AWFUL. Which reminds me, Homeland starts Sunday, and my favorite recent show, Ray Donovan just wrapped a season. That is what good TV looks like for those that watch CSI: Tulsa.

Last edited:
Sunny in Philadelphia is the best comedy on TV, hands down. I liked the Office, but it was mostly due to the capital the show built up in the 2nd season which was clearly the best, and gradual decline from there.

As for TV in general, I don't understand how anyone can watch network shows. My goodness they are terrible. IF you like the Big Bang theory, that is fine, but you are wrong and I hate you. And don't get me started on the "dramas" of network TV. Frikkin AWFUL. Which reminds me, Homeland starts Sunday, and my favorite recent show, Ray Donovan just wrapped a season. That is what good TV looks like for those that watch CSI: Tulsa.

Cosign.

The premium channels (HBO, Showtime et al) and the high-quality cables (A&E) have completely shredded the networks.

Mah wife likes "Modern Family," and while it's admittedly quite witty, it's nothing groundbreaking. Seinfeld is still the gold standard for TV comedy. Buncha cracker-@$$ crackers.

Agaaaaain?

(Cue laff track)

(Pan to talking dog)

Good grief...

This was good. You are much funnier than Steve Carell.

Agreed, except you left out the most obvious and overused plot and/or punchline--sexual intercourse.

Cosign.

The premium channels (HBO, Showtime et al) and the high-quality cables (A&E) have completely shredded the networks.

Mah wife likes "Modern Family," and while it's admittedly quite witty, it's nothing groundbreaking. Seinfeld is still the gold standard for TV comedy. Buncha cracker-@$$ crackers.

Seinfeld pre-Larry-David-departure has yet to be touched by any other sitcom.

Seinfeld post-Larry-David-departure really wasn't great. I still watched every single episode, but it wasn't the same.

Seinfeld pre-Larry-David-departure has yet to be touched by any other sitcom.

Seinfeld post-Larry-David-departure really wasn't great. I still watched every single episode, but it wasn't the same.

No way. Season 8 and 9 were absolutely HILARIOUS except for the finale. They were different, as they were more goofy, but I just looked at the episode list of those two seasons and they are all classics.

Blazing Saddles = satire. It indeed could not be made today, but not because of political correctness, but rather the sorry state of the American public's IQ.

Same reason The Office never really got very high ratings - the average American TV viewer barely has the IQ to keep the drool inside their mouth, let alone grasp that 1/2 the characters on that show were written to be laughed at, not with.

I firmly believe that if everyone who watched Big Bang Theory and/or 2.5 Men were killed the average American IQ would double.

I'm pretty old school but I firmly believe All in the Family would be a huge hit in this politically correct, backwards world.

Sonic commercials are more witty than today's network sitcoms.

Sonic commercials make you realize one thing. (Apparently written by the high school employees at Sonic)

Isn't America great?

'Murica ! Exceptional ///

end of transmission..........

Hold it............GO HAWKS

Oh, I can see the troll planting his seeds, hoping and praying someone comes along and takes the bait.

Anyway, when I get my Scandinavian American Preservation Society (SAPS) off the ground, we're going after the Vikings, but I ain't stopping there, I'll push for the removal of all team names and mascots based on people because they may offend someone. Every team should be like Stanford, named after a color with a tree for the mascot.
Might have to go the way of airport security checks. Check every 10th (you fill in the number) person... No one is upset if the gov't/airport security establishment discrimiates against a number, do they? We could rename Iowa sports teams the Thirteens... You realize Iowa is/was named after an Indian tribe... But then there'd be that group who has a phobia against the number 13 and protest discrimination so Thirteen is probably out as a team name.... I think it's called trictadecaphobia <sic>?
EDIT: boy, was I way off, it's spelled:triskaidekaphobia.

Last edited:

Latest posts