Hey, 8-4 is a good consol...

Our line, has shown they can't cleanly implement the zone blocking scheme. A good coach would adapt to his personnel but we know we don't have good coaches. We all know that Wadley should have been given the ball in space--this could mean working him out of the backfield, in the slot, etc. Again, a good coach would have built this in to the system knowing we had Butler. Butler should have been used like Daniels was last year imo. Then you've got two dangerous playmakers on the field. Use Young or IKM as your spell players. Quite simple.

I so agree and if you outflank with passes to Wadley or IKM the defense has to move guys out of the box, and this should open the straight ahead running and take safeties off wide receivers.

I dont think it is rocket science and like you said good coaching would have used stuff like this to game plan plays that work.

Hayden Fry had two 8-4 Rose bowl years.

A little apples to oranges comparison. Ten teams in the league back then and each team played 8 of the other 9 so they beat up on each other. Now very unbalanced schedules like Iowa having PSU, OSU, MSU this year and a top 10 toughest schedule vs, Wisky not and Michigan is not that tough.

I think Hayden's first Rose Bowl team may have lost to ISU to account for one of those losses.

Just curious how all of those "8-4 is a great consolation prize...everything is fine...Hawkeye football is trending up" guys are? Y'all ran through here this week and trashed those of us, who apparently were way out in front of you on this hot garbage. You really think Iowa is going to go INTO Lincoln and beat Nebby? They put up 40 points yesterday on Penn St. our "offense" put up one touchdown in the past two games. And we lost to Purdue at home.

8-4 teams are usually pretty solid. They usually play good defense and they can score on most defenses.

This Iowa team is a one legged man in a kick fight. This Iowa team may well finish 8-4 but the offense is MIA.

Last years' 8-4 ended on a high in November but it wasn't all that pretty. CJB was injured, he had no time to throw the ball, the passing game was a mess.. Last year's 8-4 team at least had some semblance of consistency - the running game.

At Iowa 8-4 can be ok but it can also be hollow and unsasifying

Iowa is becoming a poster child for the Big Ten west. - That is to say the Big Ten West as it is known outside of the Big Ten.

Oh so this is basically a Rose Bowl year. Well thank you. Now everything is fine and we're magically relevant again.
I'll take the 18 ounce glass please. It's right next to your 64 ounce mug of cherrypicking kool-aid

I didn't say any of this. I just said 2 of Hayden's Rose Bowl teams were 8-4, because they were.

8-4 teams are usually pretty solid. They usually play good defense and they can score on most defenses.

This Iowa team is a one legged man in a kick fight. This Iowa team may well finish 8-4 but the offense is MIA.

Last years' 8-4 ended on a high in November but it wasn't all that pretty. CJB was injured, he had no time to throw the ball, the passing game was a mess.. Last year's 8-4 team at least had some semblance of consistency - the running game.

At Iowa 8-4 can be ok but it can also be hollow and unsasifying

Iowa is becoming a poster child for the Big Ten west. - That is to say the Big Ten West as it is known outside of the Big Ten.
Technically we can't finish 8-4 since we've already lost 5.

This thread is about 8-4 records, try to stay on topic.
I guess after your boys laid an egg like yesterday there's not much more for you to say. Feel for you man...keep your head though, the Ferentz gents will still be here next year so you've got that to look forward to. Maybe next year we improve to 105 in the nation in total offense?

8-4 last year = total dud. Their schedule was a joke and to top that off they played a team in their bowl game that is almost as inept as Iowa on offense and still lost

8-4 this year would have been decent. Nothing to write home about because the B1G West is the softest division in the P5 but Iowa played 3 good east teams and ISU turned out to be good.

I guess after your boys laid an egg like yesterday there's not much more for you to say. Feel for you man...keep your head though, the Ferentz gents will still be here next year so you've got that to look forward to. Maybe next year we improve to 105 in the nation in total offense?

My boys are the Iowa Hawkeyes. I see you are strutting like the cock of the walk after Iowa lost, you seem to really shine around here with the Hawks lose.

8-4 last year = total dud. Their schedule was a joke and to top that off they played a team in their bowl game that is almost as inept as Iowa on offense and still lost

8-4 this year would have been decent. Nothing to write home about because the B1G West is the softest division in the P5 but Iowa played 3 good east teams and ISU turned out to be good.

Last year was 8-5, with a nationally televised embarrassment.

And you know your program is on the wrong path when you can't rely on simple wins/losses to determine excellence. Instead everything has to be "qualified" with excuses and moral victories factored in.

My boys are the Iowa Hawkeyes. I see you are strutting like the cock of the walk after Iowa lost, you seem to really shine around here with the Hawks lose.
Nope. You know who your boys are. Someone who harps on execution as much as you do..lol. Not strutting around here, I'm as disappointed as anybody but I expected this given what we've seen from this coaching staff. You and the rest of the FFC seemed to have been strutting as much as anybody else this past week screaming about 8-4 consolation prizes. If I'm not mistaken the majority of posts on this board the past two days have been from folks who are genuinely concerned about the direction of Iowa football. For you to come on here and chastise everybody for being pissed off about losing at home to Purdue is laughable. Don't question my loyalty to the TEAM when all you're concerned about is defending the indefensible -- this inept coaching staff.

Nope. You know who your boys are. Someone who harps on execution as much as you do..lol. Not strutting around here, I'm as disappointed as anybody but I expected this given what we've seen from this coaching staff. You and the rest of the FFC seemed to have been strutting as much as anybody else this past week screaming about 8-4 consolation prizes. If I'm not mistaken the majority of posts on this board the past two days have been from folks who are genuinely concerned about the direction of Iowa football. For you to come on here and chastise everybody for being pissed off about losing at home to Purdue is laughable. Don't question my loyalty to the TEAM when all you're concerned about is defending the indefensible -- this inept coaching staff.

Where did I chastise anyone? Did you think the players executed well vs Purdue?

You are insane if you think you are more upset than me about the Purdue game.

I simply posted Hayden had a couple 8-4 teams, why does this upset you so much?

Where did I chastise anyone? Did you think the players executed well vs Purdue?

You are insane if you think you are more upset than me about the Purdue game.

I simply posted Hayden had a couple 8-4 teams, why does this upset you so much?
Not upset...didn't even mention it...why are you projecting?

Again, execution is partly (maybe even largely) a function of coaching and putting players in good positions to make a positive play. If your offense can't overcome a few dropped passes, then that's not execution problems...that's a coaching problem. Agreed that dropped passes are a problem. So Purdue didn't have any miscues on offense yesterday? Wisconsin didn't have any miscues on offense when they played us?

Can't punt the ball more than 30 yards? Yes it's because we have bad punters but who recruited these guys and what do they work with them on in practice? I would almost guarantee you we could hold an open tryout on UI campus for a punter and find someone (probably multiple folks) that could kick better than these two kids. Hell...let's get a couple of soccer players out there. This isn't difficult but when your coaching staff is booty, it becomes very complex.

Not upset...didn't even mention it...why are you projecting?

Again, execution is partly (maybe even largely) a function of coaching and putting players in good positions to make a positive play. If your offense can't overcome a few dropped passes, then that's not execution problems...that's a coaching problem. Agreed that dropped passes are a problem. So Purdue didn't have any miscues on offense yesterday? Wisconsin didn't have any miscues on offense when they played us?

Can't punt the ball more than 30 yards? Yes it's because we have bad punters but who recruited these guys and what do they work with them on in practice? I would almost guarantee you we could hold an open tryout on UI campus for a punter and find someone (probably multiple folks) that could kick better than these two kids. Hell...let's get a couple of soccer players out there. This isn't difficult but when your coaching staff is booty, it becomes very complex.

I simply posted Hayden Fry had a couple 8-4 Rose Bowl teams, and you responded like this. Talk about projecting!

Hey look the FFC has shown up. Welcome! Tell us how awesome Kirk and sons are doing...and what a riveting performance we all missed yesterday.

Latest posts