Hey, 8-4 is a good consol...

OkstHawk

Just curious how all of those "8-4 is a great consolation prize...everything is fine...Hawkeye football is trending up" guys are? Y'all ran through here this week and trashed those of us, who apparently were way out in front of you on this hot garbage. You really think Iowa is going to go INTO Lincoln and beat Nebby? They put up 40 points yesterday on Penn St. our "offense" put up one touchdown in the past two games. And we lost to Purdue at home.

8-4 is a good season at Iowa. not a great season. but, as we now know, we ain't gonna get there this season.

Not shocked if this crew takes us to the 6-6 promise land.

what is not being discussed is that but for a once in a lifetime (how the hell did that even happen) win over OSU, we're starring 5-7 right in the face. That means, 2-7 in the B1G after a 3-0 start.

I agree and I was hoping for 8-4. I thought Wisky's Dee just befuddled Iowa's offense and they would come around yesterday. But I was never counting on 8-4 as a sure thing.

But we finally have the evidence that the offense cannot handle the 8+ men in the box and blitzing.

Going forward we will see if they can score vs a bad Nebby team.

Not shocked if this crew takes us to the 6-6 promise land.

Also to answer your question I was hoping for 8-4 against a top 10 toughest schedule which is not bad. Aint going to happen now and what really bothers me the most is what I see are some basic bad coaching decisions yesterday about KF which I put in my Terrible Coaching thread. And I am not even discussing yet how poorly I think BF has used Akrum Wadley this year in the passing game. I will have to watch the reply but the first two passes of the games by the hawks Wadley was wide open in front of us in the stadium but Nate threw tougher throws that missed.

8-4 = 66.66%. On most grading scales, that = D+. Is that "good" to you? Many the 8's were simply True or False "tests."

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, balanced. i was responding to another posting who stated that there are fans that think 8-4 at Iowa is a "great" season. It isn't a great season. It's a good season. As for your %, winning % in football...if you win 2 out of 3, that generally is a good %.

I agree and I was hoping for 8-4. I thought Wisky's Dee just befuddled Iowa's offense and they would come around yesterday. But I was never counting on 8-4 as a sure thing.

But we finally have the evidence that the offense cannot handle the 8+ men in the box and blitzing.

Took us all season to figure out you can't run with 8/9 in the box. A bunch of us have been saying it for weeks. Sad that a D1 OC didn't get this sooner than now (if he even understands it now).

Took us all season to figure out you can't run with 8/9 in the box. A bunch of us have been saying it for weeks. Sad that a D1 OC didn't get this sooner than now (if he even understands it now).

Oh I agree with you totally, that is why the pass on first down 75% of the time against OSU worked so well. OSU is an outlier since they played us straight up with a 4 man rush. And the fact that we have struggled offensively against every team other that OSU proves the point. I think OC BF tried to run horizontal sweeps way too much when early on we found out the blocking was overmatched against so many defenders.

I think many of us were hoping for Wadley in the slot most of the time (which might be his use in the pros). I think Wadley was not used well. I think with Wadley in the slot or Wadley and Butler/Young in the backfield at the same time could have worked better with Butler and Young power running behind straight ahead blocking.

Yesterday I again saw a big difference between the running game results in straight ahead power running vs running the wide sweep or outside zone. The more straight ahead power rushing was getting decent 4-6 yard gains while going wide all year long has been a bust.

I just wanted to get your opinion on how we used Wadley and maybe using Butler and Young with straight ahead power blocking as battering rams to pound on and tire out the defense.

To the OP: Last week, I felt an 8-4 finish looked pretty good. I certainly never "thrashed" anyone for thinking otherwise. To do so would have ignored a fairly obvious point: success for Iowa's offense has been a fickle thing.

To repeat (from last week), our inability to deal with blitz pressure is our main problem.

8-4 is now a pipe-dream. And the best case scenario - an 8-5 finish after a win in Detroit-- is disappointing.

More so, in light of the fact our head coach and offensive coach are regarded as developers of offensive line play, the performance v. Purdue makes the current state of affairs utterly disappointing. I find no redemption in possible (though, no longer, probable) wins at Nebraska and in Detroit.

Recruiting wise, I still see many gems possibly coming into this program. But as a game-watcher, I've moved on to next year. Basketball schedule, please.

It is a sad footnote that the Iowa-Nebraska series never formed into the Black Friday rivalry it should have.

This offense has looked bad all year outside of part of the ISU game, part of the Illinois game, which Illinois is way worse than even Purdue. OSU didn't even show up, that is the only explanation for that. Otherwise the offense is just plain terrible. Anybody that thought we somehow had the light come on after the OSU game is living in unicorn land.

To the OP: Last week, I felt an 8-4 finish looked pretty good. I certainly never "thrashed" anyone for thinking otherwise. To do so would have ignored a fairly obvious point: success for Iowa's offense has been a fickle thing.

To repeat (from last week), our inability to deal with blitz pressure is our main problem.

8-4 is now a pipe-dream. And the best case scenario - an 8-5 finish after a win in Detroit-- is disappointing.

More so, in light of the fact our head coach and offensive coach are regarded as developers of offensive line play, the performance v. Purdue makes the current state of affairs utterly disappointing. I find no redemption in possible (though, no longer, probable) wins at Nebraska and in Detroit.

Recruiting wise, I still see many gems possibly coming into this program. But as a game-watcher, I've moved on to next year. Basketball schedule, please.

It is a sad footnote that the Iowa-Nebraska series never formed into the Black Friday rivalry it should have.

Who are the gems you see coming? There are none. People were saying the same thing last year about how we had talent waiting at receiver.... Yep, sure looks like it. Blitz pick up is just part of the problem on offense. We need to look long and hard at Doyle, and the S&C program. We are getting pushed around every single game, beat up on both lines. Never before have I seen an Iowa team with as many guys on their backs as I have this season. This program needs to be completely gutted from top to bottom. Now not later.

This offense has looked bad all year outside of part of the ISU game, part of the Illinois game, which Illinois is way worse than even Purdue. OSU didn't even show up, that is the only explanation for that. Otherwise the offense is just plain terrible. Anybody that thought we somehow had the light come on after the OSU game is living in unicorn land.

I am living in unicorn land I thought the offense was turning the corner......Man, did I get that wrong.

Yesterday I again saw a big difference between the running game results in straight ahead power running vs running the wide sweep or outside zone. The more straight ahead power rushing was getting decent 4-6 yard gains while going wide all year long has been a bust.

I just wanted to get your opinion on how we used Wadley and maybe using Butler and Young with straight ahead power blocking as battering rams to pound on and tire out the defense.
Our line, has shown they can't cleanly implement the zone blocking scheme. A good coach would adapt to his personnel but we know we don't have good coaches. We all know that Wadley should have been given the ball in space--this could mean working him out of the backfield, in the slot, etc. Again, a good coach would have built this in to the system knowing we had Butler. Butler should have been used like Daniels was last year imo. Then you've got two dangerous playmakers on the field. Use Young or IKM as your spell players. Quite simple.

Latest posts