Herman for DC?

herman-cain.jpg

You are the only person on the planet that is claiming his system was complex.
The only one.

Not sure if you followed UM football during that era, but I did and let me tell you a lot of players had complaints like that about Herrmann.

Find a UM fan board that thought highly of him...good luck.

all i know is that he coaches for the giants who run a similar scheme to iowa. they try and pressure with 4 and rarely blitz. maybe he would put 4 d-ends in on 3rd and long to get a speed rush going. maybe the um players were too dumb to understand the scheme because mattison runs a pretty elaborate scheme and he does alright.

plus it will be kf defensive scheme that he runs and he will just put his twist on it. i wouldnt mind him or parker since aiken is out.

if herman gets the job and he is a lb guy how long until wilson leaves (soon after announced, 1 yr, 2 yrs, more)?

can you link a fan board that backs up what your saying. good luck!!!

See the link below written by another UM fan in 2006. I remember the complaints before he was fired. A lot of UM fans aren't going to go into excruciating detail about it because they simply don't care. That's past history that doesn't affect them.

BTW-after Ferentz rebuilt the program in 2001 Iowa had a better scoring defense than UM in all but one year that Herrmann was coach, and UM had superior talent.

BTW-if people are expecting Herrmann to be a good recruiter...think again.

http://gregdooley.com/archive06/0923HerrmannsHead.html

Herrmann is a bright guy and intelligent people can change for the better. He may have figured it out in the interim but he wasn't a good DC at UM nor a good recruiter.

Last edited:
See the link below written by another UM fan in 2006. I remember the complaints before he was fired. A lot of UM fans aren't going to go into excruciating detail about it because they simply don't care. That's past history that doesn't affect them.

BTW-after Ferentz rebuilt the program in 2001 Iowa had a better scoring defense than UM in all but one year that Herrmann was coach, and UM had superior talent.

BTW-if people are expecting Herrmann to be a good recruiter...think again.

Jim Herrmann's Head: The Evolution of Confusion

Herrmann is a bright guy and intelligent people can change for the better. He may have figured it out in the interim but he wasn't a good DC at UM nor a good recruiter.

Honest question. If Hermann had superior talent, wouldn't that mean that he could recruit a little? Or did the other assistants do must of the "good recruiting?"

Honest question. If Hermann had superior talent, wouldn't that mean that he could recruit a little? Or did the other assistants do must of the "good recruiting?"

UM largely sells itself, but there were some good recruiters on that staff including Ron English.

I would think he could recruit pretty well if they were that talented as Montana says. If the position coach has talent that means either can recruit well or coach well or both. Has to be something positive there.

Just wanted to add I dislike Michigan (I would say "hate" but I was told at a young age not to). The more this thread goes on and I read more Michigan on a Hawkeye site I might puke.

I would think he could recruit pretty well if they were that talented as Montana says. If the position coach has talent that means either can recruit well or coach well or both. Has to be something positive there.

If fans were complaining about him on message boards there must be something wrong with him.

Like with Norm some coordinators don't recruit much. Michigan can pull in tonnes of talented recruits just with the name, the proximity, and the facilities. When Hoke arrived everyone looked at his recruiting at HC at SDSU and Ball State. It was just what you'd expect at those schools. Poor. At UM he's pulling in a top 5 class. Different animal.

FWIW- Of course whoever get's the job I want to succeed. I have serious doubts about Herrmann. Fans on a UM site I mentioned it too literally thought it was funny he might get the DC job. I hope if he get's it he really keeps things simple. If he does that and let's guys be aggressive like he did in 97 at UM he could be successful here, but in his later career at UM he was bad.

Last edited:
Like with Norm some coordinators don't recruit much. Michigan can pull in tonnes of talented recruits just with the name, the proximity, and the facilities. When Hoke arrived everyone looked at his recruiting at HC at SDSU and Ball State. It was just what you'd expect at those schools. Poor. At UM he's pulling in a top 5 class. Different animal.

FWIW- Of course whoever get's the job I want to succeed. I have serious doubts about Herrmann. Fans on a UM site I mentioned it too literally thought it was funny he might get the DC job. I hope if he get's it he really keeps things simple. If he does that and let's guys be aggressive like he did in 97 at UM he could be successful here, but in his later career at UM he was bad.

Sorry folks. Didn't want to be a buzz-kill. The positive side of this is that Herrmann is an intelligent guy and KF has a system. That system is built on simplicity and repetition. Know your position assignments. It could very well be a "marriage" that helps both sides. Herrmann, simplifies things, and yet he loosens up the defensive system to be more flexible.

That was kind of what I was getting at With my post earlier. We won't have a DC come in and change our scheme. But he could brig some important experience and insight for us to improve.

so no Bradley now either? dang. Im not a big time complainer usually, and I personally don't want Mishitigan's scUM handmedowns. However, if the Giants and time and age have made him grow and develop as a coach, then maybe he could be a good find. As long a we get some new blood, thoughts and ideas.

Latest posts