Herman for DC?

Agreed. A lot of Michigan fans use the phrase "Bend but don't break" when discussing him. Of course, it's probably fair to say he's grown quite a bit in the last 7 years.

I like this. It satisfies a lot of fan wishes. He's new blood, he has experience at the next level, he has BIG experience and he doesn't have any association with Penn State.

I agree with all of this. Michigan's jump in D performance from 2005 to 2006 was staggering when English took over for Herrman. That said, I would still be VERY excited to have Jim Herrman (still have a sinking feeling that it's Parker). Sometimes a new voice is all that's needed, and Herrman coordinated several great Ds at Michigan from 1997 to 2004, but don't expect the Hawks to magically start holding teams under 200 yards if we do hire him.

Michigan's 2005 D was horrid especially in the 4th quarter. But you need to look at a guy's full body of work. And if you want to credit Mattison for Herrman's 1997 success, don't you credit Herrman for English's 2006 success?

As a Iowa and UM fan I would be really unhappy if we hired Jim Herrmann as DC.

Herrmann inherited 8 starters off of a top 12 defense in 1996. A defense that included then sophomore Charles Woodson. It was a defense that was loaded with elite talent. The remainder of his career at UM his defenses were very mediocre and he had a whole lot of talent to work with.

The problem with Herrmann was that he taught football like it was a graduate level course to freshmen. His schemes and position assignments were complex. His defense was almost the antithesis of Norm Parker's where simplicity of scheme was expertly matched with knowing your assignments.

Eventually Carr asked Herrmann to share his DC assignments with budding DC, Ron English. Herrmann refused and took the Jets LB job. It was not a lateral move. English, not a great DC either but an improvement, simplified the defense, and that freed up kids to play instinctively and aggressively and not *think*. Herrmann, may have learned that you need to keep things simple for college players. That the emphasis of coaching should be teaching position assignments and then letting kids play without throwing advanced level schemes at them. Herrmann is a bright guy, but he was not a good DC, and I can see where his coaching might be better suited to more experienced NFL players than college kids.

Last edited:
The thing is though, do you think Kirk is gonna let him come right in make a simple defense into a highly complex one? I don't think so.

I feel like he could do a good job working with the current staff to find a balance between a Parker defense and a complex herrmman defense. Not to mention being in the nfl on the staffs of two very good defenses has likely helped him learn and grow a lot.

As a Iowa and UM fan I would be really unhappy if we hired Jim Herrmann as DC.

Herrmann inherited 8 starters off of a top 12 defense in 1996. A defense that included then sophomore Charles Woodson. It was a defense that was loaded with elite talent. The remainder of his career at UM his defenses were very mediocre and he had a whole lot of talent to work with.

The problem with Herrmann was that he taught football like it was a graduate level course to freshmen. His schemes and position assignments were complex. His defense was almost the antithesis of Norm Parker's where simplicity of scheme was expertly matched with knowing your assignments.

Eventually Carr asked Herrmann to share his DC assignments with budding DC, Ron English. Herrmann refused and took the Jets LB job. It was not a lateral move. English, not a great DC either but an improvement, simplified the defense, and that freed up kids to play instinctively and aggressively and not *think*. Herrmann, may have learned that you need to keep things simple for college players. That the emphasis of coaching should be teaching position assignments and then letting kids play without throwing advanced level schemes at them. Herrmann is a bright guy, but he was not a good DC, and I can see where his coaching might be better suited to more experienced NFL players than college kids.
....yep, still nervous.

The thing is though, do you think Kirk is gonna let him come right in make a simple defense into a highly complex one? I don't think so.

I feel like he could do a good job working with the current staff to find a balance between a Parker defense and a complex herrmman defense. Not to mention being in the nfl on the staffs of two very good defenses has likely helped him learn and grow a lot.

No, I don't know, though. I only know what I've seen from Herrmann and I was decidedly unimpressed. I'd much, much rather see another Norm Parker at DC than Herrmann. Maybe, Herrmann has looked deeply into his soul(tic) and realizes that his failures as a DC at UM(and believe me he was a failure) was his complex schemes and coupled with Norm's and KF's defensive style will keep it simple. If he is named DC, though, I'll be very concerned until I see it on the field. Exactly zero UM fans would take Herrmann over then and again now, UM DC Greg Mattison, and for a program like Iowa where over performing is a hallmark of the program and a necessity to winning with perennially less talent than the traditionally elite schools that's not an insignificant point.

No, I don't know, though. I only know what I've seen from Herrmann and I was decidedly unimpressed. I'd much, much rather see another Norm Parker at DC than Herrmann. Maybe, Herrmann has looked deeply into his soul(tic) and realizes that his failures as a DC at UM(and believe me he was a failure) was his complex schemes and coupled with Norm's and KF's defensive style will keep it simple. If he is named DC, though, I'll be very concerned until I see it on the field. Exactly zero UM fans would take Herrmann over then and again now, UM DC Greg Mattison, and for a program like Iowa where over performing is a hallmark of the program and a necessity to winning with perennially less talent than the traditionally elite schools that's not an insignificant point.

You are the only person on the planet that is claiming his system was complex.
The only one.

The major difference between our D and Michigan's D is Iowa's D plays a lot more smarter. I have heard while watching games that they say that Iowa's d plays the smartest out of any other Big Ten Team.

They may have more talented players but that dosn't mean they play smart.

Latest posts