Here are some Playoff Questions that Come to Mind

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
A form of a playoff has arrived to the Football Bowl Subdivision as NCAA Presidents and AD's approved a Top Four, Final Four model.

Here are just some of the questions that come to mind right away

1. FBS, We Hardly Knew Ye: Football Bowl Subdivision. Will we still be encouraged to refer to it as FBS? This is a small thing of course.

2. Strength of Schedule: While you might not have been able to schedule a weak, weak out of conference schedule and make it into the Top Two of the final BCS standings, you could certainly make it to the Top Four. How much weight will Strength of Schedule receive in how the field is picked? It's very difficult to schedule your SOS out four or five years in a row. A game that looks salty today might lose a lot of luster in that amount of time. When Iowa scheduled a home and home with Syracuse back in the early portion of the last decade, that program was more than just respectable. When Iowa played them, they were scuffling, to put it nicely.

What does this do to the prospects of those programs who are not in one of the five power leagues (Sorry, Big East)? See that as Boise State. Sorry, but I am not going to include a one-loss Boise State team over a pair of one-loss teams from power leagues given the week in, week out schedule those teams play compared to Boise State. They will need to run the table and hope.

3. The Committee: Just who will be on this committee? How many people will be on it? How can they best set it up to avoid bias seeping in? I don't think there is any possible way to avoid bias in something as subjective as this. We all grow up somewhere, in some region and we carry those memories around with us. I'd like to think I could be objective, but I know I wouldn't be as pure as others.

I don't want to see a bunch of former coaches on the committee. I don't know that former AD's would be a good idea, either. Perhaps a mix with them as well as some media members who have proven over a number of years to have strong journalistic principles would be good, and publish each voter's ballot whenever they share them a few times a year. 100 percent transparency in the process as well as the votes is the only way to get near any sort of objective result.

I do worry a bit about corruption. We are talking about millions of dollars in real currency to teams who are in the Top Four in the result of real revenue for being a part of the playoff, plus apparel sales for the schools who in it and the overall value to the programs who make the Final Four. Huge dollars.

How long will it be before we hear allegations of a rogue booster attempting to ply a committee member with gifts and graft? Even if we don't hear about it there will be some who wonder when some outlier winds up on a ballot.

4. Notre Dame: The Irish have been in the Top 6 of the final BCS standings just one time since the inception of the BCS, and that was 6th. They wouldn't have made the Final Four that year, either. I wonder if the Irish will have a tougher time scheduling in this new Final Four era, especially as it pertains to Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and USC. If I am USC, playing a nine game conference schedule, I think about cutting the series with Notre Dame. Their SOS will be plenty fine due to the nine game league slate. If I am Michigan and believe I am going to be a contender for the Big Ten title game every few years, do I want that game against Notre Dame or do I look to schedule middle of the pack teams from other leagues?

Then again, Notre Dame hasn't been much better than a middle of the pack team from a power league the last decade, so I take it all back; maybe Notre Dame's phone will start ringing off the wall with dance partners.

5. The Rose Bowl: The Grandaddy of them All will feature a Big Ten vs Pac 12 matchup in the years where it does not host one of the national semifinals or Championship game. The Rose has matched up Big Ten vs Pac 12 just six times in the last 11 years and even when it has, it hasn't always matched up the champions from those leagues (see Illinois vs USC, and I believe USC just scored again).

In the years when the Rose Bowl IS one of the semi-final locations and say the Big Ten champ and Pac 12 champ are in the Final Four, the Rose would host that game. However, the odds of that happening are not all that great. In the years when the Rose is NOT a semi-final location AND when the champs of the Big Ten and Pac 12 are NOT a part of the Final Four, it will be a 'traditional' Rose Bowl. In the years when the Rose is NOT a semi-final location and one of the champions from either the Big Ten or the Pac 12 IS a part of the final four, that league will send another team to the Rose to play the champion from the league whose champion is not a part of the Final Four. In the years when the Rose is NOT a semi-final location and it loses both champions to the Final Four, I have no idea what the heck they are going to do.

6. Will New Year's Day Matter Again? The number of bowl games played after New Years Day, in recent years, as simply sucked. It's not been a good thing. It sounds like the major bowl games, or the games that will be a part of the semi-finals and the traditional BCS bowls, will be played on either New Years Eve or New Years Day. The Rose is going to retain it's late afternoon, New Year's Day slot. This may turn out to be a good thing.

7. Will They Stop at Four? My quick answer is no, they will not. Just how long it takes them to expand to beyond four and how far they go remains the only question. It sounds like it will be four teams for 12 years, the same length of time we've been living under the BCS era. That's a decent amount of time, but given the money this thing is going to generate I believe a move to eight will happen in year 13, if not earlier.

8. Will FBS Numbers Drop? I added this an hour after the original post was made as I pondered more on the topic. The 60 or so 'BCS' programs are the big winners here. Will they need the other 65 or so non-BCS programs? No, they won't. They can just schedule one another in the out of conference and continue to play one another in eight or nine game league slates. There is no need for them to play MAC teams, especially if the strength of schedule becomes a big deal in the new formula for selection. My guess is within five or six years, we'll see a significant exodus from the FBS level by schools like New Mexico, Colorado State, some directional Michigan schools, etc. Right now, they are schedule fodder raking in big road game paydays for BCS programs as it is. They have had the power as of late in those negotiations...if SOS becomes a big deal, the money they can demand for road game sacrifices will drop and potentially dry up...if that happens, they gone.

9. Will the Big Ten be a Factor? The chart below shows what Big Ten teams were ranked in the Top Six of the final BCS poll in each of the past 12 years as well as the final regular season AP poll dating back to 1981. I chose 1981 because that is the dawn of the competitive era of Big Ten football, when Iowa broke through and stopped the run of Michigan and Ohio State championships. Those polls were also published in advance of the bowl games, so they match up with the current model in that regard. Minnesota, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue and Michigan State have never been ranked inside the Top Six during those years, while Iowa has been there just twice and Illinois and Wisconsin just once. Nebraska has been there just one time in the BCS era and Penn State has been there just twice since joining the Big Ten and once since the dawn of the BCS era. I chose the Top Six because those would be the teams considered for a Final Four.

B1G-IN-TOP-SIX.jpg

Haven't had a chance to read all of this, but it's been apparent for years now that SOS only matters if you're not in the SEC. As a conference, they tend to play such a joke of a non-conf schedule, yet nobody cares.

The criteria is going to have to be locked in very clearly,so that any bias is toward conference champs,first and foremost. That is going to be the battle with the SEC folks. They want to have at least 2-3 slots every single year. They will push for the LSU/Bama Rule,which states that one of these teams must make it every single year.

The only glimmer of positivity out of yesterday was the expansion of the semi-final bowl possibilities to 6,which could mean the Rose Bowl will remain the destination for the Big Ten Champ 2 of every 3 years.
Now, as we know, a Big Ten Champ vs Pac 12 Champ in the Rose Bowl will be a rare occurance,but that is part of the price we pay for this crap.
I expect a dramatic degrading of the Big Bowls in years they are not semifinal games.
That is going to be an unintended consequence of this crap. Even if Iowa makes the Rose Bowl, the sheen will be off the glamour and pomp. And of course when the Rose Bowl does host a semi-final game, it will be viewed as strictly a business trip(NFL Playoff Style) for the visiting teams(likely from the SEC and Big 12), just a stepping stone to the truly BIG GAME...so the NFL-ization of college football will soon be in complete display. This is the fateful first step down the inevitable path of the extinction of the bowls and a full-blown playoff with most games on SEC and Big 12 campuses....can't wait...for Iowa's postseasons to be spent sitting at home watching another SEC vs Big 12 battle royale. Wetzel will be pleased.

Haven't had a chance to read all of this, but it's been apparent for years now that SOS only matters if you're not in the SEC. As a conference, they tend to play such a joke of a non-conf schedule, yet nobody cares.

Last year LSU played Oregon and West Virginia, Arkansas played Texas A&M, and Alabama played Penn State. As Iowa fans, we are the last people on earth that should be criticizing other school's out-of-conference schedules.

This is the fateful first step down the inevitable path of the extinction of the bowls and a full-blown playoff with most games on SEC and Big 12 campuses....can't wait...for Iowa's postseasons to be spent sitting at home watching another SEC vs Big 12 battle royale. Wetzel will be pleased.

If I see one more poster crying about how the SEC and Big 12 are going to dominate the landscape, I'm going to have to take a breather from the board. I thought we wanted to compete for national titles? We don't like it that schools from other regions are better than us? GET BETTER. I for one don't see the tragedy in rewarding the best teams. This isn't T-ball.

If I see one more poster crying about how the SEC and Big 12 are going to dominate the landscape, I'm going to have to take a breather from the board. I thought we wanted to compete for national titles? We don't like it that schools from other regions are better than us? GET BETTER. I for one don't see the tragedy in rewarding the best teams. This isn't T-ball.

Its reality,man. This is not the NFL in talent distribution where the draft spreads the talent around. So they are glomming an NFL style playoff onto a model where almost 70% of the top talent resides in SEC country and usually stays close to home.

How many 5 star recruits grow up in Big Ten country?
How many from Texas to North Carolina?
And then add to that the academic standards discrepancy and overrecruiting practices,and you really think it is a level playing field for the Big Ten?
It is what it is...call it whining,I call it reality. As this turns into strictly a business like the NFL, it will only acelerate the arms race and corruption in recruiting with huge money at stake,with coaches jobs in even more peril...it is mission creep at its worst. I think it is getting to the point where I almost think the Big Ten should step back and go Ivy League in football. As Dan Wetzel suggests, join the U. of Chicago,out of the insanity.

Quick reactions to some of these points, Jon:

2. Strength of Schedule: It seems to me there are two ways schools will approach this: either schedule a weak OOC, in which case you will HAVE to go undefeated, or schedule a very difficult OOC, which gives you an opportunity to win a game that raises your profile and might help negate a loss (or even two) down the road. My hope is that teams go the second route-- that with four spots everyone realizes that it's very unlikely there will be four undefeated teams, and so you might as well take a shot at beating someone good out of conference. As to the fact that you have to schedule so far in advance-- this is where opponents' opponents' winning percentage has come into play for basketball, and I think it will do the same for football. So for instance, Iowa schedules Syracuse and they turn out to be terrible. But they still play in the Big East, so their opponents' opponents' winning % is much better than if they played in the Sun Belt conference.

What I hope is that the committee sends two messages: 1) Playing FCS teams is going to hurt your profile. 2) Playing 7 or 8 home games out of 12 is going to really hurt your profile. I realize there would be some fallout from that in terms of revenue, finding opponents, etc. But if everyone is operating under the same premises I think it could really strengthen the quality of OOC scheduling. I'd like to see a point where major conference schools are all playing nine conference games, one home-and-home game against a team from other major conferences (or a team like Boise), one neutral field game against a team from another major conference, and a home game against a cupcake (but still a division 1-A cupcake).

3. The Committee: The NCAA seems to handle this pretty well for every other sport. Are there biases at work? Sure. But they do a nice job of pitting the biases against each other-- so you have an AD from the Big Ten but also one from the SEC. If they make the criteria clear and transparent, I think it can work. Jon, you worked through the last ten years or so in a recent post to come with four semifinalists-- was it really that hard? And let's be honest-- the teams that are left out are going to be in the Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, etc-- it's a pretty soft landing.

As to corruption-- we have PLENTY of that in the current system. At least this one will be in the hands of NCAA, not in some bizarre computer formulation that uses one poll in which coaches rank their own teams, or in the hands of bowl reps who are only out to enrich their own private interests. I know the NCAA has a bad rap, but they've actually done a really good job of selecting championship fields in every other sport.

5. The Rose Bowl: The Rose Bowl gave itself away in 1998. Had they held out then, maybe we wouldn't be here today. But to me it's not much different from the current situation, in which it only pits the Big Ten and Pac-12 champs against each other 60-70% of the time.

6. Will New Year's Day Matter Again? This is one of the best parts of this new plan.

7. Will They Stop at Four? Of course not. This new deal starts in 2014... I bet we have an 8-team playoff by 2018. Look at the history on the basketball tournament: In 1975 they went from 25 to 32-- expanding beyond conference champions for the first time in 35+ years. By 1979 they were at 40, by 1980 they were at 48, and by 1985 they were at 64.

8. Will FBS Numbers Drop? The budget hammer is coming down on pretty much every other aspect of higher education, and I don't see how or why football programs that lose money should be immune. My ideal division I-A would have about 100 teams. I think this will happen organically.

9. Will the Big Ten be a Factor? I look at that chart and I see the Big Ten in the mix 9 out of 13 seasons. This is during a historically bad stretch at Michigan, before the addition of Nebraska, and a historically great stretch for the SEC. Keeping in mind that everything is cyclical, that seems about right to me. At the very least, we should all agree that the BCS era hasn't exactly been the high water mark for the Big Ten. Why be so eager to protect it?

Its reality,man. This is not the NFL in talent distribution where the draft spreads the talent around. So they are glomming an NFL style playoff onto a model where almost 70% of the top talent resides in SEC country and usually stays close to home.

How many 5 star recruits grow up in Big Ten country?
How many from Texas to North Carolina?
And then add to that the academic standards discrepancy and overrecruiting practices,and you really think it is a level playing field for the Big Ten?
It is what it is...call it whining,I call it reality. As this turns into strictly a business like the NFL, it will only acelerate the arms race and corruption in recruiting with huge money at stake,with coaches jobs in even more peril...it is mission creep at its worst. I think it is getting to the point where I almost think the Big Ten should step back and go Ivy League in football. As Dan Wetzel suggests, join the U. of Chicago,out of the insanity.

This is what WILL happen(B1G stepping away)
Its just a couple of generations away.
The B1G won't ever be as competitive as they once were.
The only thing separating the B1G from the MAC is a few zero's on the paychecks & that has more to do with fan support and history than actual product on the field/court. Keep losing, population continues to shift & eventually that fan support dwindles. Then what do you have? The MAC

The only thing separating the B1G from the MAC is a few zero's on the paychecks & that has more to do with fan support and history than actual product on the field/court. Keep losing, population continues to shift & eventually that fan support dwindles. Then what do you have? The MAC

That's laughable.

Last year LSU played Oregon and West Virginia, Arkansas played Texas A&M, and Alabama played Penn State. As Iowa fans, we are the last people on earth that should be criticizing other school's out-of-conference schedules.

Iowa schedules tougher than most BCS schools. Look at the past decade and most years have two BCS teams on the schedule.

Typical nonsense from you.

+1,000,000

This is a conference that finished #1 and #3 in the end-of-regular season AP poll five years ago. They're going to go from that to the IVY league just because the SEC has put together a nice run?

Look at Jon's table above.
The B1G's track record is, a, bad.
I probably wouldn't show that table to Ohio St, they may start to wonder what the hell they're doing here.
Its likely to get worse due to many factors.

I get that people are going to be defensive about the B1G.

Typical nonsense from you.

The B1G is going to return to glory because you say so?
Even though the facts & evidence suggest the exact opposite?

I'll say its far far more likely the B1G will continue to be a middling league that has Ohio St or Michigan reach the playoffs on occasion. That's what the evidence says.

People tend to look at this emotionally.
Rationally, the B1G is 4th or 5th best competitively of the 5 major conferences.

This desire for crowning a national college football champion and the role of "student" athletes in it are not compatible. Those of us old enough to remember can recall that the Big Ten conference operated with an annual 30 football scholarship rule and the conference champ was the only bowl participant. The rest of the college football conferences operated with 45 annual scholarships and no bowl restrictions. Standards for admission between conferences were greatly different.

By 1975 the gap between the Big Ten and the rest of the conferences was wider than it is today. The Big Ten Presidents finally lifted the bowl restriction and the NCAA changed the scholarship levels to the present 85/25. Teams like Iowa and Wisconsin were able to become competitive because they were and are on a more equal playing field. The Big Ten still has higher admission requirements even though relaxed from what they were.

I like college football, but when the value of a degree from a college is cheapened by a football win or else mentality then it is where I draw the line. It isn't worth denigrating an institution's reputation for the purpose of pursing a national football championship. This is where things are headed unless the Presidents start putting a premium on the student side of student athlete.

My prediction is that eventually there will be a new classification for college football. The Big Ten, Pac 12, and some members of the ACC and Big East will form it. The attitude gap between the SEC/Big 12 vs B1G/PAC12 is not going to be overcome.