Herbstreit trashes B10

I hope you're right, CF. I have wanted The Ducks to beat the cheatin' cheezedicks all along, and as much as it pains me, I will root hard for fO$U to defeat the Hawgs. (Don't say a thing, fufred, just remain silent. ;))
The other SEC games rate a 'meh' on the interest scale, but nevertheless I hope they all lose.
I knew you were a closet buckeye fan...:)

I hope you're right, CF. I have wanted The Ducks to beat the cheatin' cheezedicks all along, and as much as it pains me, I will root hard for fO$U to defeat the Hawgs. (Don't say a thing, fufred, just remain silent. ;))
The other SEC games rate a 'meh' on the interest scale, but nevertheless I hope they all lose.

Personally, I want Auburn to win. I think they will anyway (I've never been sold on Oregon, and I'm sick of hearing about how great they are), and I think that they'll lose everything they win within a few years anyway. The SEC can claim dominance and a 5-year streak, except that if/when Newton is ruled ineligible, that stuff goes out the window. They can't even claim "well we won it on the field", because without Newton they don't even come close to sniffing the title game. That's a solid 8-4 to 10-2 team in this year's SEC West (without Newton). Not a title contender.

It's fine to trash the B10 for the New Year's Day performance, we deserve it.

Where Herbie goes wrong is extending that to a systemic problem. The facts don't back up his rant. Prior to this year, B10/SEC were .500 head-to-head in bowl games over last 10 years. Also, cold-weather schools won just under half the national championships in the 80's and 90's - why wasn't cold weather a problem then?

And yes, oversigning gives the SEC a recruiting advantage. The NCAA needs to force conferences into policy parity there.

Also fyi... 8 of the top 15 rated NFL QBs came from cold-weather schools. 10 if you count Virginia as cold-weather. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

Last edited:
It's fine to trash the B10 for the New Year's Day performance, we deserve it.

Where Herbie goes wrong is extending that to a systemic problem. The facts don't back up his rant. Prior to this year, B10/SEC were .500 head-to-head in bowl games over last 10 years. Also, cold-weather schools won just under half the national championships in the 80's and 90's - why wasn't cold weather a problem then?

And yes, oversigning gives the SEC a recruiting advantage. The NCAA needs to force conferences into policy parity there.

Also fyi... 8 of the top 15 rated NFL QBs came from cold-weather schools. 10 if you count Virginia as cold-weather. 2010 NFL Player Passing Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Those national champs from cold-weather country? Nebraska accounts for 2 of the 8 titles won by such teams. Nebraska made its living with partial qualifiers operating without a scholarship limit (big shock they've dropped off since those days). BYU won one (they beat a 6-6 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl to win that title). Notre Dame had one (Lou Holtz is notorious for cheating the recruiting game). Michigan, Colorado, and Penn State account for the other four titles. So for half of the 8 titles, there were other factors that made it easier to overcome any weather advantage. The game has also changed since then. What we do in the Big Ten now wasn't considered ancient back then. Now it's legitimately power vs. speed.

There's a reason why the Big 12 and SEC have absolutely dominated in the BCS era. They'll continue to dominate too. No one wants to come out and say it, but it's obvious and becoming more obvious.

The best athletes reside in these areas for a clear and distinct reason.

I'd venture to say that in the next 20 years the SEC will win more than 5 times as many BCS titles than the Big 10 will. The Big 12 will win 2 to 3 times as many BCS titles as the Big 10. The ACC will win more BCS titles than the Big 10 too.

The difference at dline and wide receivers in the SEC vs Big 10 is unbelievable.

There's a reason why the Big 12 and SEC have absolutely dominated in the BCS era. They'll continue to dominate too. No one wants to come out and say it, but it's obvious and becoming more obvious.

I'd venture to say that in the next 20 years the SEC will win more than 5 times as many BCS titles than the Big 10 will. The Big 12 will win 2 to 3 times as many BCS titles as the Big 10. The ACC will win more BCS titles than the Big 10 too.

The difference at dline and wide receivers in the SEC vs Big 10 is unbelievable.

Show me the money!

Lot of talk about the SEC. Right now they are 3-3 in bowls. Four games to go, LSU beats A&M, Kentucky loses and Auburn loses, Arkansas loses to tOSU. SEC ends up at 4-6, not much better than B10's 3-5.

Or you could say a lot of talk about the SEC right now because they are participating in their 5th straight BCS title game and gunning for their 5th straight BCS title.

I'm a Big 10 fan.... SEC >>> Big 10 - Not even close. I'm tired of the argument.

Or you could say a lot of talk about the SEC right now because they are participating in their 5th straight BCS title game and gunning for their 5th straight BCS title.

I'm a Big 10 fan.... SEC >>> Big 10 - Not even close. I'm tired of the argument.

The best teams don't automatically come from the best conference. I'm not saying that the SEC isn't, just that it isn't so because it's best teams win the title (with the already mentioned benefits/tactics). Iowa was passed over for the Outback and Gator Bowls because of how we finished the season, even though we beat both PSU and Michigan (not complaining, we benefit from that all the time). Put us in the Outback or Gator, and I think we win that game. Penn State would have matched up a little better with Miss State, sparing McGloin from passing against Florida's secondary. Michigan loses in almost any bowl this year. Top to bottom the SEC may be better. But the Big Ten wasn't getting good matchups, either. Iowa was better than both PSU and Michigan, but got stuck in a "lesser" bowl.

I'm just glad to see that Nebraska wants to fit into the Big 10 so badly that they were gracious enough to also drop their bowl game....lol

Anybody who believed MSU was a top-10 team is/was delusional. Michigan had no business being in a bowl game, and PSU belonged in a December 1st bowl. It would be extremely embarrassing for the conference had Iowa and Illinois also crapped the bed.

Amen! Excellent post!

I agree with this to an extent. Also find it rather humorous the same was being said back in the day when the Pac-10 routinely kicked the B10's a$$ in the Rose Bowl.

herby always likes the big ten so im sure it pains him to call out the big ten here a bit

+1

He's a Big Ten guy, he was hurt like the rest of us. You know off camera he's saying the right (defending) things. But heck, we got trampled, what's he supposed to say AND keep his job security?

Those national champs from cold-weather country? Nebraska accounts for 2 of the 8 titles won by such teams. Nebraska made its living with partial qualifiers operating without a scholarship limit (big shock they've dropped off since those days).

Irrelevant to Nebraska's NC teams of the 90's. Nobody's had unlimited schollies since 1972. History of scholarship limits:

<1972: unlimited
1972-77: 105
1978-91: 95
1992: 92
1993: 88
>1994: 85

And the SEC during this period has had the laxest policy on oversigning of any conference, by a wide margin, providing a significant recruiting advantage in the era of limited scholarships.

Brian, I can't argue with that. Just trying to point out it may not be a banner year for the SEC.

Amen! Excellent post!

Anybody who believed MSU was a top-10 team is/was delusional. Michigan had no business being in a bowl game, and PSU belonged in a December 1st bowl. It would be extremely embarrassing for the conference had Iowa and Illinois also crapped the bed.

People from the outside didn't believe that, but MSU fans did. Remember we were the MSU from last year and with 2 losses and I guarantee that all Hawk fans thought we were top 10 but no one else in the country did.

The SEC is a AAA paid league for the NFL. Their motto is "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

Witness Cam Newton's father asking for $180,000 from Mississippis State. Cam told MSU that the pay at Auburn was just too good.

Latest posts