Herbstreit trashes B10

I agree with this to an extent. Also find it rather humorous the same was being said back in the day when the Pac-10 routinely kicked the B10's a$$ in the Rose Bowl.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Pac-10 representative being USC or UCLA and the Rose Bowl being within 10 miles of either campus.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the Pac-10 representative being USC or UCLA and the Rose Bowl being within 10 miles of either campus.

There was that. But there were also comments about athletes growing up on the West Coast staying active and playing outdoor sports virtually year-round since they didn't have to deal with the ice/snow/bitter cold that keeps much of the northern half of the country indoors for three or four months out of the year.

There was that. But there were also comments about athletes growing up on the West Coast staying active and playing outdoor sports virtually year-round since they didn't have to deal with the ice/snow/bitter cold that keeps much of the northern half of the country indoors for three or four months out of the year.

True, but I don't know how much stock I would put into that. Send that same kid (or team) to Camp Randall or Kinnick Stadium for a bowl game on New Years; it'd be interesting see the response.

Obviously, that will never happen, but B1G teams are put at a disdvantage by playing what amounts to road games. Obviously, B1G fans travel well (Iowa, PSU, OSU, Wisconsin), but the fans aren't playing the games.

I listened to Herbie's comments as well. He was spot on. The Big 10 absolutely embarrased itself. MSU is definitely not a top 10 team. Wisky was probably the most consistent team in the Big 10 all season but it did not really have that intimidating element. Michigan stayed true to how it played all season. Penn State was very average this year and Northwestern have it a go but could not put enough points on the board.

The SEC has it going on and I don't know if the Big 10 will ever be stronger than the SEC. I recently picked up a high school recruiting magazine and it was amazing how the majority of the top players identitifed in the publication are from Florida, Georgia, etc. And the schools those kids were "considering" included no one outside of the SEC.

I listened to Herbie's comments as well. He was spot on. The Big 10 absolutely embarrased itself. MSU is definitely not a top 10 team. Wisky was probably the most consistent team in the Big 10 all season but it did not really have that intimidating element. Michigan stayed true to how it played all season. Penn State was very average this year and Northwestern have it a go but could not put enough points on the board.

The SEC has it going on and I don't know if the Big 10 will ever be stronger than the SEC. I recently picked up a high school recruiting magazine and it was amazing how the majority of the top players identitifed in the publication are from Florida, Georgia, etc. And the schools those kids were "considering" included no one outside of the SEC.

An o-line that averaged 6-4 313 and three 1000 yard runners isn't intimidating? Wisconsin got beat because of bad coaching and getting away from what got them there in the first place. They hadn't put a game on Tolzein's shoulders all year, but they did it at the tail end of the Rose Bowl.

Why are so many people so unable to accept this? The best teams have the best players, and the best players are in the Southeast, Southwest, and Southern California.

Look at the ESPNU top 150. Of the top 10, only one of them could be considered "northern", and even then, he's in ACC country (Maryland-Oddly enough this guy is interested in Iowa).

There are a few guys sprinkled in from NY or NJ, but in the top 150, there are exactly 8 that come from a Big 10 state. Of those 8, 4 of them have committed outside of the Big 10 (2 to ND, 2 to SEC). There is where the problem lies. Herbstreit is 100% correct.

An o-line that averaged 6-4 313 and three 1000 yard runners isn't intimidating? Wisconsin got beat because of bad coaching and getting away from what got them there in the first place. They hadn't put a game on Tolzein's shoulders all year, but they did it at the tail end of the Rose Bowl.

I just don't think Wisky was an "intimidating" team. Very strong running game indeed. Just saying that overall, Wisky was not a real intimidating team. I would fear a Florida or Alabama more than Wisky.

Maybe we should look up the Cleveland Plain Dealer sport's editor next year to get his predictions on the Big 10 as he predicted before the bowls that the Big 10 would win 2 of its games with the victors being our Hawks and the Bucks.

He didn't miss it by much.

The truth of it is that the big 10 did absolutely terrible this year and deserves all the criticism heaped on it!

There are many factors involved as to why some of the disparities exist like southern teams getting to play almost home games (Florida/Penn St for example) and such. But would we be happier if the Big 10 began using the same rules that the SEC uses--including lower entrance standards and oversigning? Would Iowa fans be happy if KF oversigned by 10 to 15 every year and got rid of players that didn't happen to pan out? Or would Iowa fans be happy if kids were accept to the UI even though they have no reason being in college and they are there to be exploited to play football. Once they are done with football the kids are thrown away by the UI?

I do wish the sports shows like ESPN would make it more apparent about what the SEC does, even though they won't because they now support ESPN.

Yes the Big Ten did horrible this year but the SEC has 3 wins right now and could easily lose the next two bowl games. The Big 12 has won what 2 right now (not positive - didn't look). The Big 10 could have been 5-3 right now or more likely 4-4. An average PSU team gave away their game with Florida on Turnovers and a blocked punt. Wisconsin lost by 2 and missed a FG, statistically dominated the game. You should have thrown the NU loss out because not one Big Ten fan chose them to win without their best player who did everything for them and they still came back. MU and MSU got hammered but that was it.

You deserve some criticism going 3-5 but the The Big Ten sky is not falling. They are 3-1 in the BCS over that past two years with a 2 point loss.

Been watching Big Ten football for 33 years, and love the big ten and always will but yes Jan 1 2011 was worst bowl day in history of conference. Maybe worst day in history of conference playing outside teams.

I root for the Big 10 in bowl games, but the only New Years game I cared about was the Rose Bowl(How did the TicketCity bowl get a spot on New Years day?). The only thing that disappointed me was Wisconsin's loss. Outside of New Years, OSU, Iowa, and Illinois won their games. I don't feel better or worse about the Big 10 than I did before.

Latest posts