Herbstreit trashes B10

Kirk was on in the last half hour today with Cowherd and basically trashed the Big 10 for lack of speed and athletic talent. Said the coaches need to do a much better job of recruiting in order to compete with teams in the SEC. Cowherd said the best athletes are always going to want to play in warmer climates, that the Big 10 and Big East are always going to be at a disadvantage.

Herbstreit described the New Year's Day 0-5 record as the "darkest day" ever in Big 10 football. Said the league had a similar experience in 2007, came back and did a little better in 2008 and then had a pretty good record in 2009-10, especially in the BCS games. Everyone thought the league was on the way to recovery from the 2007 debacle.

But then the league was humiliated on Saturday.

He also shared that he had had a chance to visit the Wisconsin and TCU practices ahead of the Rose Bowl. Said the difference was striking; after coming off the field at breaks each TCU starter would get a sheet of paper to review on plays, etc., while the No. 2's were practicing. Said it really kept the entire team focused. No such thing during the Wisconsin practice.

I attended both an ISU practice and an Iowa practice this spring. I can tell you that there was a noticable difference in tempo and the general pace of practice. there wasnt a single minute at the ISU practice where players weren't doing drills, reviewing something, or engaging coaches. the Iowa practice at times was equal in tempo, however there was a lot more standing around and BS'ing amongst players. THIS IS NOT TO KNOCK IOWA OR START AN ISU V IOWA DEBATE, just telling you what I saw.

this could be the same type of thing that herbstreit is stating here

I attended both an ISU practice and an Iowa practice this spring. I can tell you that there was a noticable difference in tempo and the general pace of practice. there wasnt a single minute at the ISU practice where players weren't doing drills, reviewing something, or engaging coaches. the Iowa practice at times was equal in tempo, however there was a lot more standing around and BS'ing amongst players. THIS IS NOT TO KNOCK IOWA OR START AN ISU V IOWA DEBATE, just telling you what I saw.

this could be the same type of thing that herbstreit is stating here

in before someone posts 'scoreboard' in response to tanabs' post :D

This thread caught my attention because of what I have been talking to people about.
I used to watch college gameday religiously...have not for years

I did NYD and Herbstreit switched his pick from Miss State to Michigan
picked Penn State to beat Florida and picked Michigan State to play close to Bama

He was the one picking Big 10 teams pre game and then he bashes them after the fact

This is why I don't watch that stuff anymore...they make picks they are wrong and they continue to make picks like they are always right

The Big 10 did lay a huge egg on NYD, no question. I am sure there is some talent gap there, but like other posters have said, the Big 10 does not produce the skill position players that the SEC, Pac 10 and Big 12 put out each year.
One issue with whole debacle is the selection process. Every year the big 10 has at least one of the more prestigous teams jumping a lesser prestiged (Not sure if that is a word) team for a higher level bowl. I mean this year PSU and Mich both jumped Iowa for higher paying/level bowls. Not saying it hasn't benefitted Iowa (2009 Outback Bowl), but this creates issues for the Big 10 when a 7-5 Michigan team (Which was lucky to be 7-5 with no real good wins) plays a solid 8-4 SEC team in Miss St who has beaten some teams.
The other issue has been having two Big 10 teams in BCS games. For example I think OSU or Wis would have played a much better game against Alabama. Mich St. was the 3rd best team in Big 10, and that may be a stretch too. The Capital One bowl has not been a good bowl for Big 10 when the Big 10 has two teams in the BCS. I think we may see this level out with the Big 10 realignment the next couple years.
My final issue is with other Big 10 coaches. Most of them do not win big games. Bilema had not won a big game until this year against Iowa and OSU. Then wet the bed a bit against TCU. JoPA has won big games, but let's face it, his time has come and he really should step down. Dantonio?? Anyone recall big games he has won? They beat Iowa three years ago, and have beat Mich in 3 straight years when Mich was bad. RichRod, enough said, he hasn't won anything in MI, and I don't recall if he won any of his BCS games at WVU. Fitzgerald hasn't shown that he can win a bowl game either, they tend to be overmatched in bowl games. That leaves Zook, they played well in their bowl game, but he hasn't won any big games, beat OSU once I think. Ferentz, he has won a BCS game a slew of bowl games, and Tressel he has won big games and does fairly well at bowl time (except for the back-to-back title games they lost). But for the last 5 years, it has been Ferentz and Tressel who have won respectable bowl games to save some face for the Big 10.

This thread caught my attention because of what I have been talking to people about.

picked Penn State to beat Florida and picked Michigan State to play close to Bama

He was the one picking Big 10 teams pre game and then he bashes them after the fact

This is why I don't watch that stuff anymore...they make picks they are wrong and they continue to make picks like they are always right

If you're going to rag on Herbstreit for ragging on the Big Ten, you've got a pretty thin skin. He's right. I've always liked Herby because he doesn't mess with biases and the like. He just calls'em how he sees'em, and if the Big Ten sucks it up, he's not afraid to say so without sugar-coating it. He's honest with his opinion. Now Fowler, on the other hand......can't stand that guy.

For Kirk Herbstreit to go on the air and pretend that the two leagues are on equal footing is a freakin' joke. The rule bending and breaking down there in good ole' boy country is rampant! They cheat. We all know they do. Kirk Herbstreit knows they do. ESPN knows they do. But we can't upset the cash cow can we? It makes the spectacle that is college football an absolute farce! This sport is becoming harder for me to watch when the NCAA literally looks the other way while this crap is allowed to go on.

The Big 10 did lay a huge egg on NYD, no question. I am sure there is some talent gap there, but like other posters have said, the Big 10 does not produce the skill position players that the SEC, Pac 10 and Big 12 put out each year.
One issue with whole debacle is the selection process. Every year the big 10 has at least one of the more prestigous teams jumping a lesser prestiged (Not sure if that is a word) team for a higher level bowl. I mean this year PSU and Mich both jumped Iowa for higher paying/level bowls. Not saying it hasn't benefitted Iowa (2009 Outback Bowl), but this creates issues for the Big 10 when a 7-5 Michigan team (Which was lucky to be 7-5 with no real good wins) plays a solid 8-4 SEC team in Miss St who has beaten some teams.
The other issue has been having two Big 10 teams in BCS games. For example I think OSU or Wis would have played a much better game against Alabama. Mich St. was the 3rd best team in Big 10, and that may be a stretch too. The Capital One bowl has not been a good bowl for Big 10 when the Big 10 has two teams in the BCS. I think we may see this level out with the Big 10 realignment the next couple years.
My final issue is with other Big 10 coaches. Most of them do not win big games. Bilema had not won a big game until this year against Iowa and OSU. Then wet the bed a bit against TCU. JoPA has won big games, but let's face it, his time has come and he really should step down. Dantonio?? Anyone recall big games he has won? They beat Iowa three years ago, and have beat Mich in 3 straight years when Mich was bad. RichRod, enough said, he hasn't won anything in MI, and I don't recall if he won any of his BCS games at WVU. Fitzgerald hasn't shown that he can win a bowl game either, they tend to be overmatched in bowl games. That leaves Zook, they played well in their bowl game, but he hasn't won any big games, beat OSU once I think. Ferentz, he has won a BCS game a slew of bowl games, and Tressel he has won big games and does fairly well at bowl time (except for the back-to-back title games they lost). But for the last 5 years, it has been Ferentz and Tressel who have won respectable bowl games to save some face for the Big 10.

This argument would work if we were talking about the Big 10 vs. the Big 12 or Pac-10 (most years). The SEC sends two teams every year too, so Alabama was playing "up" too. If the SEC had sent just one team to the BCS, Arkansas or LSU plays in the Cap One, while 'Bama goes to the Outback. Just imagine how brutal THAT would have been.

Honestly, what happened Saturday shouldn't have surprised anyone. Sure, not many people expected TCU to win, but every Big 10 team was an underdog for a reason.

Penn State/Florida was a toss-up, and did turn out to be a pretty evenly played game with Floridas defense and special teams providing the margin. QB's for both teams were terrible; you can't blame Urb for leaving with what he has at QB. I think what is more surprising is that Bolden is leaving because he got beat out by a walk on. PSU is going to have major QB issues next year if they're running McGloin out there.

The surprise with Michigan was that their offense didn't show up; you knew going in that they would give up points but you also had to think they had the horses to keep up.

NW....their fate for the rest of the year was sealed as soon as Persa went down. They put up a decent fight, but their defense cant stop anyone. Except Iowa.

Michigan State packed it in after going from 1st-and-goal from the 4 to punting from the 40. At that point, the game was over.

Wisconsin...run the ******* ball, Bret. But I'll shed no tears for that team I wanted TCU to win that game.

What is he supposed to do? Praise Michigan even after they get embarassed? There is nothing wrong with ripping a team you picked, particularly if they fall flat on their face.

What is he supposed to do? Praise Michigan even after they get embarassed? There is nothing wrong with ripping a team you picked, particularly if they fall flat on their face.

Honestly, if Michigan had lost a close game, Herby could have defended them and his pick. But when they go out and get demolished, it looks pretty childish and stupid to defend them. They were awful.

Honestly, what happened Saturday shouldn't have surprised anyone. Sure, not many people expected TCU to win, but every Big 10 team was an underdog for a reason.

Penn State/Florida was a toss-up, and did turn out to be a pretty evenly played game with Floridas defense and special teams providing the margin. QB's for both teams were terrible; you can't blame Urb for leaving with what he has at QB. I think what is more surprising is that Bolden is leaving because he got beat out by a walk on. PSU is going to have major QB issues next year if they're running McGloin out there.

The surprise with Michigan was that their offense didn't show up; you knew going in that they would give up points but you also had to think they had the horses to keep up.

NW....their fate for the rest of the year was sealed as soon as Persa went down. They put up a decent fight, but their defense cant stop anyone. Except Iowa.

Michigan State packed it in after going from 1st-and-goal from the 4 to punting from the 40. At that point, the game was over.

Wisconsin...run the ******* ball, Bret. But I'll shed no tears for that team I wanted TCU to win that game.

I would have been thrilled to win 2-3 games yesterday. I only expected Wisconsin and Penn State to win, and held out slim hope that Michigan could outscore Miss St. 0-5 sucks, but I only expected 2 wins, and both of those games were tight, could have gone either way.

I pretty much agree with this. The Big 10 teams were in three games until near the end. Wiscy lost by 2 and the missed FG changed the complexion of the game. PSU held it's own against Florida and should have had a bigger lead going into the end. The score looked bad because of the late pick. And NW played pretty good considering we knocked their starting QB out. We should have at least walked away with 1-2 wins on Saturday, unfortunately everything went the other teams way.

It is interesting that Iowa cannot beat NW, but Ferentz does an outstanding job of preparing Iowa for the bowl games. We are 6-3 in bowls under Ferentz against great competition (Iowa has been the underdog in most, if not all, of those games).

I think NW has some type of voodoo curse over Iowa - there is no other rational explanation.

For Kirk Herbstreit to go on the air and pretend that the two leagues are on equal footing is a freakin' joke. The rule bending and breaking down there in good ole' boy country is rampant! They cheat. We all know they do. Kirk Herbstreit knows they do. ESPN knows they do. But we can't upset the cash cow can we? It makes the spectacle that is college football an absolute farce! This sport is becoming harder for me to watch when the NCAA literally looks the other way while this crap is allowed to go on.

+1

Lot of talk about the SEC. Right now they are 3-3 in bowls. Four games to go, LSU beats A&M, Kentucky loses and Auburn loses, Arkansas loses to tOSU. SEC ends up at 4-6, not much better than B10's 3-5.

I would have been thrilled to win 2-3 games yesterday. I only expected Wisconsin and Penn State to win, and held out slim hope that Michigan could outscore Miss St. 0-5 sucks, but I only expected 2 wins, and both of those games were tight, could have gone either way.

I thought the B1G had a chance at two (even said so here), but thought that Wisconsin would be the only winner. PSU and Florida both had/have QB issues, and that's how it played out during the game.

Lot of talk about the SEC. Right now they are 3-3 in bowls. Four games to go, LSU beats A&M, Kentucky loses and Auburn loses, Arkansas loses to tOSU. SEC ends up at 4-6, not much better than B10's 3-5.

I hope you're right, CF. I have wanted The Ducks to beat the cheatin' cheezedicks all along, and as much as it pains me, I will root hard for fO$U to defeat the Hawgs. (Don't say a thing, fufred, just remain silent. ;))
The other SEC games rate a 'meh' on the interest scale, but nevertheless I hope they all lose.

So, how does the Big 12 escape criticism? They also are 2-5 and played a much easier slate of games.
And as others have mentioned, if the SEC is do damn elite how can they possibly be 3-3? That's a MUCH bigger underperformance than the Big Ten being 2-5. Particuarly in light of their "flexible" standards in the SEC.

Latest posts