Heelan frosh tries Florida sports school

Well if it works out well, Dad will get paid back when he cashes that check from whichever SEC school takes his son.

I see what you are saying but I still do not think it is worth the investment or the risk. What are SEC schools paying parents these days? I would not spend 66K with the hopes of getting 100K from an SEC school.

I see what you are saying but I still do not think it is worth the investment or the risk. What are SEC schools paying parents these days? I would not spend 66K with the hopes of getting 100K from an SEC school.

Yes, but think of the earning power of that degree from Mississippi State.

50+% return on a high-risk investment isn't too bad. Go big or go home. :)

If he attends that "school" for the next three years, pops will be shelling out close to $190,000 on high school tuition.

“We’re fortunate they (IMG) reached out to Jack. They invited him to join them. At that point, you have a decision to make and that was 100 percent Jack’s decision.’’

Oh, I buy that. 100% Yep.:rolleyes:

OK4P, I have a honest question. If a kid could get into Stanford academically with a chance to walk on athletically, or receive a athletic scholarship to a lot of other schools which route would you go.

OK4P, I have a honest question. If a kid could get into Stanford academically with a chance to walk on athletically, or receive a athletic scholarship to a lot of other schools which route would you go.

Totally depends on facts. If four star lineman who had an Iowa or Wisconsin offer, send there because decent shot at NFL. If 2 star with offer at UNI and Eastern Illinois, Stanford (or Harvard) all the freaking way. If 3 star who had scholly at Duke, Vandy or Northwestern, send there. The entry level options and career earnings potential out of a good school are just so much better. I think a lot of parents have special snowflake syndrome and think junior is going to be the one out of thousands who play at Miami of Ohio or Eastern Michigan or Eastern Illinois or Northern Iowa who will be that next Ben Rapelsberger, Tony Romo or Kirk Warner.

My boss' son had the opportunity that you mentioned. Had offers from UNI and Navy, and a walk on offer at Iowa. Went to Stanford as a walk-on, red-shirted, then right before his 2nd year, he was offered a full ride. He is now their starting NG. He got the best of both worlds, getting a great education and is playing a little ball.

My boss' son had the opportunity that you mentioned. Had offers from UNI and Navy, and a walk on offer at Iowa. Went to Stanford as a walk-on, red-shirted, then right before his 2nd year, he was offered a full ride. He is now their starting NG. He got the best of both worlds, getting a great education and is playing a little ball.

Was he the kid from Iowa that had a couple nice stops in the bowl game.

The $66K figure is for parents from gleaming magnificent suburbs like Dakota Dunes. Kids with obvious talent from the tough parts or Tampa/Orlando/Muck City/West Palm Beach get academic scholarships and then make the school look good when they turn around and achieve something.

“We’re fortunate they (IMG) reached out to Jack. They invited him to join them. At that point, you have a decision to make and that was 100 percent Jack’s decision.’’

IMG: "You know, Jack, we don't just invite anyone to pay us $66,000 per year. You're special."

Jack: "Hurrrrrrrrr."

IMG: "Please have your dad sign this NFL-logo wire-transfer form, suitable for framing."

IMG: "You know, Jack, we don't just invite anyone to pay us $66,000 per year. You're special."

Jack: "Hurrrrrrrrr."

IMG: "Please have your dad sign this NFL-logo wire-transfer form, suitable for framing."

I lol'd, and spit water on my work monitor.

The $66K figure is for parents from gleaming magnificent suburbs like Dakota Dunes. Kids with obvious talent from the tough parts or Tampa/Orlando/Muck City/West Palm Beach get academic scholarships and then make the school look good when they turn around and achieve something.

I suspect that is the case. They'll cash the checks from the parents who have the money knowing full well their kids are probably wannabes. But hey the players that'll be good need tackling dummies. With the studs born from the single mom working 3 fast food jobs with 5 other kids getting the schollys because they are actually athletic. I for one wouldn't want to cut my kids childhood short by sending them across the country for 3 or 4 yrs. I highly doubt the kid researched and found that school and others like and it and asked his folks if he could go there. That's the part that's too bad to me. When I was 14 I was into playing sports too. But no way would I have wanted to do that. I was way too busy chasing girls playing Super Techmo Bowl and helping dad on the farm. Turning sports into a job at that age bothers me because it's not about the kid at that point... The amount of money is irrelevant to me in the sense thats great for him if the folks have it and are willing to spend it. Weinke needs to eat too his NFL career didn't pan out so hot. HA

Latest posts