He’s (Basabe) a better player than Fuller

This team is not very good. But think how awful this team would be if Lickliter was still the coach. Basabe & Cartwright are huge upgrades over Larson & Brust.

Fuller was gone regardless of the coach. It is embarrassing that the two best players on the team are Fran's recruits.

This team is not very good. But think how awful this team would be if Lickliter was still the coach. Basabe & Cartwright are huge upgrades over Larson & Brust.

Fuller was gone regardless of the coach. It is encouraging that the two best players on the team are Fran's recruits.

Fixed it for you.

Fuller would be a better player right now. Basabe certainly has more upside. Remember that Fuller could shoot the ball a little bit and was a stronger, more physical player. He would have fared better against Minnesota's zone than Basabe, IMHO.

One thing I will say, Iowa could absolutely use Fuller on this team. Would the team have 5 more wins? No. But he'd definitely help out and I wish he would have stuck it out.

But that's done and over. If it means Iowa got Basabe because Fuller left, then it's a good trade (although I think it was a Larson-Basabe trade).

Fuller + Basabe = several more wins. Not sure about 5, but there were some close ones that Fuller would have been helpful in (particularly rebounding).

Actually, it is embarrassing. McCaffery's first two recruits are better than anyone Lickliter recruited in three years.

Quotes, like the following, drove me nuts about Lickliter. Thank God, McCaffery doesn't have the same attitude.

"The recruits that we've targeted that we feel like are going to be able to compete have got to go through some tough times. We're not recruiting an All-Big Ten player to Iowa their freshman year. If we do, great, if we can find him. But realistically, what we've had to do is recruit players who can develop into that."

Would have been nice to have Fuller around this year. That would have made it so the Hawks depended less on McKabe... that would have allowed him to grow into the college game a bit more.

Actually, it is embarrassing. McCaffery's first two recruits are better than anyone Lickliter recruited in three years.

Quotes, like the following, drove me nuts about Lickliter. Thank God, McCaffery doesn't have the same attitude.

"The recruits that we've targeted that we feel like are going to be able to compete have got to go through some tough times. We're not recruiting an All-Big Ten player to Iowa their freshman year. If we do, great, if we can find him. But realistically, what we've had to do is recruit players who can develop into that."

Embarrassing for who? Lickliter? Sure. For Hawkeye fans? Not this Hawkeye fan.

Fuller would be a better player right now. Basabe certainly has more upside. Remember that Fuller could shoot the ball a little bit and was a stronger, more physical player. He would have fared better against Minnesota's zone than Basabe, IMHO.

"I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with you, yeah." Basabe has a much better shot and better range than Fuller. Basabe has proven that he can hit the 15 footer consistently. Don't ever remember getting that from Aaron.

"I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with you, yeah." Basabe has a much better shot and better range than Fuller. Basabe has proven that he can hit the 15 footer consistently. Don't ever remember getting that from Aaron.

Fuller could hit 3 pointers. Basabe has probably a better mid range game. Inside I think they are similar. This one is close. On offense I think they are a wash.

Overall, I'll take Basabe because of his D because of his shot blocking ability.

Fuller would be a physically mature 3rd year player this year at Iowa. He was really starting to find his niche in the second half of last years schedule,and would have undoubtedly been a better scorer and shooter this year. He had that spin move on the dribble down pat late in the year and with his strength was tough to defend.

Mel will be better,but we sure could have used Aaron this year...shame he moved on.

I'm all for players who want to be here. Fuller was the best player on last year's team for sure, and it'd be nice to have him playing next to Melsahn, but cest la vie.

IMO Basabe is a better player based on his defensive abilities. He is an outstanding shotblocker and seems to have a nose for the basketball.

Fuller could hit 3 pointers. Basabe has probably a better mid range game. Inside I think they are similar. This one is close. On offense I think they are a wash.

Overall, I'll take Basabe because of his D because of his shot blocking ability.

Fuller from 3 point land:

2008-2009: 22/74 29.7%

2009-2010: 6/30 20%

Fuller from 3 point land:

2008-2009: 22/74 29.7%

2009-2010: 6/30 20%

Obviously not very high percentages, but I can't recall Mel even attempting a 3 point shot this year. So I would still give the edge to Fuller as far as a 3 point shooter.

Obviously not very high percentages, but I can't recall Mel even attempting a 3 point shot this year. So I would still give the edge to Fuller as far as a 3 point shooter.

Mel knows he more than likely will not hit from downtown so he does not shoot it. Fuller shot a terrible percentage from 3 point land and still chucked them up. 3-point ability should be a non-factor in aruging who is a better player between Fuller and Basabe.

Mel knows he more than likely will not hit from downtown so he does not shoot it. Fuller shot a terrible percentage from 3 point land and still chucked them up. 3-point ability should be a non-factor in aruging who is a better player between Fuller and Basabe.

Also think Mel's natural inclination is to work down low, not out on the perimeter, so he's not going to throw up the 3.

With results like that, you might give the edge to Basabe for being smart enough to realize where his strengths are.

Latest posts