Hawks Poised to Get 4 Star DL

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
http://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/hawks-land-big-time-dl

The Iowa football program will be getting the commitment of defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson, that according to a few tweets from 247sports.com staffers, plus VoiceoftheHawkeyes.com.

Rivals.com rates him as a four star prospect and the 11th best defensive tackle in the nation. Scout.com rates also rates him as a four star prospect and the 20th best tackle in the nation...247 also rates him as a four-star prospect.

Rivals says he's 6-2/277 while Scout and 247 list him at 6-3/290.

All agree that Johnson is a dominant interior presence for Montini high school in Westchester, Illinois. He's also not the 'typical' sized defensive tackle that Iowa has landed during the Ferentz era. While they have landed some players with size (Christian Ballard came in around 270), most of Iowa's inside 'success stories' were lighter and had the weight and strength put on them in their early years of the program.

Here is a video with some of Johnson's highlights from his junior year

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-aHADFslQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsphO_EZ7-Q[/ame]

Any chance we move him to OL? He blocks pretty well in the open field and likes to put people on thier ***.

He smokes Diamond in that Army Combine Video (1:07), then gets in his face. Dude looks like an absolute stud.

Straight tosses some dude at about 50 seconds as well.

Last edited:
This is three years in a row that the Hawks have landed at least one top target at the DT position. Carl Davis, Darian Cooper, and Jaleel Johnson all break the mold of what Iowa had been recruiting at DT; I'm intrigued to see how the three of them turn out.

That's great news. I think with our line coaches, he could be good. Seems like he's got a motor in him, and he is obviously got the size. Wonder what he comes in at after 12-18 months in the program?

247 is the only one reporting this and not a peep on twitter or any other site. That was three hours ago. I was excited about this at 4:00 however with the lack of follow up on this, I'm starting to wonder if the 247 guys jumped the gun.

Man I hope this is real. He pretty much put everyone but one guy to shame in that video. He is huge and has a motor. But even being that big he doesn't look like he has much fat on him.

What (or who) is 247sports.com?

247sports is another site equivalent to Rivals and Scout except they are a lot newer to the scene. The site seems to be bigger at schools out east and only recently did Iowa get a site on their network started by Todd Brommelkamp who was at the Iowa Rivals site. I know they have a lot of ground to make up over Scout and Rivals and I think they try their hardest to scoop recruiting stories over the other two. It was the recruiting guy on the MSU site that started tweeting that JJ was committing to Iowa and then the Iowa guys started tweeting it as well. However, the deafening silence from Coach EJ, Kakert at rivals, and Howe at Scout have me a little skeptical about their scoop.

It's been nearly a foregone conclusion, at first thanks to Reese Flemming and then follow ups elsewhere that Johnson was gonna commit to Iowa. Follow that up with Flemmings tweet last night and then the chatter today and it would be a surprise at this point if it didn't happen. But, that's why I have the '?' at end of the front page item ;)

5 star tackle who's got some interest in Iowa. it'd be one hell of a long shot for us to land him however.

I don't want to go off topic, but wasn't Jordan high on the Hawks early in his recruitment process? Heck I wouldn't mind getting him or his QB.

Latest posts