Hawks Off the Radar for 2010

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
This is the time of year when we start to get teased with daily releases of preseason Top 25 rankings by the magazines. Athlon is first out of the box as you can see at this link. They released their #23 ranking today and it was the Wisconsin Badgers. More on that in a bit.

Adam Rittenberg is a blogger for ESPN focusing on the Big Ten. He has filed a comprehensive and entertaining post Spring wrap up piece where he has listed his own set of Big Ten Power Rankings heading into next season.

Here are his rankings:

1. Ohio State
2. Nebraska
3. Michigan State
4. Wisconsin
5. Penn State
6. Northwestern
7. IOWA
8. Michigan
9. Illinois
10. Purdue
11. Minnesota
12. Indiana

I am going to put something together along these lines later in the week so I don't want to steal too much thunder from that, but Wisconsin at four and at #23 for Athlon is interesting.

One, this league is not going to be as good across the board as it was last year, at least in my opinion. Before the season began in 2010, Ohio State, Iowa and Wisconsin were in the BCS conversation. This year might see the Big Ten as a one-bid BCS team, where they have had two BCS bids in the vast majority of the years of the BCS.

Wisconsin must replace two NFL offensive linemen in Gabe Carimi and John Moffit. They must replace TE Lance Kendricks and WR/Returner David Gilreath, a two year starter at quarterback in Scott Tolzein and RB John Clay. Clay is the easiest player to replace, as the Badgers have a full running back stable. Kendricks was their leading receiver, with Gilreath 4th. Carimi and Moffit were beasts...yeah, I give the Badgers the benefit of the doubt on the OL the way I do Iowa, but not the benefit of the doubt they are going to have two players step in at that level...plus, the quarterback situation is a total wild card and their heir apparent was not in place the way it is at Iowa.

On defense, they lose JJ Watt and their other two top tacklers from one year ago, but do return three DL starters...just one LB, and they lose SS Jay Valai and Nile Brinkley. Iowa loses a load on defense as well, more than Wisconsin.

That being said, I don't see a great deal that separates these two teams, save one thing; the schedule.

Wisconsin does not play a road game until October 22nd and only has four all year. They host UNLV, Oregon State, South Dakota, Nebraska, Indiana Purdue and Penn State at home, with a game against Northern Illinois in Chicago. The best friend for a young quarterback is the home crowd and a running game and Wisconsin will have both. Whomever wins their QB job just needs to be an adequate game manager and not someone that is going to have to go out there and win some games the way that Scott Tolzein was able to do last season (16-6 TD/INT ratio). They have an 8-4/9-3 schedule, but they are a 7-5 team. It will be interesting to watch it play out.

Look for HawkeyeNation.com's preseason Big Ten Power rankings soon.

I personally think this is Iowa’s year….they’ll end up having even more NFL draft picks off next year’s team than this past year and they’ll win 10 games minimum, with a shot to play in the first annual Big 10 Championship game.

Chad

While my preference for the Hawks is that they be on the radar and successful, I'll take them being off the radar and successful.

Behind NW despite being able to play D and having a running game.. man.. certainly can't argue with it due to recent history.. but it still stings to see.

I personally think this is Iowa’s year….they’ll end up having even more NFL draft picks off next year’s team than this past year and they’ll win 10 games minimum, with a shot to play in the first annual Big 10 Championship game.

Chad

?
more in next years draft?

Chad
Well, I guess it's okay to dream....

Prater, McNutt, Reiff - if he comes out, maybe Daniels and Binns. Who else? Hey, but I'm with you on the 10 wins.

Prater, Reiff (will come out) McNutt, Zeus has a bigger upside than even Vandy did, Binns, Daniels has a shot if he has a big year, Hyde assuming he comes out. Herman is faster and bigger than Reisner and will get looks with a good year and Tyler Nielsen is an AJ Edds clone only faster. If he is healthy no way a 6-4 245 Lber that I've seen suggested might run as low as a 4.58 ( nfldraftscout.com ) doesn't get drafted.

Also with a healthy year and about 10 more Lbs it's not impossible Gettis gets a look based on what has been said about him when he is healthy.

Chad

Prater, McNutt, Reiff - if he comes out, maybe Daniels and Binns. Who else? Hey, but I'm with you on the 10 wins.

2012 NFL Draft

Locks:
Reiff
McNutt
Prater
Nielsen

Drafted with a solid year:
Herman
Zusevics
Daniels

Hopeful late rounders with good years:
Binns
Gettis

If Herman has the type of numbers the usual #1 TE at Iowa has I would put him as a lock. He will be just as good of a blocker as Reisner was his Senior year but is faster and more athletic. Reisner came out and said that about Herman himself last year. Had their not been this lockout problem, Reisner may very well have been drafted. With teams using draft picks to fill needs, their wasn't the luxury of being able to take as many chances with developmental players.

If Zusevics can improve upon an already solid year I think he will be close to a lock too. Vandervelde had himself a solid year and put up decent test number and landed himself a 5th round draft pick. Surprising to many. I think Zusevics has the tools to make it in the NFL as a RT as long as he keeps his head in the right place. If Charlie Johnson and Jeff Linkenbach can start a game at T in the NFL, so can Zuse.

While Diesel is undersized for a DT, he definitely has a chance to get drafted. He is close to Babs size when he was at Iowa. Diesel is the strongest guy on the team and if he puts up the numbers to garner All-B10 awards, he should hear his name called next April.

Prater, Reiff (will come out) McNutt, Zeus has a bigger upside than even Vandy did, Binns, Daniels has a shot if he has a big year, Hyde assuming he comes out. Herman is faster and bigger than Reisner and will get looks with a good year and Tyler Nielsen is an AJ Edds clone only faster. If he is healthy no way a 6-4 245 Lber that I've seen suggested might run as low as a 4.58 ( nfldraftscout.com ) doesn't get drafted.

Also with a healthy year and about 10 more Lbs it's not impossible Gettis gets a look based on what has been said about him when he is healthy.

Chad

Keep in mind guys Zeus is a very athletic 6-5 300 now and with a little more meat and a good offensive line year how does the NFL pass up a guy like that. Binns is a freakish athlete himself with very long arms who could probably stand up or play in a 3-point stance and Gettis has been called a brawler and at 6-4 can surely get to the 290 pluses which is big enuff for an NFL guard. Lots of talent on next years squad and some of our best talent may still be underclassmen.

This is a classic Iowa team that will be underappreciated by even some of our fans until midseason.

Chad

2012 NFL Draft

Locks:
Reiff
McNutt
Prater
Nielsen

Herman
Zusevics
Daniels

Binns
Gettis

If Herman has the type of numbers the usual #1 TE at Iowa has I would put him as a lock. He will be just as good of a blocker as Reisner was his Senior year but is faster and more athletic. Reisner came out and said that about Herman himself last year. Had their not been this lockout problem, Reisner may very well have been drafted. With teams using draft picks to fill needs, their wasn't the luxury of being able to take as many chances with developmental players.

If Zusevics can improve upon an already solid year I think he will be close to a lock too. Vandervelde had himself a solid year and put up decent test number and landed himself a 5th round draft pick. Surprising to many. I think Zusevics has the tools to make it in the NFL as a RT as long as he keeps his head in the right place. If Charlie Johnson and Jeff Linkenbach can start a game at T in the NFL, so can Zuse.

While Diesel is undersized for a DT, he definitely has a chance to get drafted. He is close to Babs size when he was at Iowa. Diesel is the strongest guy on the team and if he puts up the numbers to garner All-B10 awards, he should hear his name called next April.

Good stuff Briggs you are thinking like me only, I really think with a rebound year and a low 4.7ish forty which I do think he can run I see Binns as a possible "commodity" that is a 2nd/3rd round type guy. Now he obviously needs to reacquire his sophomore form but at 265 with 8 foot arms and a 4.7 forty that's a guy the NFL will love.

Chad

Chad

What? He has started one year and has not redshirted. He is also moving to safety. What makes you think he will leave early?

And now, the 2012 NFL Draft, WITHOUT fan blinders on.

Locks:
Reiff
McNutt
Prater

Nielsen (needs to stay healthy all year)
Daniels (need to show he can play consistent for 4 quarters)

Binns
Herman
Zusevics

What? He has started one year and has not redshirted. He is also moving to safety. What makes you think he will leave early?

You must have missed it but he has already been asked.....multiple times actually and he is on record with it is something he would consider but right now he is focused on getting better and learning sfty. It will be an option with another year like last...

Chad

PS....I would imagine if you went to the gazette on line to the Morehouse blog you might even find an article archived about it.

Locks:
Reiff
McNutt
Prater

Binns
Herman
Zusevics

Daniels and Zusevics get drafted. I'll bet you money on that. Name it.

Locks:
Reiff
McNutt
Prater

Binns
Herman
Zusevics

We're having a big boy talk about the NFL draft here, Clone. Come back in four years when you guys actually get someone picked and we might let you be a part of it then.

Latest posts